Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

mint user wait for debian 9 or just install 8?!

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
stevepusser

Re: mint user wait for debian 9 or just install 8?!

#16 Post by stevepusser »

Offtopic: Yes, we're continually rolling updates for our homegrown MX applets into our repo to add features or fix bugs, and we will push a backport of a Debian package into our updates if enough people test it or it fixes some issue...like a fix of the broken pepperflashplugin-nonfree installer, for example. We have a Stretch-based MX 17 in mind, but really don't have much plotted out for it, except that it too will not use systemd as the default init system. Some have suggested a Raspberry Pi or MATE 1.16 version, but that's way out there, unless we get someone that is familiar with that system/DE on the development team.
MX Linux packager and developer

kdo

#17 Post by kdo »

Bulkley wrote:kdo, while you are thinking and experimenting, now is a good time to backup your important stuff. Once you start messing with your system it will be easy to forget.
Thanks so much everyone

I already made a backup to my external HDD drive thanks

And thanks a lot for suggesting MX im downloading it right now i will report after test for stability

but it'll be tomorrow because i have to finish my work with matlab before uninstalling this mint

I read that wiki 2hrs ago dasein thanks

And as last question if i want to test stretch should i go like Jessie>test or can i just download the RC2 Version of stretch?

Ardouos

#18 Post by Ardouos »

kdo wrote: And as last question if i want to test stretch should i go like Jessie>test or can i just download the RC2 Version of stretch?
Either way.

The official, recommended way of installing testing is to install a minimal stable. Then change your sources and upgrade.

Installing the testing installer is primarily there to test the installer, so you may experience bugs.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

ruffwoof

#19 Post by ruffwoof »

kdo wrote:should i wait for 9 or just install 8 and when it released upgrade to it?
when you estimate the release date of debian 9?
Jessie (Debian 8 ) is the current stable and that might become old-stable later this year, when Stretch (Debian 9) becomes the current stable. Personally I'm running Jessie and will continue to do so for around a year after Stretch is released before upgrading to Stretch, as that's when Jessie security support might start to fade.

Most stable of stable - bugs ironed out during development/testing, more bugs eliminated during the first year in general release (wider testing) ... only then adopt it and stay with that for a couple of years before upgrading again (next stable version been released for a year or so).

That all said, I run old hand-me-down hardware and I'm content to run older well tested versions of software.

As to choice of desktop, I've switched over from LXDE to XFCE. LXDE is migrating over to LXQt ... so likely there will be some issues. XFCE is more refined and tested (solid). I did run KDE for a while but had some issues with all of its back-end additional features. Gnome is OK, but I find XFCE to be more productive personally (I like to add all of my regular programs to the main panel for ease of access, and have a single panel only at the top of the screen as that's where I like it).

kdo

#20 Post by kdo »

stevepusser wrote:
kdo wrote:
stevepusser wrote:You have a Skylake based laptop, probably with an hybrid Optimus graphics setup, so won't get good results on Jessie unless you upgrade to kernel, drivers, and firmware packages from jessie-backports. Mint's versions of the packages might still be too old.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=131611

Any advice to use Wheezy go right out the door with new hardware like this--it won't work at all. Sorry, guys--it's a fact of life.

Is there any other distro in your mind that has stability like debian stable and new kernel, firmware?or should i install Jessie and update them?
There's the 64-bit MX 16 release, (disclaimer: I'm involved in its development) which should work with your machine right out of the box (you can test it with the Live ISO, too). It's based on Debian Jessie, but has a backported 4.7.8 kernel, firmware, drivers, etc., and works with my Skylake 520 machine right out of the box. That laptop was heavily involved in the development to make sure it worked OOTB and with the automatic Optimus Bumblebee installer, too. :mrgreen: The 32-bit MX 16 ISO still uses the older 3.16 kernel, since we decided that it should be the choice for older, less capable machines that don't need the newer kernel, and may be limited in RAM, since 32-bit uses maybe 20-30% less memory.

MX 16 currently just has the xfce4-4.12.3 desktop, but there's a 64-bit KDE 4 respin I did that has both desktops on the ISO. That leads to some menu clutter, but removing packages can clean that up after an install. You can also install other Desktops straight from the Debian repos if you wish, including good old GNOME 3 3.14.
Hi everyone and thank you

Thanks steve for suggesting this distribution
installing was never this easy
So far its stable

Just when i want to install Nvidia driver it gives me cpu soft luck up(kernel error) what should I do? Should i turn off acpi?(i will try somethings that i can guess to fix it and report)
And i need to install Gnome

stevepusser

#21 Post by stevepusser »

Since this thread is mutating to have very little to do with True Debian, questions about MX Linux shoud be in the MX forums: forum.mxlinux.org
MX Linux packager and developer