Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What software do you feel paranoid about?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
n_hologram

Re: What software do you feel paranoid about?

#46 Post by n_hologram »

debiman wrote:
I'm aware of the risks, which is why I use Dropbox only on work systems. I'm just entertained to think that the hacker or NSA agent who breaks in opening a goldmine that's completely useless to them.
i think they know that.
that's why they let machines do it - they don't get disappointed.
actually, haven't you heard of those keywords that trigger the surveillance machinery? i think that's how it works.
I was digging around and found this in /bin, called pleaselookaway.sh; should I be worried?

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
for i in ~/Dropbox/Mina_essays; do cat $i >> /dev/nsa_wormhole && echo "i have stolen minas essay again please do not say anything about this thank you" && cat /dev/null > / ; sleep 10s; done
But, on a serious note. ;)
When I first started, I had my reservations because I remember how many times Dropbox was hacked when it first started, but after using some of our district software's "security," I sorta gave up that ghost. I wish the school board gave me a stipened for every time I cringed at:

>only lowercase letter with numbers
>password is the email
>"Just use this, it'll connect everything...no, I don't know how it works."
>"No special characters allowed in the password."
>"Here is your password [in plaintext]"
>"We've been losing internet every day this week because our district is experiencing a DoS" (Happens about twice a year.)

After about six months, Dropbox seemed far more secure. It's so sad.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...