my latest netbook adventure :)

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

my latest netbook adventure :)

Postby wizard10000 » 2017-01-05 15:39

Decided to take the 60GB SSD out of my PS3 (which will probably make Skyrim sad) and install it in my repurposed Atom N270 netbook running a fairly lean fluxbox installation. Disk was a bottleneck and I've had this SSD in this netbook before; the only problem is what's currently *in* the netbook is a 500gb mechanical drive.

Okay, time to read up on how to clone a big drive onto a little one. There's only about 8GB of data on this 500GB drive, so here we go...

1. I have two tools. systemrescuecd and super grub2 disk. Each is written to a USB drive. One note, though - if you write systemrescuecd to a flash drive you have to run isohybrid against the .lso image before you write it to flash drive. Did I read all the instructions all the way through before I started? No. I am smarter than systemrescuecd developers and don't have to read instructions.

2. After writing the systemrescueccd image to a flash drive correctly on the third try, I boot into systemrescue's GUI environment and grab the first 446 bytes of this hard drive and write it to a file. Gonna need this later, I think.

3. Using gparted, I shrink / and /home until there's almost no free space left. I put the SSD in a USB carrier - since this came from a playstation it has no partition table and gparted complains. I write a partition table to the SSD and clone the partitions from the 500GB drive to the SSD then resize the partitions so they take up all the space on the SSD. Note that gparted will not clone a swap partition, but it did preserve the UUIDs of root and home partitions - cool. More on this later.

4. I copy that piece of boot sector I saved earlier to the SSD and install the SSD into the netbook. Time for first reboot.

5. Nothing. Blinking cursor, no grub. Did I remember to set the boot flag on sda1? No. Boot from systemrescuecd once again and set the boot flag.

6. Does it boot? No.

7. Okay, used super grub2 disk for the first time, which is now my absolute favorite tool to chroot into a machine. If you don't have this in your toolkit you're really missing out as the ISO is less than 10MB and it kicks backside. super grub2 booted the installation correctly and I fired up synaptic and reinstalled grub.

8. Did it boot off the SSD this time? Yes - but fstab complains that UUID for swap partition is wrong and makes me wait a minute and a half to fix it. I fix fstab and reboot and we're back in business. Total time spent? A little more than an hour including screwups and it runs great for what it is :)

Hope this helps someone trying to clone a big drive onto a little one.

cheers -

Oh - almost forgot. I did not put the 500GB drive in the PS3, I put it in a USB3 caddy I got for xmas. What went into the playstation was a 250gb WD Black that I got several years ago in a refurbished machine and never used :)
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Re: my latest netbook adventure :)

Postby Segfault » 2017-01-05 18:00

I've replaced hard drives in my Gentoo machines many times. Gentoo is rolling distro and there is practically never any need for reinstall. I mount both drives, use cp -a to copy. Then I boot up with new drive in place and chroot to install the bootloader. Done.
Segfault

Postby wizard10000 » 2017-01-05 19:19

Segfault wrote:I've replaced hard drives in my Gentoo machines many times. Gentoo is rolling distro and there is practically never any need for reinstall. I mount both drives, use cp -a to copy. Then I boot up with new drive in place and chroot to install the bootloader. Done.

Much cleaner process - thanks. I did think that doing the copy and paste thing in gparted was pretty cool, though :mrgreen:
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Postby Segfault » 2017-01-05 19:33

I've done things the hard way, too. :oops:
Once I downloaded an RPi image that was too big for my SD card. I shrank the filesystem on that image, rewrote the partition table to reflect the change, cut the image smaller with dd ... it is probably point'n'click with some GUI tool? I did it all from CLI ...
But I could have just copied the files over with cp -a ...
I think I had a serious brain fart that day.
Segfault

Return to General Discussion