Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Do you help relatives & friends to use a Debian desktop?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
pylkko

Re: Do you help relatives & friends to use a Debian desktop?

#16 Post by pylkko »

No_windows wrote:One problem is that they do use Skype, which I do not think is available for Debian.
it is and it is also available online (i.e can be used from a browser).
PhilGil wrote:o-worker who used Debian (installed/supported by me) until we had problems with our RDP connection and I had to move her back to Windows.
Wow, really? I was under the impression that RDP worked really well on linux, never used it though.
Answer to question: yes I help if some one asks (they do sometimes) but I don't exacatly want people to ask/am not a converter.

PhilGil

#17 Post by PhilGil »

pylkko wrote:Wow, really? I was under the impression that RDP worked really well on linux, never used it though.
RDP works great, until your remote hosting service throws up an RD Gateway. Then not so much.

Gateways are unsupported by rdesktop and 1.x versions of freerdp (the only versions available in Jessie and Stretch).

There's an appimage of remmina+freerdp-2.x that I've been running on my home desktop and laptop, but it doesn't support multi-monitor. For my office workstation I've been pulling nightly builds of freerdp-2.x. Both the nightlies and the appimage are hit-and-miss - some days I can connect, some days I can't. On the days I'm unable to connect I have to fire up the Windows VM and use the MS client.

To be fair, the problem may be with the way our remote hosting service configures their Gateway. They don't officially support Linux guest connections, so they've only been minimally helpful when I've called for support.

Danielsan

#18 Post by Danielsan »

I forced my family to use Debian (even with systemd) but my wife...
My son will raise in the name of the floss! :mrgreen:

Crewp

#19 Post by Crewp »

I have my eighty year old mom using it, and my sister they seem to be happy with it. I had my nephew using it but his friends said he needs to use Windows 10 like everybody else. Oh well. :roll:

Head_on_a_Stick

#20 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Crewp wrote:I had my nephew using it but his friends said he needs to use Windows 10 like everybody else. Oh well. :roll:
Don't his friends watch Mr. Robot?

Tell them that hackers use Debian :twisted:
deadbang

debiman

#21 Post by debiman »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Don't his friends watch Mr. Robot?
for once i'd agree that a kali newb is a good thing...

Danielsan

#22 Post by Danielsan »

Crewp wrote:I have my eighty year old mom using it, and my sister they seem to be happy with it. I had my nephew using it but his friends said he needs to use Windows 10 like everybody else. Oh well. :roll:
I am pretty confident that the time when my son will go to the school we finally have a superior floss graphic stack available for Gnu & Linux (and maybe even for Gnu Hurd)... :mrgreen:

HuangLao

#23 Post by HuangLao »

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:
Crewp wrote:I had my nephew using it but his friends said he needs to use Windows 10 like everybody else. Oh well. :roll:
Don't his friends watch Mr. Robot?

Hmmm...always thought that was Slackware :mrgreen:

woteb

#24 Post by woteb »

Laptops: HP 250 G6 i3 7th gen + Lenovo: Debian Testing XFCE
HP based chromebooks: Debian Testing and other variations
"The simple reality of the matter is that Debian is essentially the backbone of Linux - for all practical purposes."

debiman

#25 Post by debiman »

So, is that why you don't use Gnome anymore?
Or... am I in the wrong thread?

arochester
Emeritus
Emeritus

#26 Post by arochester »

Maybe this thread is beginning to wander off topic and is in danger of being locked...

woteb

#27 Post by woteb »

Some friends an relatives are complete noobs. These persons are very happy now with a very robust Debian system I installed for them. All these systems have 4 partitions, sda1 for the system and programms, sda2 for /home, sda3 swap and sda4 for rescue. On the rescue partition are the image from sda1 and manual installed packages and install scripts located. The image is made from a Debian USB stick with partimage.
A copy from these images is stored on my USB hard drive.

And I'm using XFCE and Openbox
Laptops: HP 250 G6 i3 7th gen + Lenovo: Debian Testing XFCE
HP based chromebooks: Debian Testing and other variations
"The simple reality of the matter is that Debian is essentially the backbone of Linux - for all practical purposes."

sjukfan

#28 Post by sjukfan »

I'm slowly forcing people do adapt. I'm the goto computer guy in the family and since I haven't really bothered with Windows since XP I try to push them over to Debian. My mom and her husband is getting an old (Dell d620 C2D 3GB ram) spare laptop I have here with Debian and Xfce. My ex hates anything after XP so she's getting Xfce too. And my sistsers' mom is getting a spare Thinkpad T43 with... Xfce and firefox to have in the kitchen. I rather give them my old junk than supporting iOS or something.
Bullseye amd64, AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Buster amd64, Intel Xeon E3-1240 v3
Sid ppc, PowerPC 7447a
Sid ppc64, PowerPC 970FX