Do you use Google Chrome or Chromium?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Poll runs till 2017-05-31 17:21

Google Chrome
45%
Chromium
55%

Total votes : 22

Postby kcbagr » 2017-02-20 17:21

With Stretch coming out soon, I'm trying to decide whether I will be installing Chromium or Google Chrome. On Jessie's Chromium, I ran into some irritating bugs that have never been fixed: very slow load time on application start (15 seconds or more for the Chromium icon to appear in the Gnome launcher), and bugginess when trying to set Chromium as the Default web-browser. Google Chrome has neither of these bugs.

Google Chrome seems to be wanting to FORCE users to have DRM and Native Client and Flash Player enabled on their systems (removing the ability to disable these plugins recently). Since I have no desire for DRM and Flash etc, I like that Chromium doesn't have these.

The primary advantage of Google Chrome as I see it is fast updates. This would be especially true if Stretch fixes the above mentioned bugs in Jessie's Chromium. Chromium is usually two weeks behind Google Chrome's release. The update importance is for security bug fixes.

What do you all prefer?
kcbagr

Re: Do you use Google Chrome or Chromium?

Postby dasein » 2017-02-20 18:23

Neither.

Poll is flawed.
dasein

Postby wizard10000 » 2017-02-20 19:05

I use chromium on my 32-bit netbook because there is no 32-bit Chrome any more :(

All three of my machines have chromium installed but on the 64-bit machines chromium's config and cache directories are just symlinks to Chrome's config and cache.

I like chromium, I really do - but I think the maintainers may be a little busy. I've had three showstoppers in the past six months and that's more than any other package I have installed. I will say that google's decision to disable external extensions by default in chromium was kind of a lame idea.
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Postby kcbagr » 2017-02-20 22:03

wizard10000 wrote:I've had three showstoppers in the past six months and that's more than any other package I have installed.

Google Chrome has been more reliable for you?

wizard10000 wrote:All three of my machines have chromium installed but on the 64-bit machines chromium's config and cache directories are just symlinks to Chrome's config and cache.

The symlinks would require that Google Chrome be installed though, right? What is done on boxes where only Chromium is installed?
Last edited by kcbagr on 2017-02-20 22:11, edited 1 time in total.
kcbagr

Postby kedaha » 2017-02-20 22:07

I use Firefox which I would've preferred to have gone on as Iceweasel but I sometimes use Chromium; I wouldn't contaminate my pure Debian system with the other. :wink:
kedaha

Postby GarryRicketson » 2017-02-21 00:33

I don't use either one.
GarryRicketson

Postby Bulkley » 2017-02-21 00:40

dasein wrote:Neither.

Poll is flawed.

Agreed.
Bulkley

Postby wizard10000 » 2017-02-21 10:12

kcbagr wrote:Google Chrome has been more reliable for you?

Absolutely. Take a look at chromium's bugtracker sometime :)

https://bugs.debian.org/chromium

kcbagr wrote:The symlinks would require that Google Chrome be installed though, right? What is done on boxes where only Chromium is installed?

Right. On the 32-bit box chromium has the default config and cache directory, although I will say those directories came from a 64-bit Chrome installation :)
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Postby None1975 » 2017-02-21 12:09

Hello. I use chromium Debian 8.7, i3wm.
None1975

Postby arochester » 2017-02-21 12:54

alternativeto.net lists 42 Linux alternatives to Google Chrome https://alternativeto.net/software/goog ... form=linux

Some are "based on" Google Chrome. Anyone using the likes of Yandex Browser or SRWare Iron?

To some extent Google Chrome phones home. It creates unique user IDs and sends URIs to Google for search hint and marketing. As far as I know, Chromium doesn't - unless anyone can show that I am wrong.
Debian Users Forum - for questions specific to the Debian official distribution (stable, testing, or unstable); if you are using a derivative of Debian (e.g. Mint, Ubuntu, Kali, etc), then please use that distribution’s forum.
arochester

Postby kcbagr » 2017-02-21 15:42

@dasein, Bulkley, arochester

Just stop it! This thread is not a statement on whether one browser is better than another. It is intended for those people who use Chrome or Chromium. Others need not reply.
kcbagr

Postby cpoakes » 2017-02-21 15:43

C. None of the above

I don't use a browser locked into DRM.

And not a fan of chromium as the devs don't take Debian Stable seriously. Wheezy chromium hit end-of-life/no security support in January 2015 months before jessie went stable. You either had to move from stable (wheezy) to testing (jessie) before it was ready; download and use Chrome; or move to another browser. Those of us who 1) used chromium, 2) only use stable, and 3) use the year overlap between stable and oldstable to transition systems were hung out to dry.
cpoakes

Postby cpoakes » 2017-02-21 16:42

kcbagr wrote:Just stop it! This thread is not a statement on whether one browser is better than another. It is intended for those people who use Chrome or Chromium. Others need not reply.

Save for a single post, no one has mentioned a non-Chrome derived browser - so this is certainly not a discussion about which non-Chrome browser might be better.

This is a Debian forum where discussing Debian issues including the DFSG and release stability is entirely relevant. My prior post enumerates reasons to avoid both browsers based on the DFSG (avoid DSM), and the guideline "Don't break Debian" (chromium EOL in wheezy). These are relevant factors in choosing chrome or chromium, as well as none of the above. If you think this is not relevant, your survey belongs in "Offtopic" or on some other forum.
cpoakes

Postby kcbagr » 2017-02-21 17:30

cpoakes wrote:
kcbagr wrote:Just stop it! This thread is not a statement on whether one browser is better than another. It is intended for those people who use Chrome or Chromium. Others need not reply.

Save for a single post, no one has mentioned a non-Chrome derived browser - so this is certainly not a discussion about which non-Chrome browser might be better.

This is a Debian forum where discussing Debian issues including the DFSG and release stability is entirely relevant. My prior post enumerates reasons to avoid both browsers based on the DFSG (avoid DSM), and the guideline "Don't break Debian" (chromium EOL in wheezy). These are relevant factors in choosing chrome or chromium, as well as none of the above. If you think this is not relevant, your survey belongs in "Offtopic" or on some other forum.

cpoakes wrote:C. None of the above

I don't use a browser locked into DRM.

And not a fan of chromium as the devs don't take Debian Stable seriously. Wheezy chromium hit end-of-life/no security support in January 2015 months before jessie went stable. You either had to move from stable (wheezy) to testing (jessie) before it was ready; download and use Chrome; or move to another browser. Those of us who 1) used chromium, 2) only use stable, and 3) use the year overlap between stable and oldstable to transition systems were hung out to dry.

cpoakes, there is nothing wrong with either of your posts. In fact, thank you for contributing them. Your posts provide very useful information that I'm looking for. Perhaps making a poll of this thread was not as useful as initially appeared to me. But those folks who have just made a post that the poll is flawed etc and give no information invites assumption. Your stating that you don't use either browser and explaining why was very helpful. the "problems" you have with each browser actually mirror my own. DRM aversion with Chrome and security update concerns with Chromium.
kcbagr

Postby wizard10000 » 2017-02-21 18:17

kcbagr wrote:...DRM aversion with Chrome and security update concerns with Chromium.

The last security update pushed out? Stable got it before Sid.
-- anais nin
wizard10000

Next

Return to General Discussion