Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian Welcome Screen?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
VentGrey

Re: Debian Welcome Screen?

#16 Post by VentGrey »

I understand most of your points, and i don't blame you xD i also like to Debian-my way :D but maybe an optional feature for the "newbies" could help a little :wink: , as for making one i could post a github link for the project but im afraid it could break the rules,and :shock: kills me.
I would exchange everything I know in exchange for half of what I don't.

GarryRicketson

#17 Post by GarryRicketson »

by VentGrey » as for making one i could post a github link for the project but im afraid it could break the rules,and :shock: kills me.

If you are actually working on such a project, I don't think
it would break any rules to share it here,...
But if you want to be sure, ( I am not a admin nor mod,) so just
because I say so, does not mean much,.. if you want to be sure,..
HOWTO contact forum moderators/admins
Also this:
Forum guidelines. Please read before first post!
There have been occasionally various members that post links
to projects and github, so I don't think there should be any problem.

debiman

#18 Post by debiman »

VentGrey wrote:as for making one i could post a github link for the project but im afraid it could break the rules,and :shock: kills me.
wot?
but that's the whole point of F(L)OSS, that everything is opensource, everyone is (at least potentially) participating, and sharing their stuff (which is in turn taken from elsewhere)...

you need to drop your "You all linux guys, and me newb" attitude.
it's all just "us"!
i don't mean that in a naive or romantic way, no, but that's just how it is.

golinux

#19 Post by golinux »

@VentGrey . . . It's not up to Debian to make your Linux life 'easier' or to cater to your preferences. It's up to YOU to build your system just the way you want it. As noted previously, if you want OOTB hand-holding there are other distros that will do that for you.

(Seems I'm in a mood today . . .)
May the FORK be with you!

Funkygoby

#20 Post by Funkygoby »

VentGrey wrote:
To me this screen adds nothing to the usability therefore it is not welcomed on my computer.
I want my computer to be a slave who obeys my will and never gets in my way.
Then how about a first boot screen?
For what purposes?
-A seasoned Linux user won't need it.
-A newcomer from Ubuntu already knows where to find help (doc and forum) or package manager
-A newcomer from windows, maybe... but if they are already lost after login, they should go to ubuntu or mint.

Which brings me to my 2nd point. If you want to improve hand-holding, you are recreating Ubuntu and the like. And there are already thousands of those distros. And you will cause trouble to traditionals Debian users who will have to work to remove the hand-holding stuff who goes in there ways.

A motocycle would be much more comfortable, convenient, secure with a:
-roof
-heater
-gps
-more passengers seats
-1 or 2 more wheels for stability
And that's a car. Yet there are people who prefer a simple motorcycle...

VentGrey

#21 Post by VentGrey »

Well, maybe just in case someone gets interested in here is the git project :wink: .
https://github.com/VentGrey/DebianWelcome/releases
The rules are the same, 100% Free (as in freedom) software. :mrgreen:

I completely understand that some of us don't like these things a lot (i personally disable those programs) but maybe this can get some people a little more into debian, also it could help some users by sending them to manpages or tutorials so the forums can keep themselves clean from repeated questions (This is not guaranteed however).

Also thanks for your replies guys :D , this was an inspiration xD, i also know that Debian is NOT Mint or Ubuntu, i made this just for fun and maybe package it (even tho it might get rejected).

debiman

#22 Post by debiman »

VentGrey wrote:Well, maybe just in case someone gets interested in here is the git project :wink: .
https://github.com/VentGrey/DebianWelcome/releases
good!
well done!
copied from mintwelcome i presume?
the only problem is that a newb would have to install that first to even be able to see it - so not on the first boot - and if they're able to install something straight from github, they hardly need much handholding - which sort of brings us back to square 1 ... :lol:

phenest

#23 Post by phenest »

So, for it to work, it would have to be on the CD1 iso, and to be a dependency of the GNOME desktop, and it would need dependencies of it's own, and this would take up space on CD1 that has to fit on a CD, etc, etc...

You'd really have to come up with a very convincing case to get on CD1. So far, the comments here would suggest that probably won't happen. I think debiman has summarised already why this is unlikely to work.

I haven't looked at the code, but would it need any special dependencies that aren't on CD1?
ASRock H77 Pro4-M i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - Pioneer BDR-209D

debiman

#24 Post by debiman »

phenest wrote:I haven't looked at the code, but would it need any special dependencies that aren't on CD1?
it's the whole python UI (gtk most likely) enchillada, so most probably yes. otoh, mint also have it on "CD 1" so it can't be that bad...

HuangLao

#25 Post by HuangLao »

VentGrey wrote:I understand most of your points, and i don't blame you xD i also like to Debian-my way :D but maybe an optional feature for the "newbies" could help a little :wink: , as for making one i could post a github link for the project but im afraid it could break the rules,and :shock: kills me.

Good grief, no way.

Debian is not the distro for "newbies", stop trying to turn Debian into Ubuntu or Windows. If a newbie wants to learn Debian then learn it, don't say hey why is this different from xyz...If you are the sysadmin and responsible for maintaining or installing the OS for others then you make it for your customers installed from your personal repo, or create your own customized .iso. Problem solved. The day Debian turns into a user friendly distro that caters to the whims and fancies of the newbie crowd and those fleeing Windows or Apple is the day Debian will cease to be what it is.

Philosophy does matter, its what determines the road one travels. :idea:

debiman

#26 Post by debiman »

HuangLao wrote:Good grief, no way.
it's ok, we're just messing around. :mrgreen:
it's not like i haven't seen my fair share of enthusiasts who think they know the solution to something that has been working for 20 years...

VentGrey

#27 Post by VentGrey »

:V seems legit.