GNOME default for Stretch?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Re: GNOME default for Stretch?

Postby phenest » 2016-12-03 23:00

sjukfan wrote:But from what I've heard it seems like a lot of people who run Gnome 3 says there's some extensions or whatsnot that you *have* to install, or articles like The 10 things you have to do after installing Gnome 3. But that might be old things that you don't have to do any longer.

Gimmicky extensions. It's not like Gnome 3 won't work without them or you've lost any functionality by not having them. The first program I install to add some functionality after installing Gnome 3 is... Gnome Terminal!
NEC Spirit 550 P4 3.8GHz HT - 2GB RAM - nVidia 7600GT - Pioneer BDR-209DBK
ASUS Sabertooth P67 i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - 2x nVidia 660GTX SLI'd
phenest

Postby Bulkley » 2016-12-03 23:55

sjukfan wrote:I'm not much of a DE guy at all, I run openbox and tint2 and I'm happy as a pig in mud.

Me too. I don't even have a display manager; I log in from the CLI prompt using sx.

Gnome is only default if one simply selects the desktop environment. There is no need to do so.
Bulkley

Postby sunrat » 2016-12-04 02:00

Hehe, certainly did open a can of worms. I started this thread due to observing what seems to be a disproportionate amount of support questions here concerning Gnome, but that may be just because, being default, it may have a larger number of users.
There are 2 things that immediately come to mind -
- problems related to video acceleration being required by default
- settings that require installing Tweak Tool that are included by default in other DEs

Note I am not putting Gnome down and respect peoples' preference to use it, just airing an observation.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby phenest » 2016-12-04 10:11

sunrat wrote:Hehe, certainly did open a can of worms. I started this thread due to observing what seems to be a disproportionate amount of support questions here concerning Gnome

Why did you want to open a can of worms? It doesn't fit the title of the thread. Did you get an answer to that question, or do you just like winding people up?
sunrat wrote:There are 2 things that immediately come to mind -
- problems related to video acceleration being required by default

What problems with video acceleration? Or do you mean lack of?
sunrat wrote:- settings that require installing Tweak Tool that are included by default in other DEs

There are no settings in Gnome 3 that require the use of Tweak Tool. For that matter, there are no settings in KDE, Mate, etc that require the use of GUI's neither.

sunrat wrote:Note I am not putting Gnome down and respect peoples' preference to use it, just airing an observation.

Let's just hope that all the other non-Gnome members here don't air their observations as well. Otherwise, this forum is going to fill up with trivial threads like this.

Bulkley wrote:Gnome is only default if one simply selects the desktop environment. There is no need to do so.

+1
And that's all there is to it really. There is no default. You are not forced to install it.
phenest

Postby sunrat » 2016-12-04 12:18

HOAS first post answered the title question, thank you.

And one can't say there is no default. If you select "Desktop Environment" , you get Gnome unless you specifically select another DE.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2016-12-04 12:38

phenest wrote:Indexing? You mean the search box on the Overview?

Yes, I can't stand that stupid crippled launcher, it really does annoy me.

I use the shell for file searches and the search box just isn't as good as dmenu for my use case and dmenu doesn't work under Wayland :(

But I digress... :)

And hey, go easy on sunrat -- this is an interesting thread :P

sunrat wrote:- problems related to video acceleration being required by default

Well, the "fallback" desktop can be selected, although I would like to see that useless error message be reworked to point this out.

Otherwise, I would say that using hardware acceleration to move stuff around the desktop sounds like a much better idea than farming everything out to the CPU, providing the user has a half-decent graphics card.

We have so many threads started here by people trying to enable hardware acceleration for better performance, it seems strange to me to criticise GNOME for offering this functionality.

sunrat wrote:- settings that require installing Tweak Tool that are included by default in other DEs

As phenest notes, that program is only needed for convenience ;)

All of the options in the GNOME desktop can be controlled exclusively from the command line with gsettings(1), this makes the desktop tremendously flexible as it can be scripted into shape :cool:

[/$0.02]
"Only the mediocre are always at their best." — Jean Giraudoux
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby phenest » 2016-12-04 12:53

sunrat wrote:And one can't say there is no default. If you select "Desktop Environment" , you get Gnome unless you specifically select another DE.

Unless you're finding that challenging, what's the issue? Although, to be fair, it's always been said that "Desktop Environment" is vague and it should state "Gnome 3" instead just for clarity. At least then, you'd know what you're installing.

In fact, how do I (or anyone else who'd like to) tell the Debian devs this needs changing.
phenest

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2016-12-04 12:58

phenest wrote:how do I (or anyone else who'd like to) tell the Debian devs this needs changing.

https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

I think you would file it against the tasksel package but I'm not sure.
"Only the mediocre are always at their best." — Jean Giraudoux
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby phenest » 2016-12-04 13:06

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
phenest wrote:Indexing? You mean the search box on the Overview?

Yes, I can't stand that stupid crippled launcher, it really does annoy me.

I use the shell for file searches and the search box just isn't as good as dmenu for my use case and dmenu doesn't work under Wayland :(

If you have Gnome Calculator installed, you can use the search for calculations.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:But I digress... :)

I'm doing it too. Note to self: Don't digress.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:And hey, go easy on sunrat -- this is an interesting thread :P

Apologies to sunrat if I'm coming across a bit harsh. It wasn't my intention.
Yes, it is interesting. But, for me, I want to know why users keep asking this question and why it's a big deal. Perhaps it's just because Gnome is referred to as "Desktop Environment" instead of "Gnome 3".
phenest

Postby phenest » 2016-12-04 13:09

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
phenest wrote:how do I (or anyone else who'd like to) tell the Debian devs this needs changing.

https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Reporting

I think you would file it against the tasksel package but I'm not sure.

Quick question before reporting this:
I've only ever installed Debian from CD1. If you install from a DVD iso (thus having a selection of DE's), is Gnome still referred to as "Desktop Environment", and the other DE's referred to by name?
phenest

Postby kedaha » 2016-12-04 13:26

I changed to Mate when I upgraded to jessie. I haven't looked at Gnome3 in stretch yet but I will when the time comes to upgrade to stretch.
Why is it the default? I see in the wikipedia article about it:
GNOME is developed by The GNOME Project, which is composed of both volunteers and paid contributors, the largest corporate contributor being Red Hat.

Maybe Red Hat's contributing to it has something to do with it; one can but speculate... :wink:
Mate DE & OSSv4.
LaMp, WordPress; ispmail
Debian Stable & Software

Words, as is well known, are the great foes of reality. Joseph Conrad.
kedaha

Previous

Return to General Discussion