[ARTICLE] 7 Reasons to Use Debian (and 3 Reasons Not To)

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

[ARTICLE] 7 Reasons to Use Debian (and 3 Reasons Not To)

Postby arochester » 2017-03-17 13:21

In twenty-four years, Debian has gone from one of half a dozen leading distributions to the premier representative of Linux. Its derivatives Linux Mint and Ubuntu are the most popular distributions today, and new security and server distributions are likely to be based on Debian itself.

So far, over three hundred other distributions have been based on Debian -- so many that in recent years Debian has tried to position itself as the upstream project for them.

There are at least seven reasons for this runaway popularity. However, depending on your interests, Debian's features can come at a cost.

http://www.datamation.com/open-source/7 ... ot-to.html
"Something to be aware of: Debian is a core or source distribution. This means there are many Debian-based distributions. THEY ARE NOT DEBIAN."
arochester

Re: [ARTICLE] 7 Reasons to Use Debian (and 3 Reasons Not To)

Postby phenest » 2017-03-17 17:31

3. The Largest Number of Installed Packages

Probably no one has counted exactly, but Debian includes over 40,000 packages -- and possibly over 50,000.

What do they mean they've never been counted. 68,623 packages in Stretch according to https://packages.debian.org/testing/allpackages?format=txt.gz.
NEC Spirit 550 P4 3.8GHz HT - 2GB RAM - nVidia 7600GT - Pioneer BDR-209DBK
ASUS Sabertooth P67 i7 3770K - 32GB RAM - 2x nVidia 660GTX SLI'd
phenest

Postby cpoakes » 2017-03-19 23:51

phenest wrote:What do they mean they've never been counted. 68,623 packages in Stretch according to https://packages.debian.org/testing/allpackages?format=txt.gz.

Right. People with accurate tools for counting never counted them? The author lost all credibility as a technology writer.

While we can certainly count lines in that list, it is arguably a poor metric for comparing distros. Package pairs like something and something-{dbg,dev} are essential to managing disk space but counting them as multiple packages adds no value to the tally when comparing distros (there are 14000 such duplicates!). It is tantamount to counting the armel, armhf, i386, amd64, et al packages compiled from the same source as separate packages. And there are more than 15000 task, meta-, and virtual packages. Their sole content is a list of other packages to install; this is highly distro-variable and/or distro-specific.

While I appreciate (and am impressed) the devs package more than 68000 packages to maximize usability in the smallest footprint, the source package count seems a far better metric to compare distros.
cpoakes

Postby Danielsan » 2017-03-20 04:25

The author of that article can recycle this point:

2. Debian Uses Systemd

While most users have accepted the introduction of Systemd a few years ago, some continue to fault Debian for using it. They see Systemd as too powerful an administration tool, and suspect it as a ploy by Red Hat to control the desktop. The Debian wiki includes instructions for replacing Systemd with Init, but the process is cumberson, so those who object to Systemd often prefer a derivative distribution like Devuan, which installs without Systemd.

And create a new article: 1 reason to not use almost 99% of Linux distros... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
If you can't fork then hold you in silence.
Danielsan

Postby ruffwoof » 2017-03-20 14:24

The 3 negatives

1. Only installs with free software
2. Uses systemD
3. Software not up to date

... are easily sorted. For instance I install from the Debian 'unofficial' that includes the non-free.

Some don't like systemD, personally I find it runs well and has more eyes looking at the same thing rather than massive diversity (all looking to do similar things different ways).

Well tested and bug fixed software tends towards perfection/stable. As the article author notes one of the positives is
A Balance Between Cutting Edge and Stability

Given the choice of buggy new up-to-date software or well tested and bug-free software that's been around for a while ... and personally I prefer the latter.
Debian Stretch (MAIN repositories only), jwm, pcmanfm --desktop
Acer Aspire M3201 (2GB), AMD Phenom X4, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT.
ruffwoof

Postby bw123 » 2017-03-21 00:07

The 3 negatives

1. Only installs with free software

Yeah well just to be contrary, that is one of the reasons I like debian. People who write reviews like this miss the point of 'free' software...

https://www.debian.org/intro/free

plus, I never click links that are lists. Headline/Titles like, "The Ten reasons, you should <<Click THIS>>" is just another example of lazy pseudo-journalism. It's an infomercial and not to be taken seriously. Since there are seven for, and 3 against, is this some kind of idiots guide to mathematics, or how to make up your mind about a linux distribution?

God help us, if 70% of the people who read the article actually install debian, it's going to be a busy year.
bw123

Postby millpond » 2017-03-22 07:26

The simple reality of the matter is that Debian is essentially the backbone of Linux - for all practical purposes. Redhat is a distant second, as it is not really 'free' - Fedora cant really compare, and RH was charging for drivers for Mandriva. There is of course the Arch/Slackware/*too universe, but it is not practical to expect normal users to compile thousands of programs. Hells bells, even compiling wine can take hours just hunting down its dependencies.

And BSD is not even Linux - its Unix.

So Debian Corp. is for all intents and purposes - a monopoly, though of course not an absolute one.
millpond

Postby ruffwoof » 2017-03-24 00:21

Debian Stretch (MAIN repositories only), jwm, pcmanfm --desktop
Acer Aspire M3201 (2GB), AMD Phenom X4, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT.
ruffwoof

Postby woteb » 2017-03-24 19:01

The simple reality of the matter is that Debian is essentially the backbone of Linux - for all practical purposes.

One of the most profound thoughts I have ever read about Linux in general.
Write them down and hang them over your bed, or learn it by heart.
Laptops: HP NC6320 Debian Jessie (+Bpts) + HP 6710b Debian Jessie (+Bpts)
HP 550, Debian Testing/unstable Test system.
"The simple reality of the matter is that Debian is essentially the backbone of Linux - for all practical purposes."
woteb

Postby Crewp » 2017-03-25 22:13

woteb wrote:
The simple reality of the matter is that Debian is essentially the backbone of Linux - for all practical purposes.

One of the most profound thoughts I have ever read about Linux in general.
Write them down and hang them over your bed, or learn it by heart.

+1 agreed
Crewp

Return to General Discussion