Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[WARNING] Intel Skylake/Kaby Lake processors: broken hyper-t

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
pylkko

[WARNING] Intel Skylake/Kaby Lake processors: broken hyper-t

#1 Post by pylkko »

[WARNING] Intel Skylake/Kaby Lake processors: broken hyper-threading
https://lists.debian.org/debian-devel/2 ... 00308.html

/tmp

Re: [WARNING] Intel Skylake/Kaby Lake processors: broken hyp

#3 Post by /tmp »

It's times like this that I'm glad I have my troll-worthy Pentium G3258 :D
Bookworm | Intel I7-3667U | Apple Macbook Air 5,2 (Mid 2012) (Laptop) | 8 GB RAM | 3rd Gen Intel Core Graphics

ticojohn

#4 Post by ticojohn »

I am using Intel i5 processors in both of my computers. i5 processors are supposed to NOT support hyper-threading. When I look at, for instance, cat /proc/cpuinfo I see that there are 4 cores and 4 siblings, ergo no hyper-threading. However, when I look at the flags, in /proc/cpuinfo, I see that the ht flag is set. Isn't that strange? Maybe a bios setting although I don't find anything called Hyper Threading. And NO, I am not looking for a support answer. It's more of a rhetorical question.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

acewiza

#5 Post by acewiza »

The story about it I read suggested this was not a very big deal - invoked only in specific, rare use cases.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

stevepusser

#6 Post by stevepusser »

It depends on the type of i5 processor as to whether it supports hyperthreading or not. Mine happens to.

Code: Select all

inxi -x -C
CPU:       Dual core Intel Core i5-6200U (-HT-MCP-) cache: 3072 KB
           flags: (lm nx sse sse2 sse3 sse4_1 sse4_2 ssse3 vmx) bmips: 9600
           clock speeds: max: 2301 MHz 1: 400 MHz 2: 2300 MHz 3: 2300 MHz 4: 400 MHz
I already installed the intel-microcode update that's supposed to fix it in Linux, as well as the "BIOS" update from Acer from the 26th that I suspect fixes it for the machine overall. I noticed that the BIOS updater seems to have changed from a Windows-only program to a DOS one that Linux users can use FreeDos to install, so Acer deserves some kudos for that.
MX Linux packager and developer

ticojohn

#7 Post by ticojohn »

stevepusser wrote:It depends on the type of i5 processor as to whether it supports hyperthreading or not. Mine happens to.
Right on Steve. I am using 4th and 5th generation i5 processors which do not support hyperthreading. I believe that hyperthreading for the i5 was introduced in 6th generation, however there might have been some 5th gen processors that supported it. Still wish I knew why the "ht" flag is set even though the CPU I have doesn't support it. I've gone through the BIOS and find no reference to hyperthreading. Might be called something else, maybe Virtualization?

Whatever, they work and I'm not messing with what ain't broken.

ticojohn

#8 Post by ticojohn »

stevepusser wrote:It depends on the type of i5 processor as to whether it supports hyperthreading or not. Mine happens to.
After doing some checking I find that i5 processors with 4 cores do not hyperthread. The i5 processors with 2 cores, such as yours, do have hyperthreading. If the 4 core i5 had hyperthreading it would essentially be an i7.