Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

mint user wait for debian 9 or just install 8?!

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
kdo

mint user wait for debian 9 or just install 8?!

#1 Post by kdo »

Hello everyone

I currently am a mint 18.1 user i used many many distros and versions over years but this is my first time that i want to install debian
My mint 18.1 has many problems and i am tired of fixing them all the time and i know that debian stretch is under full freeze for 2 month now
should i wait for 9 or just install 8 and when it released upgrade to it?
when you estimate the release date of debian 9?

Thank you for your answer

Ardouos

Re: mint user wait for debian 9 or just install 8?!

#2 Post by Ardouos »

kdo wrote: should i wait for 9
If you are patient enough, yes.
kdo wrote: or just install 8 and when it released upgrade to it?
If time is of the essence to install Debian, this is probably the best option. Debian mainly supports upgrades with only "main" software though. I would recommend reading the release documentation before upgrading. I would recommend waiting though if your intention is to use Stretch to prevent any upgrade issues and having to reinstall anyway (if you may have any).
kdo wrote: when you estimate the release date of debian 9?
Not sure, maybe in a months time, maybe in 3. It will be released "when it is ready". Debian normally notify the public the date when the release nigh.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

FreewheelinFrank
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#3 Post by FreewheelinFrank »

Install Debian 9 now is another option. That's what I did recently.

Stretch actually has fewer bugs that affect me than Jessie did. Your mileage may vary, as they say.

Bulkley

#4 Post by Bulkley »

Third choice: burn a live CD (or USB) and play with it for a while. If you have virtual machine capability with your Mint, you could try installing Debian in it.

GarryRicketson

#5 Post by GarryRicketson »

Really it depnds on your requirements and needs,also perhaps your hardware, none of which you give any details on.
Personally I wouldn't install either one, but my needs and requirement probably are not the same as yours. I stick with Debian 7, (wheezy).
As far as Linux mint goes, I gave up on them and stopped using it back when it was
mint 10,...
There is some documentation on the Debian websight to help people decide what
version to use:
what version of Debian shoud I use
=======================
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... ng.en.html

=============
I think, if you do some research on what they use at Linux Mint, and it is based on,
you will find that if you are having problems with the most recent versions there,
then I don't think you would want to install Debian testing (will be Debian 9 stretch when released),... However Debian 8 Jessie, also has it's "problems",...Hopefully
they may have those fixed and worked out when Debian 9 is released.
Only you can decide, what is best for you.
Using a live CD, or VM, to try out the different versions, is the best way to figure that
out.
Last edited by GarryRicketson on 2017-04-04 21:13, edited 1 time in total.

millpond

#6 Post by millpond »

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianEdu/Docum ... h/Features
Agree with Garry.

Nothing there I want, and if I want it, will either backport it or compile it outside of apt.

kdo

#7 Post by kdo »

GarryRicketson wrote:Really it depnds on your requirements and needs,also perhaps your hardware, none of which you give any details on.
Personally I wouldn't install either one, but my needs and requirement probably are not the same as yours. I stick with Debian 7, (wheezy).
As far as Linux mint goes, I gave up on them and stopped using it back when it was
mint 10,...
There is some documentation on the Debian websight to help people decide what
version to use:
what version of Debian shoud I use
=======================
https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debi ... ng.en.html

=============
I think, if you do some research on what they use at Linux Mint, and it is based on,
you will find that if you are having problems with the most recent versions there,
then I don't thing you would want to install Debian testing (will be Debian 9 stretch when released),... However Debian 8 Jessie, also has it's "problems",...Hopefully
they may have those fixed and worked out when Debian 9 is released.
Only you can decide, what is best for you.
Using a live CD, or VM, to try out the different versions, is the best way to figure that
out.
Thank you so much everyone really thanks a lot

Thank you i am reading them right know

I am student of mechanical engineering and mint is on my notebook
I mostly use Matlab and Corel Aftershot Right now of curse until my next project

My notebook info is:
Processor: 6700HQ
16GB of DDR4 2400 Memory
GTX 960M 4GB GPU
128GB of PCI SSD
1TB of HDD

I have so many problems with this mint(i hadnt this much before but older versions were on my PC so) like WiFi wont turn on if it was off before shutdown unless i restart system----it is absolutely slow in every were and i mean Slow---VLC crashes all the time and many others
and i tried everything like turning off WiFI power management ----- installing Nvidia Driver --- intel micro code and... that i can remember right know

The main problem is that im used to linux and i cant switch to windows until debian 9 release
I am a simple user but i dont like the look and feel of the distros like elementary os and i usually don't have problem with clean installing an os

if i install testing and then stable releases​ can i update everything to stable?is it like upgrading from 7 to 8?(i mean will my settings return to their defaults or some of my packages will be lost?)
will stable kernel which is very old have support for my hardware?
Last edited by kdo on 2017-04-04 19:05, edited 1 time in total.

dasein

#8 Post by dasein »

kdo wrote:if i install testing and stable release...
You can't install both.

Immediately post-freeze is when the bug count in Testing is at its highest. But because it's frozen, it will only continue to get better with time (unless a bug fix triggers a regression).
kdo wrote:will stable kernel which is very old have support for my hardware?
If having new, shiny software is important to you, then Debian probably isn't the right distro for you. Debian values stability, not newness.

As has been suggested to you several times already, test drive Debian on a live medium and decide for yourself if it meets your needs.
Last edited by dasein on 2017-04-04 18:36, edited 1 time in total.

stevepusser

#9 Post by stevepusser »

You have a Skylake based laptop, probably with an hybrid Optimus graphics setup, so won't get good results on Jessie unless you upgrade to kernel, drivers, and firmware packages from jessie-backports. Mint's versions of the packages might still be too old.

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=131611

Any advice to use Wheezy goes right out the door with new hardware like this--it won't work at all. Sorry, guys--it's a fact of life.
Last edited by stevepusser on 2017-04-04 21:45, edited 1 time in total.
MX Linux packager and developer

kdo

#10 Post by kdo »

dasein wrote:
kdo wrote:if i install testing and stable release...
You can't install both.

Immediately post-freeze is when the bug count in Testing is at its highest. But because it's frozen, it will only continue to get better with time (unless a bug fix triggers a regression).
kdo wrote:will stable kernel which is very old have support for my hardware?
If having new, shiny software is important to you, then Debian probably isn't the right distro for you. Debian values stability, not newness.
Thank you so testing will go out of the options

Yes i know that and so sorry it was a mistyping

No i want stability i just asked to know if that old kernel support this 'almost' new hardware?

But my question that if i install testing now ,can i update to stable when its released?(its like 7 to 8?)
Last edited by kdo on 2017-04-04 19:09, edited 2 times in total.

kdo

#11 Post by kdo »

stevepusser wrote:You have a Skylake based laptop, probably with an hybrid Optimus graphics setup, so won't get good results on Jessie unless you upgrade to kernel, drivers, and firmware packages from jessie-backports. Mint's versions of the packages might still be too old.

Any advice to use Wheezy go right out the door with new hardware like this--it won't work at all. Sorry, guys--it's a fact of life.
Thank you so much that is a really helpful topic
I wonder why I didn't found your topic after many hours of research!

Yes mint is old too and yes it has hybrid GPU (HD530)

Is there any other distro in your mind that has stability like debian stable and new kernel, firmware?or should i install Jessie and update them?

dasein

#12 Post by dasein »

kdo wrote:But my question that if i install testing now ,can i update to stable when its released?
You need to visit the Wiki and read up on Debian's release model.

The freeze is the period where Testing becomes the new Stable. That is to say, Stretch is currently Testing, but when the freeze is complete, Stretch will become Stable and Jessie will become OLDSTABLE.

stevepusser

#13 Post by stevepusser »

kdo wrote:
stevepusser wrote:You have a Skylake based laptop, probably with an hybrid Optimus graphics setup, so won't get good results on Jessie unless you upgrade to kernel, drivers, and firmware packages from jessie-backports. Mint's versions of the packages might still be too old.

Any advice to use Wheezy go right out the door with new hardware like this--it won't work at all. Sorry, guys--it's a fact of life.

Is there any other distro in your mind that has stability like debian stable and new kernel, firmware?or should i install Jessie and update them?
There's the 64-bit MX 16 release, (disclaimer: I'm involved in its development) which should work with your machine right out of the box (you can test it with the Live ISO, too). It's based on Debian Jessie, but has a backported 4.7.8 kernel, firmware, drivers, etc., and works with my Skylake 520 machine right out of the box. That laptop was heavily involved in the development to make sure it worked OOTB and with the automatic Optimus Bumblebee installer, too. :mrgreen: The 32-bit MX 16 ISO still uses the older 3.16 kernel, since we decided that it should be the choice for older, less capable machines that don't need the newer kernel, and may be limited in RAM, since 32-bit uses maybe 20-30% less memory.

MX 16 currently just has the xfce4-4.12.3 desktop, but there's a 64-bit KDE 4 respin I did that has both desktops on the ISO. That leads to some menu clutter, but removing packages can clean that up after an install. You can also install other Desktops straight from the Debian repos if you wish, including good old GNOME 3 3.14.

Bulkley

#14 Post by Bulkley »

kdo, while you are thinking and experimenting, now is a good time to backup your important stuff. Once you start messing with your system it will be easy to forget.

GarryRicketson

#15 Post by GarryRicketson »

But my question that if i install testing now ,can i update to stable when its released?(its like 7 to 8?)
Yes you can, but on the programs that you may have installed, if any "packages" are
from other sources outside of the Debian repositories, it gets more complicated.

Steve is 100% correct,
with newer hardware, the older versions of Debian are not a practical choice,..plus the
amount of time they will still be supported is a lot less.
by stevepusser » There's the 64-bit MX 16 release,---snip---
I have had excellent results with the MX versions, especially on newer equipment, but also older equipment, and the support is very good.
In the Original , first post the OP did not indicate they were open to considering another distro , but if they are open to considering another distro,..the MX-16 would
be a viable, good choice, (in my opinion),...I am not involved with it in any way, just saying , based on my experiences with it.
Like wise, now don't "quote me" on this, Steve probably knows, but sometime after
Debian 9 is stable, and relesed I would expect there will be upgrades available for MX-16,...maybe even a MX-17,..?

stevepusser

#16 Post by stevepusser »

Offtopic: Yes, we're continually rolling updates for our homegrown MX applets into our repo to add features or fix bugs, and we will push a backport of a Debian package into our updates if enough people test it or it fixes some issue...like a fix of the broken pepperflashplugin-nonfree installer, for example. We have a Stretch-based MX 17 in mind, but really don't have much plotted out for it, except that it too will not use systemd as the default init system. Some have suggested a Raspberry Pi or MATE 1.16 version, but that's way out there, unless we get someone that is familiar with that system/DE on the development team.

kdo

#17 Post by kdo »

Bulkley wrote:kdo, while you are thinking and experimenting, now is a good time to backup your important stuff. Once you start messing with your system it will be easy to forget.
Thanks so much everyone

I already made a backup to my external HDD drive thanks

And thanks a lot for suggesting MX im downloading it right now i will report after test for stability

but it'll be tomorrow because i have to finish my work with matlab before uninstalling this mint

I read that wiki 2hrs ago dasein thanks

And as last question if i want to test stretch should i go like Jessie>test or can i just download the RC2 Version of stretch?

Ardouos

#18 Post by Ardouos »

kdo wrote: And as last question if i want to test stretch should i go like Jessie>test or can i just download the RC2 Version of stretch?
Either way.

The official, recommended way of installing testing is to install a minimal stable. Then change your sources and upgrade.

Installing the testing installer is primarily there to test the installer, so you may experience bugs.
There is only one Debian | Do not break Debian | Stability and Debian | Backports

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Debian - The universal operating system
⢿⡄⠘⠷⠚⠋⠀ https://www.debian.org
⠈⠳⣄⠀

ruffwoof

#19 Post by ruffwoof »

kdo wrote:should i wait for 9 or just install 8 and when it released upgrade to it?
when you estimate the release date of debian 9?
Jessie (Debian 8 ) is the current stable and that might become old-stable later this year, when Stretch (Debian 9) becomes the current stable. Personally I'm running Jessie and will continue to do so for around a year after Stretch is released before upgrading to Stretch, as that's when Jessie security support might start to fade.

Most stable of stable - bugs ironed out during development/testing, more bugs eliminated during the first year in general release (wider testing) ... only then adopt it and stay with that for a couple of years before upgrading again (next stable version been released for a year or so).

That all said, I run old hand-me-down hardware and I'm content to run older well tested versions of software.

As to choice of desktop, I've switched over from LXDE to XFCE. LXDE is migrating over to LXQt ... so likely there will be some issues. XFCE is more refined and tested (solid). I did run KDE for a while but had some issues with all of its back-end additional features. Gnome is OK, but I find XFCE to be more productive personally (I like to add all of my regular programs to the main panel for ease of access, and have a single panel only at the top of the screen as that's where I like it).

kdo

#20 Post by kdo »

stevepusser wrote:
kdo wrote:

There's the 64-bit MX 16 release, (disclaimer: I'm involved in its development) which should work with your machine right out of the box (you can test it with the Live ISO, too). It's based on Debian Jessie, but has a backported 4.7.8 kernel, firmware, drivers, etc., and works with my Skylake 520 machine right out of the box. That laptop was heavily involved in the development to make sure it worked OOTB and with the automatic Optimus Bumblebee installer, too. :mrgreen: The 32-bit MX 16 ISO still uses the older 3.16 kernel, since we decided that it should be the choice for older, less capable machines that don't need the newer kernel, and may be limited in RAM, since 32-bit uses maybe 20-30% less memory.

MX 16 currently just has the xfce4-4.12.3 desktop, but there's a 64-bit KDE 4 respin I did that has both desktops on the ISO. That leads to some menu clutter, but removing packages can clean that up after an install. You can also install other Desktops straight from the Debian repos if you wish, including good old GNOME 3 3.14.
Hi everyone and thank you

Thanks steve for suggesting this distribution
installing was never this easy
So far its stable

Just when i want to install Nvidia driver it gives me cpu soft luck up(kernel error) what should I do? Should i turn off acpi?(i will try somethings that i can guess to fix it and report)
And i need to install Gnome