Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Is Compiz still alive?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Danielsan

Is Compiz still alive?

#1 Post by Danielsan »

Hi guys, a couple of day ago I found in stretch and sid Compiz again. That's cool but so far I remember shouldn't be it dismissed a couple of years ago? Is there anyone which is still working on it?
I am pretty confused, bye!

:?

kedaha

Re: Is Compiz still alive?

#2 Post by kedaha »

It certainly looks like it's still alive from the Homepage at launchpad.net/compiz. It's good to see it back in Debian.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Magnusmaster

#3 Post by Magnusmaster »

Compiz is being kept in life support by Canonical. When Mir is ready, Compiz is dead.

vbrummond

#4 Post by vbrummond »

Compiz was really fun back in the day. Now it's pretty much a Canonical product so I would recommend using Gnome 3 or KDE for fancy effects.
Always on Debian Testing

Danielsan

#5 Post by Danielsan »

Compiz has a lot of nice features but meanwhile is available on the repo I might give it a chance, indisputably I believe is better than xwfm4, isn't it?

kedaha

#6 Post by kedaha »

As well as stable I have testing and sid on my desktop computer so I installed Compiz on stretch and it looks pretty spectacular (the cube, wobbly windows etc).
Gnome II and compiz were my ideal desktop in the past so I'm looking forward to using the version packaged for Debian with mate, unless, that is, it gets removed or something before stretch is released as stable ...
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#7 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

I used to use compiz (0.8.x) with xfce but moved to kwin when it was removed (after hanging on until changing dependencies made it problematic to keep).

Was never too fussed with wobbly windows or the cube, but the 'expose' feature to show all workspaces and shuffle windows between them is a killer feature for me.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Innovate

#8 Post by Innovate »

As long it appear on repository it's not fully dead. Just like humanity icon the sources is old but the package is still updated.

I don't use compiz anymore. Too buggy whether on any distro I've tried.
Although it can fixed my Xfce screen tearing on Jessie.
But the prize of heaviness & buggyness won't worth at all. I don't even like woobly window looks weak.
I'm end up with compton, kwin if neccessary.

HuangLao

#9 Post by HuangLao »

compiz is full of bad messy code, that's why everyone dropped it except Canonical.

Magnusmaster

#10 Post by Magnusmaster »

I tried Compiz today. At first it worked fine, but it had an awful default theme. I tried to change it to a metacity theme, and then Compiz started having a seizure and broke down, so I uninstalled it. Haven't tried Emerald but it's not on Debian and I can't be bothered to compile it from source.

debiman

#11 Post by debiman »

https://davmac.wordpress.com/2014/11/08 ... stupidity/

disclaimer:
i don't agree with the author's abusive tone.
however, the facts remain, and this is not the only critical article i've seen about compiz.

coz_

#12 Post by coz_ »

Hey guys,
Compiz reloaded is still very much alive, however you would need to install mate-desktop and I believe cinnamon-destop.
For Mate, compiz reloaded is available and actually is what compiz-fusion was a while ago.
Now, I don't use debian, anylonger but switched to fedora 28 mate. I hope this doesn't offend. I re created a video of compiz reloaded that was done about 11 years ago by Sam Spilsbury on compiz fusion. I used the music from his video.
Sam's original video is here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epRjN9EkYY4
My sad attempt at first time video editing is here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1PjjBWgqKE
So, compiz is definitely still alive, BUT, the compiz 0.09 series which Sam Spilsbury is now the lead developer of, does not have many of the plugins available.
Compiz reloaded does have all of them, and of course, some are just for "fun".
Sam's video has more of the functionality of compiz, my video was my excitement of compiz return.

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

No, compiz-reloaded runs fine in most desktops except KDE and GNOME 3. We have it in the MX repos and it's quite popular with our standard XFCE users. Debian users can get it from http://compiz-debian.tuxfamily.org/

Somebody wanted Buster packages, so I put up an OBS repo for those: https://build.opensuse.org/project/show ... d-rebuilds
MX Linux packager and developer

coz_

#14 Post by coz_ »

Thanks stevepusser good to know.
I have been away from compiz for some time. Real good to know it is still on most desktops. I assume it is the 0.8x series, yes?
Hope support goes on for some time.

stevepusser

#15 Post by stevepusser »

coz_ wrote:Thanks stevepusser good to know.
I have been away from compiz for some time. Real good to know it is still on most desktops. I assume it is the 0.8x series, yes?
Hope support goes on for some time.
Explained in my first tuxfamily link above. :D
MX Linux packager and developer