Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

stupid gnome dependencies in KDE

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
l.kalkstein

stupid gnome dependencies in KDE

#1 Post by l.kalkstein »

Hi

I just switched to Debian from Kubuntu and I find it much faster and solid. However, there's one very annoying thing: stupid gnome dependencies in KDE. I hate gnome and gtk and I don't want to have this trash installed. Why when I choose KDE in the installer it installs gimp, firefox and many trash from gnome like dconf, gnome-keyring and so on? Why there's even an option about package popularity contest if the installer enforces users to have gimp (probably the most popular non-core package in Debian, I guess..) and parts of gnome automatically installed? If I choose gnome DE will it bring Krita, qt and Konqueror? I bet it won't. I could stand it, but when I want to remove all of this trash apt-get marks many KDE packages as autoinstalled and wants to remove them as well. I miss old days when we were able to choose each component during installation and aptitude which was able to track unneeded packages nicely. I'm now trying to install just core packages and then install KDE without additional bloat. If you have some other ideas I'd like to hear them. Sorry for being harsh, but this gnome madness across many good distributions makes me sick and Kubuntu became hardly usable this days.

Ps. I'm using Debian strech (testing).

dasein

Re: stupid gnome dependencies in KDE

#2 Post by dasein »

This is a rant, not a question; it belongs in either "General discussion" or "Offtopic"

GarryRicketson

#3 Post by GarryRicketson »

I miss old days when we were able to choose each component during installation------ snip---
If you miss the "good old days" try this:

But you will need to learn how to live without KDE, and all the "fancy" gimmicks.
In fact you will need to learn how to install packages with out "apt" as well,
After the installation, you still need to install ,X or 'xorg" if you want a
'graphical environment'
I miss the "good old days" also, but instead of whining and crying, about
how bad the " Newest Shiniest" stuff is,....
Just "DO IT",... start with a good base, and build your system exactly like you
want it to be, and don't install anything you don't want. If need be, modify the
package so that it will work without the dependencies that you do not want.
I do realize this is easier to say, then actually DO IT, but " Sí se puede ! "
(Yes you can !)
Here, I am up to Debian 2,...

and now, More modern,..
by wizard10000 » If you miss the old days where you could choose your own components, Debian will still let you do that - you just have to do an expert install.
Yes this is true, and even some dummy like me, and I am no expert , by a long
shot,...but Debian makes is so easy, to be creative, and customize, build my own system,... and keep things like I like them.
So anyway,... I figure one rant, warrants another.

Head_on_a_Stick

#4 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Code: Select all

# apt-get install $PACKAGE --no-install-recommends
Last edited by Head_on_a_Stick on 2016-09-19 20:51, edited 1 time in total.
deadbang

l.kalkstein

#5 Post by l.kalkstein »

wizard10000 wrote:Amusing that OP singled out popularity-contest :)

The reason Debian's installer asks about popularity-contest is because that application sends data about *what* you install to Debian devs so they can decide which packages to include in a standard install - like gimp, firefox and so on.
I know what popularity contest is for, but don't you think it's meaningless when someone is enforcing parts of different DE or specific application? I wouldn't be surprised if half of KDE would be installed in gnome to make it usable and customisable, but in the other way? It's strange. :>
If you miss the old days where you could choose your own components, Debian will still let you do that - you just have to do an expert install.

Or - if it's that frustrating I guess you could ask for your money back :mrgreen:
Yes, this is what I did, but have to fix nvidia proprietary blob now. In this case your advise doesn't sound like irony anymore. ;) Nvidia should give my money back. I heard they support Linux.
Last edited by l.kalkstein on 2016-09-19 21:02, edited 1 time in total.

l.kalkstein

#6 Post by l.kalkstein »

GarryRicketson wrote:
I miss old days when we were able to choose each component during installation------ snip---
If you miss the "good old days" try this:

But you will need to learn how to live without KDE, and all the "fancy" gimmicks.
In fact you will need to learn how to install packages with out "apt" as well,
Well, I didn't mean such old days. My first distribution was knoppix around 1997 then Aurora (Fedora Core based). I didn't know there were utilities for resolving dependencies, so I was resolving them by hand. Wonderful KDE 3 times. Arch Linux which was one of my favourite distributions has old school spirit imho. However, its documentation become very outdated, so I've chosen Debian which is my favorite distribution (but I was always using it indirectly: Kubuntu, Ubuntu, Knoppix, Kali).

Ardouos

#7 Post by Ardouos »

No need to blame Debian about the default packages are installed, the default install is for new comers, people who do not care or the lazy. If you know what system and packages you want. You should start with a minimal install.

My KDE experience with Debian has always been a pleasant one. I will play with KDE 5 when Stretch becomes the next stable. :D
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

stevepusser

#8 Post by stevepusser »

I don't think there's any KDE/QT-based web browser out there that's really going to satisfy many users. There are some apps for raster image viewing and editing, but they still don't match the GIMP. Krita, which is getting sadly outdated in Debian, is more for image creation.
MX Linux packager and developer