Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Amazing applications that others may not be aware of

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Vergil

#31 Post by Vergil »

drivel
Drivel is a GNOME client for working with online journals, also known as weblogs or blogs. It retains an elegant design while supporting LiveJournal, Blogger, MovableType, Advogato, and Atom journals, as well as derivatives such as WordPress and Drupal.
It also does spell check and supports direct input of html.

e1even1

#32 Post by e1even1 »

Vergil wrote:drivel
what an apt name :D

jjmac

On Checkinstall

#33 Post by jjmac »

Concerning checkinstall

rickh wrote:
>>
In a nutshell, the packages it creates have no mechanism for following Debian protocols related to program installation.
>>

Incorrect, it does have the mechanism.

A person can include pre and post intall/remove scripts. But the person needs to supply them. So in that sense it does have the mechanism.

Earlier checkinstalls would also install directly, but it doesn't do that now which is good. It also builds rpms and slack packages.

plugwash wrote:

>>
I agree its a crappy tool though and i would avoid it where possible.
>>

You seem to be missing the point, it's designed to allow a src build to be managed by a packaging system in the case where an appropriate package doesn't exist.

That is, when there isn't an available build set anywhere, .dsc .diff.gz .orig.tar.gz

It is not meant to be a replacement or an alternative to the official build sets. So your comparison is out of context. Within the context of 'what it's designed for' it is a very good tool. imo deb dosen't get served by biased opinion, whether it's pro deb or other wise.

You response to mzilikazi question

mzilikazi wrote:
>>
What would you suggest in its place for those times when only a source code build will do?
>>

is evasive, or you didn't understand the question !

My answer would be to use 'dh_make', that will create a debian directory with a set of build scripts that you can edit. Then from the top directory just run '

]$ dpkg-buildpackage -rfackroot 2>&1 |tee buildlog

jm
Last edited by jjmac on 2007-04-23 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

drl

#34 Post by drl »

Hi.

There is a recent article on dh_make at http://www.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/02/21/1546215 briefly comparing checkinstall to it ... cheers, drl
["Sure, I can help you with that." -- USBank voice recognition system.
( Mn, 2.6.x, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 3 GB, SATA + IDE, NV34 )
Debian Wiki | Packages | Backports | Netinstall

maria22

#35 Post by maria22 »

hi all..where i can find Gaim ??:)
sweet dreams.

mzilikazi
Forum Account
Forum Account

#36 Post by mzilikazi »

maria22 wrote:hi all..where i can find Gaim ??:)
You can't. AOL killed it.
Now it's called pidgin:
http://www.pidgin.im/
Debian Sid Laptops:
AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core Processor TK-55 / 1.5G
Intel(R) Pentium(R) Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz / 3G

rickh

#37 Post by rickh »

# aptitude install gaim

Nice article on dh_make there, drl. Bookmarked. One of these days ...

I wouldn't use checkinstall on a bet. I'd rather just compile from source. My aversion to it comes from Martin Krafft's book. He implies that it'd be a cold day in hell before he ever used it.
Last edited by rickh on 2007-04-25 18:06, edited 2 times in total.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64
Desktop: Generic Core 2 Duo, EVGA 680i, Nvidia
Laptop: Generic Intel SIS/AC97

rickh

#38 Post by rickh »

# aptitude install gaim

Nice article on dh_make there, drl. Bookmarked. One of these days ...

I wouldn't use checkinstall on a bet. I'd rather just compile from source. My aversion to it comes from Martin Krafft's book. He implies that it'd be a cold day in hell before he ever used it.

Edit: Oops! Sorry.
Last edited by rickh on 2007-04-25 18:06, edited 1 time in total.
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

plugwash

Re: On Checkinstall

#39 Post by plugwash »

jjmac wrote:You seem to be missing the point, it's designed to allow a src build to be managed by a packaging system in the case where an appropriate package doesn't exist.

That is, when there isn't an available build set anywhere, .dsc .diff.gz .orig.tar.gz
unless the build/install system is particularlly strage i still think you are better off doing it properly, it may be a bit of extra work the first time but it means that you don't have to do the whole process manually next time you want to build it.

Spontan

#40 Post by Spontan »

Back on topic please. Im one of those noobs that wants to see what turns up. BUMP Baby!

chrismortimore

#41 Post by chrismortimore »

falconseye - all the joys of nethack, but in 3D :)
katapult - think of a "Run command..." dialog box, but make it pretty, with autocomplete, and give it a calculator and the ability to change what song Amarok is playing.
kile - latex for idiots
moon-buggy - the ultimate game to waste your life with
njam - a really good pacman remake
rcconf - a lazy-mans tool for disabling services you don't need
sed - not enough people know the power of it
unison - lets you sync multiple computers with one click
yakuake - a doom-style terminal for KDE

Not sure how many of these count as unknown apps, but they all are cool :)
Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 5x320GB WD 7200rpm Caviar RE2 (RAID5), Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M 1.5GHz, 512MB PC2700, 60GB 5400rpm IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB

chrismortimore

Re: Amazing applications that others may not be aware of

#42 Post by chrismortimore »

AgenT wrote:KMplayer:This is NOT KDE's version of Mplayer (that is KPlayer). KMPlayer uses many different backends, including xine and mplayer, to play media. Big feature is the nice intergration with Konqueror for imbedded media.
Just tried this out by the way, it's kick ass :) Thank ye for enlightening me.
Desktop: AMD Athlon64 3800+ Venice Core, 2GB PC3200, 5x320GB WD 7200rpm Caviar RE2 (RAID5), Nvidia 6600GT 256MB
Laptop: Intel Pentium M 1.5GHz, 512MB PC2700, 60GB 5400rpm IBM TravelStar, Nvidia 5200Go 64MB

sleepyEDB

#43 Post by sleepyEDB »

mrxvt

From the project homepage:
Mrxvt (previously named materm) is a lightweight, powerful multi-tabbed terminal emulator for the X window system. mrxvt is based on rxvt version 2.7.11 CVS and aterm. It implements many useful features seen in some modern X terminal emulators (like gnome-terminal and konsole) but aims to be fast, lightweight and independent of standard toolkits or desktop environments (e.g. Gnome / KDE).
I started using mrxvt because it supports transparency with multiple tabs and is highly customizable through the use of the .mrxvtrc file. If you'd like a copy of my .mrxvtrc file, just let me know. :)

sleepy
"The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. While you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley

drl

#44 Post by drl »

Hi.

jot

This is really more of a utility. I use it in scripts. If you don't do much in a terminal window, it would likely be of little value to you.

I first ran across it in the really big first edition of O'Reilly's UNIX Power Tools. I see that it is still mentioned in the 3rd edition on page 554, but I see no additional reference ... cheers, drl

Code: Select all

apt-cache show athena-jot

Athena jot - or simply jot - prints out increasing, decreasing, random,
 or redundant data, usually numbers, one per line.
 It's a tiny C program very useful within shell scripts
["Sure, I can help you with that." -- USBank voice recognition system.
( Mn, 2.6.x, AMD-64 3000+, ASUS A8V Deluxe, 3 GB, SATA + IDE, NV34 )
Debian Wiki | Packages | Backports | Netinstall

rickh

#45 Post by rickh »

Here's an item that's been on your system all this time, that most people don't realize.

file:///usr/share/doc/menu/html/index.html
Debian-Lenny/Sid 32/64

Qew

#46 Post by Qew »

About a year ago I met htop. Ever since then, we've been a happy couple, enjoying walks in the park, going out for meals, visiting the cinema and great process management and viewing. htop is basically the pretty yet more versatile sister of top. ;)

sleepyEDB

#47 Post by sleepyEDB »

Qew wrote:About a year ago I met htop...htop is basically the pretty yet more versatile sister of top. ;)
Thanks! I've just installed htop and am quite impressed. I even added an extra tab to my default mrxvt (terminal) configuration just for htop! :)

sleepy
"The road of life is rocky, and you may stumble too. While you point your finger, someone else is judging you." --Bob Marley

arvid

#48 Post by arvid »

jobezone

#49 Post by jobezone »

Don't know if tunapie overlaps these two apps.
streamtuner to listen to on-line radio streams,
and streamripper to record them.
The Debian Documentation website contains the FAQ, Installation Manual and the Release Notes for Etch. They're helpful if you want to learn more about debian!

DeanLinkous

#50 Post by DeanLinkous »

A bit silly, a little fun...but I use them.
saydate
saytime
No decscription needed I hope! :D
Aye, fight and you may fail, sellout, and you may live, a while. And dying in your MScash beds, you'll be willin' to trade ALL the cash, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may FUD our customers, but they'll never take...OUR FREEDOM!