Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Note taking app recommendation

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Senlis

Note taking app recommendation

#1 Post by Senlis »

I have been diving into the myriad of note taking app possibilities, and was hoping someone would give me some suggestions here. I was using google keep and task warrior before, but Google ending chrome apps means I can't use keep offline for much longer. I really like task warrior, but the lack of remarks on tasks makes it difficult for me to keep a log.

I have already gone through Evernote and OneNote before going to Keep. This time I hope to settle on a note app I will use for a long time. My request is for an app that is cross platform with native apps for at least Windows, Mac, Linux and Android. What I have seen so far is:

WizNote: seems nice, and I don't think I will use enough data to have to pay. Based in China makes me nervous though.
Laterna: also seems nice. I Like that I can use my Dropbox storage. Promises android support, but how will that work with Dropbox syncing?
Simple note: I like the unlimited storage even though it is only text. I think I could use hyperlinks to reference documents and websites. Also, I use tags to organize anyway. However, I am weary that one day I will really want some more features than it provides.

What do you recommend. I would greatly appreciate help finding a solution I will be able to stick with this time.

debiman

Re: Note taking app recommendation

#2 Post by debiman »

isn't tomboy the way to go usually?

deborah-and-ian

#3 Post by deborah-and-ian »

Senlis wrote:This time I hope to settle on a note app I will use for a long time.
Zim could be up your alley. The app is not the prettiest and not hyped, but has a stable support base. See here on how to integrate with cloud services.

I personally just use the task thing in Icedove, but I don't need syncing and anything else beyond plain text.
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

L_V

#4 Post by L_V »

cherrytree is a very good one.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#5 Post by oswaldkelso »

Emacs org-mode

http://orgmode.org/
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

deborah-and-ian

#6 Post by deborah-and-ian »

oswaldkelso wrote:Emacs org-mode

http://orgmode.org/
Or taskwarrior for vim :D
Debian GNU/Linux 9 Stretch w/Openbox

Acer Aspire E5-521G
AMD A8-6410 APU
4 GB RAM
integrated AMD Mullins
dedicated AMD Hainan Radeon R5 M240 2 GB
240 GB Toshiba Q300 SSD
Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 ethernet
Qualcomm Atheros QCA9565 wireless

sjukfan

#7 Post by sjukfan »

I use Tomboy here, mostly because it can sync with some mobile phone app through WebDAV. Gnote if you don't like mono.

Try xpad for a no frills sticky note.
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX

Gusto

#8 Post by Gusto »

sudo apt-get install friend. ;)

pylkko

#9 Post by pylkko »

I like to use markdown and therefore use plain text. Then I can handle version control, cross platform access, and remote saving via git. You can even get real-time markdown rendering in EMACS, R, Gedit, and many other editors, although that is not even important, since you can always read markdown without rending or have it rendered in non-real-time to html, for example, which any platform can display.

For me the most important things are:
  • The application is not heavy
  • Version control is possible
  • Notes are stored in such a way that they can be read without said app and can be transferred to another app (either automatically or manually) or html/pdf whatever. This way the same text can be reused or moved to anywhere with ease (web publised, made into a pdf, word/odt).
  • Syncing, so that I avoid the situation that "there are some notes here and other there and wait... even more over there".
Nowadays I like to write almost everything like this. Only very large documents like articles or books call for libreoffice/scribus.