Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GNOME default for Stretch?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
n_hologram

Re: GNOME default for Stretch?

#31 Post by n_hologram »

10/10 necrosage
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

bw123

#32 Post by bw123 »

Chiefahol2 wrote:
sunrat wrote:It seems to be a common opinion among regular users here that GNOME is the worst of the popular desktop environments. I believe it is still default for Stretch. Why?
Because i've been playing with KDE 5.12.4 and it is the buggiest crashiest desktop i have ever experienced, i can't move files, i can't update, segmentation faults everywhere, root fs is constantly being corrupted.

KDE is pretty bad to be honest, GNOME is boring but at least it works.
Playing with kde 5.12.4 from where? on what? Why would you bump a two yr old thread about gnome as default desktop for this?

SQUASH ALL TROLLS LIKE BUGS!

https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... ma-desktop
resigned by AI ChatGPT

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#33 Post by sunrat »

That Chiefahol2 is definitely a troll, or just hasn't installed the latest KDE properly. It's not officially available for Stretch so is still beta software in Debian.
My own experience with Plasma 5.12.5 both on siduction, and on Stretch using NeptuneOS KDE repos, gives me the most stable and featureful system I have ever had.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

bw123

#34 Post by bw123 »

sunrat wrote:That Chiefahol2 is definitely a troll, or just hasn't installed the latest KDE properly. It's not officially available for Stretch so is still beta software in Debian.
My own experience with Plasma 5.12.5 both on siduction, and on Stretch using NeptuneOS KDE repos, gives me the most stable and featureful system I have ever had.
I haven't tried anything KDE except on stretch, i think it's 5.8 it's like an early LTS or something. I've had it running for a year and a half, just doing basic stuff. I like Skrooge personal finance, and I use it to run my big TV and watch videos and dvds, also crank up the music with Juk. I did have to tweak it a LOT at first, but it is pretty darn good.

I never use gnome, so not trying to add anything to the topic. Just saying, kde on stretch is pretty good for me.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

Chiefahol2

#35 Post by Chiefahol2 »

bw123 wrote:
Chiefahol2 wrote:
sunrat wrote:It seems to be a common opinion among regular users here that GNOME is the worst of the popular desktop environments. I believe it is still default for Stretch. Why?
Because i've been playing with KDE 5.12.4 and it is the buggiest crashiest desktop i have ever experienced, i can't move files, i can't update, segmentation faults everywhere, root fs is constantly being corrupted.

KDE is pretty bad to be honest, GNOME is boring but at least it works.
Playing with kde 5.12.4 from where? on what? Why would you bump a two yr old thread about gnome as default desktop for this?
Debian 10. Because i had an opinion on GNOME/Stretch? Here's a tissue if you want one.

Chiefahol2

#36 Post by Chiefahol2 »

sunrat wrote:That Chiefahol2 is definitely a troll, or just hasn't installed the latest KDE properly. It's not officially available for Stretch so is still beta software in Debian.
I'm not a troll, I'm a real person you are more then welcome to call on Signal (I live in WA) and coach me through the installation. I've installed Debian about 50 times successfully, it's just the last few installs that are giving me constant grief.

tbqhmhsfamilam

#37 Post by tbqhmhsfamilam »

Chiefahol2 wrote:
I'm not a troll, I'm a real person you are more then welcome to call on Signal (I live in WA) and coach me through the installation. I've installed Debian about 50 times successfully, it's just the last few installs that are giving me constant grief.
Why would someone want to call you and coach you through the installation? :lol:

Chiefahol2

#38 Post by Chiefahol2 »

tbqhmhsfamilam wrote:
Chiefahol2 wrote:
Why would someone want to call you and coach you through the installation? :lol:
No need it was my RAM stick playing up. Thank you memtest86x. :oops: