systemd is destructive

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Re: systemd is destructive

Postby Deb-fan » 2017-04-03 00:41

Then you won't have any trouble linking to all this hard data right? :) Anyway suck my digital-dong punk.

Peace to the good nixers here sorry for the negativity. Peace out.
Deb-fan

Postby sgage » 2017-04-03 00:51

Are there no moderators here?

As for you "Deb-fan", I hope you find peace. Why are you like this? Were you born this way, or did it come upon you by degrees, or was it something you really had to work at?

Deb-fan wrote:Then you won't have any trouble linking to all this hard data right? :) Anyway suck my digital-dong punk.

Peace to the good nixers here sorry for the negativity. Peace out.
sgage

Postby bw123 » 2017-04-03 01:02

Many of the people who posted in this thread are regular posters for years of the debian forum, and I respect their opinion. I also respect the newer systemd fan boi. I meant no disrespect, I only rebutted the argument that, "Lennart is smarter than me, therefore he is smarter than everyone."

My apologies if my posts offended.
bw123

Postby edbarx » 2017-04-06 17:40

bw123 wrote:I meant no disrespect, I only rebutted the argument that, "Lennart is smarter than me, therefore he is smarter than everyone."

No doubt a developer who can revamp Linux must be intelligent. However, writing C-Code, the language in which systemd is coded, is not beyond human comprehension. C can be fun if one is aware of its power. The latter does not mean doing big coding in a few lines like in many 'popular' languages, but being able to write anything from kernels upwards.

I have a question but it is not related to computers or Linux.

Lately, I have been trying to determine if an inductance meter was giving correct readings. How did I solve the problem? Google didn't give much help. I had only a magnetic core and a piece of insulated wire that I could use to wind an inductor. The magnetic properies of the core were not known.

How did I make sure the inductance meter was reading correctly? The tools to use are the inductance meter itself and mathematics.
Debian == { > 30, 000 packages }; Debian != systemd
The worst infection of all, is a false sense of security!
It is hard to get away from CLI tools.
edbarx

Postby /tmp » 2017-04-06 18:42

Is this a safe way to replace systemd on your system?
Jessie | Intel I5-3380M | Dell Latitude e6530 Laptop | 4 GB RAM | Intel HD Graphics 4000

"To check for updates, you must first install an update for Windows Update."
/tmp

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-04-06 18:53

/tmp wrote:Is this a safe way to replace systemd on your system?

No, many things will break.

Use Devuan instead, that's what it's for...

Or Alpine Linux. Or Void. Or SliTaZ. Or TinyCore. Or Slackware. Or OpenBSD. Or HardenedBSD. Or FreeBSD. Or TrueOS. Or DragonFly BSD. Or Haiku. Or 9front. Or...

:mrgreen:
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby /tmp » 2017-04-06 19:12

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Or Alpine Linux. Or Void. Or SliTaZ. Or TinyCore. Or Slackware. Or OpenBSD. Or HardenedBSD. Or FreeBSD. Or TrueOS. Or DragonFly BSD. Or Haiku. Or 9front. Or...

Damn. :( I may just dual-boot to FreeBSD if it plays nicely with my laptop's hardware.

Also, is there any way of reversing the decision at the upper echelons of Debian's development?
Jessie | Intel I5-3380M | Dell Latitude e6530 Laptop | 4 GB RAM | Intel HD Graphics 4000

/tmp

Postby pylkko » 2017-04-06 19:18

/tmp wrote:[
Damn. :( I may just dual-boot to FreeBSD if it plays nicely with my laptop's hardware.

At the freebsd forum there is a sticky thread about laptop compatibility. Suprisingly much works, but the support is not nearly as good as linux (of course).
Also, is there any way of reversing the decision at the upper echelons of Debian's development?

I think that "ship sailed already" so to speak.
pylkko

Postby sgage » 2017-04-06 19:36

/tmp wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:

Why 'Damn'? You asked about a way to remove systemd from Debian. Devuan IS Debian with systemd removed - works beautifully. I've been using it for months. Instead, though, you talk going to FreeBSD, which if you haven't messed with it, is very, very different from Debian or any other distro. Give Devuan a try...
sgage

Postby Danielsan » 2017-04-06 19:56

I have Devuan on a laptop but I am not suitable for a stable release, eventually I had to backport many pieces like the kernel.
With the adoption of systemd we can say Debian is not anymore a conservative distro like Gentoo or Slackware, so if you want really use Devuan is because you have (or want) a conservative approach.

However I am still sitting on the river's edge waiting for the corpse of systemd, a giant hole is hiding somewhere ready to revenge all of us... :twisted:
Danielsan

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2017-04-06 20:03

Danielsan wrote:I am not suitable for a stable release

Yes, we've noticed...

EDIT: scnr
Black Lives Matter

Debian buster-backports ISO image: for new hardware support
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby /tmp » 2017-04-06 20:05

sgage wrote:
Why 'Damn'? You asked about a way to remove systemd from Debian. Devuan IS Debian with systemd removed - works beautifully. I've been using it for months. Instead, though, you talk going to FreeBSD, which if you haven't messed with it, is very, very different from Debian or any other distro. Give Devuan a try...

I'm trying to use plain old Debian partly as a working example of a stable and reliable distro for work (my boss uses CentOS and I'm trying to switch us to Debian).
I used to use FreeBSD years ago so I'm somewhat familiar with it; I like knowing multiple *NIX ways to solve problems :)

/tmp

Postby sgage » 2017-04-06 20:11

/tmp wrote:
sgage wrote:

I'm trying to use plain old Debian partly as a working example of a stable and reliable distro for work (my boss uses CentOS and I'm trying to switch us to Debian).
I used to use FreeBSD years ago so I'm somewhat familiar with it; I like knowing multiple *NIX ways to solve problems :)

That's cool. I just wanted to let you know that Devuan IS stable and reliable - it's Debian without systemd, that's all. But you know what you're doing, and what you want...
sgage

Postby Danielsan » 2017-04-06 20:29

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Yes, we've noticed...

This was funny :D

EDIT: scnr

But this one was... :lol:
Last edited by Danielsan on 2017-04-07 13:47, edited 1 time in total.
Danielsan

Postby /tmp » 2017-04-07 13:33

sgage wrote:
/tmp wrote:
sgage wrote:

That's cool. I just wanted to let you know that Devuan IS stable and reliable - it's Debian without systemd, that's all. But you know what you're doing, and what you want...

I'm more concerned about fracturing the GNU/Linux landscape further. Let's say that Devuan becomes discontinued in a year. Would I be able to change repos on the system and point them back to Debian GNU/Linux without breaking the system?

/tmp

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion