Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Do you use Google Chrome or Chromium?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Do you use Google Chrome or Chromium?

Poll ended at 2017-05-31 17:21

Google Chrome
45%
Chromium
55%

Total votes: 22

GarryRicketson

Re: Do you use Google Chrome or Chromium?

#16 Post by GarryRicketson »

I also do not use either , as I all ready posted. I didn't know if the OP would be interested in my reasons, it seems like they did not want any other choices, nor discussion of other options.
But I certainly would not decide which browser I would use based on a "flawed poll", if it were me, but it isn't,... I would do some research, and look at the technical aspects, and also how the browser performs on MY system,...and
that is why I do not use either one. "Google Chrome" is not in the Debian repos,
to start with,..see the "Don't break Debian",link,.....and "chromium", the last time
I used it, 2015, also "broke" my system, not only did the browser crash, but it had a tendency to take the entire system with it,...a browser should not be tied into a
system in that way,...I use my computer more "off-line" then on-line, in other words, if the browser crashes, no big deal, I still have plenty of things to do , off line, and don't really need the browser, ...but if the browser crashes the entire system,...I can not do anything, until I repair the damage done by a "flawed" browser,...No thanks, I do not need either one. Even if 100s of others use
them, I still wouldn't.
If we decided what browsers, and what OS we use simply based on what everybody else uses, or the "most popular",and "flawed polls"..We would all still be using Windows,....
---edited---removed comment ---

cpoakes

#17 Post by cpoakes »

Segfault wrote:The idea of Chromium is open source. Build it from source and enjoy. I see no point comparing pre-built Chromium with Chrome. One can use Chrome binary plugins with Chromium, DRM and everything works - if you wish. Or you can compile Chromium without support for DRM plugin.
Normally, yes. But according to the wheezy chromium end-of-life announcement, this became impractical because the chromium/chrome version increment changed to an entirely new build environment unsupported on wheezy. As a software developer, I can understand Google's reasoning to move forward and not support both the old and new build environments simultaneously (it's expensive). And chromium had no choice but to follow. Debian stable may have been abandoned for a (legitimate) business reason but we were still abandoned. As it could happen at the next toolchain change, I don't want to set myself up for that hassle again.

dasein

#18 Post by dasein »

cpoakes wrote:...your survey belongs in "Offtopic" or on some other forum.
+1

kcbagr

#19 Post by kcbagr »

cpoakes wrote:
kcbagr wrote:But those folks who have just made a post that the poll is flawed etc and give no information invites assumption.
I agree the poll is flawed specifically because I pointed out valid considerations for choosing neither. "None of the above" simply says consider something else. And I think this holds true whether the poll is "chocolate or chocolate chip?" or "abortion or adoption?".
Perhaps this title would have been clearer: Those of you who choose to use Chromium or Google Chrome, do you use Chromium or Google Chrome? If you use some other browser, you do not use Chromium or Google Chrome. But if you have experience using Chromium or Google Chrome and prefer one over the other or have some other thing to share that relates to my explanation that started the thread, I welcome your post. The purpose of the poll is to not find out how many people do not use Chrome or Chromium, but to learn (of the people that use Chrome or Chromium) which is used more.

Does it make sense now why there is no None Of The Above?

dasein

#20 Post by dasein »

kcbagr wrote:The purpose of the poll is to not find out how many people do not use Chrome or Chromium, but to learn (of the people that use Chrome or Chromium) which is used more.
With an N of 14...

(Poll is even more flawed than previously suspected.)

No_windows

#21 Post by No_windows »

dasein wrote:
kcbagr wrote:The purpose of the poll is to not find out how many people do not use Chrome or Chromium, but to learn (of the people that use Chrome or Chromium) which is used more.
With an N of 14...

(Poll is even more flawed than previously suspected.)

If you don't like it, then don't participate in the thread. It's not for you to determine the information he's interested in gathering.

Head_on_a_Stick

#22 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

kedaha wrote:I use Firefox which I would've preferred to have gone on as Iceweasel
Have you seen https://packages.debian.org/stretch/xul ... l-branding?

The .deb installs fine in jessie :)

@OP: my Debian systems use Chromium but Chrome is installed for certain sites that will not work otherwise.
deadbang

Lemongrass

#23 Post by Lemongrass »

Last edited by Lemongrass on 2017-02-26 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Debian 8.7.1 Jessie Xfce

kedaha

#24 Post by kedaha »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
kedaha wrote:I use Firefox which I would've preferred to have gone on as Iceweasel
Have you seen https://packages.debian.org/stretch/xul ... l-branding?

The .deb installs fine in jessie :).
Thanks for that; the package had gone beneath my radar. Installed. :D
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

acewiza

#25 Post by acewiza »

Somebody please explain to me exactly what's wrong with establishing a discussion to compare/contrast/prefer chrome-chromium to the exclusion of any and all other browsers?

Plenty I suspect, for those neurotic, passive aggressives feeling compelled to announce their opinion on any and everything. :roll:
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

NFT5
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#26 Post by NFT5 »

I use Firefox but I have Chrome on my system for the occasional site that doesn't play nice with Firefox. That is quite rare these days with Pepperflash available to Firefox.

Why Chrome rather than Chromium? Long time ago but I think it had something to do with Google Translate.

This is a little off-topic but I did try Chrome when in China last year. The Chinese government's hate job on Google has extended so far that Chrome simply won't work at all in China. Connecting to government and even semi-government web sites using Chrome from outside China is also a fail. Since I need to do this occasionally and my wife does it often, Chrome really isn't an option any more.

So, for now count me as one vote for Chrome, but that vote doesn't imply I'm a user. In fact, I'll probably get around to removing it one day.

acewiza

#27 Post by acewiza »

I have recently (in the past year or so) been noticing a worsening situation with overall browser compatibility on the web. It's gotten to the point where I need 2 browsers to effectively see everything I want to online without jumping through hoops to get things working all on one. I use some of the free Google services, so it's Chrome for me, but I also now keep one workspace devoted to a Firefox session with a few things I simply cannot accommodate with Chrome any longer.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

Bulkley

#28 Post by Bulkley »

acewiza wrote:I have recently (in the past year or so) been noticing a worsening situation with overall browser compatibility on the web.
I thought it was just me and my ad blockers.

aplistir

#29 Post by aplistir »

I use mainly Firefox, but it IS great, that Chrome is also available in Debian.

With Chrome I can watch Netflix and Viaplay movies. Really great to be able to do that in Debian.

Also Chrome is good to have, if you want to translate web-pages to your language, although I think that works in chromium too.