Debian ram usage

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Re: Debian ram usage

Postby Innovate » 2017-06-29 12:42

idle 194mb
firefox no plugin 352mb
firefox+thunar 381mb
firefox+adp+ghostery+flashgot+thunar 683mb

Xfce4 Stable

Perhaps he didn't installed cups, pulseaudio, samba, conky, compiz which increase lots of ram usages in total.
Since he didn't show any desktop image so we can't tell what stuff that he pre-installed that make it light.
if resize panel into a small box it'll reduce a lot. However at least I can see LXDE getting heavier than Xfce from his testing. :lol:
User avatar
Innovate
 
Posts: 126
Joined: 2015-12-27 01:28
Location: /dev/urandom

Re: Debian ram usage

Postby None1975 » 2017-06-29 13:24

silvaf6 wrote:Heloo everyone.So, I was wandering how much memory is your Debian is consuming :)

I am running Stretch x64, i3WM, no DM (startx), 1266 packages, Intel i7 processor. At idle I am using about 140 MB.I keept it simple :)
OS: Debian 9.2 / WM: Stumpwm
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, Stumpwm
User avatar
None1975
 
Posts: 225
Joined: 2015-11-29 18:23
Location: Lithuania

Re: Debian ram usage

Postby Lysander » 2017-06-30 09:16

750mb-800mb idle. Seems quite a lot in comparison to others here. It doesn't bother me though, I have 5GB RAM and 5GB swap and it never gets maxed out. Performs excellently.
User avatar
Lysander
 
Posts: 364
Joined: 2017-02-23 10:07
Location: London

Re: Debian ram usage

Postby wizard10000 » 2017-07-01 16:34

Clickable screenshot. 64-bit Plasma 5.8.7 using less than 360MB of RAM at idle with yakuake and conky autostarting - and I have my wobbly windows :)

Again, unused resources are wasted resources, but I tweak KDE for my own enjoyment :)

Image
we see things not as they are, but as we are.
-- anais nin
User avatar
wizard10000
 
Posts: 1222
Joined: 2011-05-09 20:02
Location: everywhere i go, there i am!

Re: Debian ram usage

Postby chdslv » 2017-07-02 20:42

Debian 9 + Openbox, Tint2, Conky and other necessary apps at boot, 256MB at idle. But, that's only for a minute or two, for who keeps the computer in idle state, its for work (or play). :)
chdslv
 
Posts: 3
Joined: 2016-02-27 08:17

Re: Debian ram usage

Postby Nili » 2017-07-06 07:15

Debian 8.8

Image

Tweaked, cleaned, striped...

BOOT 8.8sec (Not on a SSD)

# X Console=20MB RAM

# Desktop Startup...

startx + herbstluftwm + dzen2 + conky-cli=26.9MB (1%)

I didn't anything seriously...
If i had guts to change bash for mksh, debian kernel for liquorix kernel, systemd for openrc i'm sure i can sit down to 10 / 15MB RAM.

I have seen some interesting untouched wonders from LinuxBBQ gurus, YES 10MB startups.
However IMO, Debian is a great toy definitely.

Regards!
#MM | #乃木坂46 | #AKB48
User avatar
Nili
 
Posts: 286
Joined: 2014-04-30 14:04
Location: $HOME/♫♪

Re: Debian ram usage

Postby silvaf6 » 2017-07-10 17:26

I just realized gnome system monitor ram usage doesn't seem accurate. "free -m" shows much less ram being used.
Atm gnome system monitor shows 1,7GB while free -m show 1,3GB.

Can you guys compare your ram usage between this two tools, so I know I'm not crazy? Thanks :D

EDIT: htop also shows 1,3GB.
silvaf6
 
Posts: 70
Joined: 2017-06-12 16:45

Re: Debian ram usage

Postby Lysander » 2017-07-10 18:17

silvaf6 wrote:I just realized gnome system monitor ram usage doesn't seem accurate. "free -m" shows much less ram being used.
Atm gnome system monitor shows 1,7GB while free -m show 1,3GB.

Can you guys compare your ram usage between this two tools, so I know I'm not crazy? Thanks :D

EDIT: htop also shows 1,3GB.


gsm shows roughly 250MB more usage

Image
User avatar
Lysander
 
Posts: 364
Joined: 2017-02-23 10:07
Location: London

Re: Debian ram usage

Postby silvaf6 » 2017-07-10 18:33

I'm not crazy then. I guess free -m should be more accurate
silvaf6
 
Posts: 70
Joined: 2017-06-12 16:45

Re: Debian ram usage

Postby pylkko » 2017-07-10 18:44

if you look at the above screenshot, you will notice that if you subtract "available" from "total" (in the output of free) you will get exactly the 901 MB claimed by gnome-system-monitor.

man of free wrote: available
Estimation of how much memory is available for starting new
applications, without swapping. Unlike the data provided by the
cache or free fields, this field takes into account page cache
and also that not all reclaimable memory slabs will be reclaimed
due to items being in use (MemAvailable in /proc/meminfo, avail‐
able on kernels 3.14, emulated on kernels 2.6.27+, otherwise the
same as free)

User avatar
pylkko
 
Posts: 1213
Joined: 2014-11-06 19:02

Re: Debian ram usage

Postby ruffwoof » 2017-07-10 20:22

silvaf6 wrote:Heloo everyone.

I just saw this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/5l39tz/linux_distros_ram_consumption_comparison_updated/. The user says his debian 9 xfce has a memory consumption of 345.43mb on day to day use, however on a clean install I got around 600-800mb minimum usage.

So, I was wandering how much memory is your Debian is consuming :)

... or wasting. Free = unused = wasted. Better to have free filled with cached stuff, so more quickly to hand if called upon, whilst quickly freed (deleted) if something else needs the space.
Debian oldstable, twm, yad, stalonetray
Acer Aspire M3201 (2GB), AMD Phenom X4
ruffwoof
 
Posts: 216
Joined: 2016-08-20 21:00

Re: Debian ram usage

Postby silvaf6 » 2017-07-11 06:44

ruffwoof wrote:
silvaf6 wrote:Heloo everyone.

I just saw this post: https://www.reddit.com/r/linux/comments/5l39tz/linux_distros_ram_consumption_comparison_updated/. The user says his debian 9 xfce has a memory consumption of 345.43mb on day to day use, however on a clean install I got around 600-800mb minimum usage.

So, I was wandering how much memory is your Debian is consuming :)

... or wasting. Free = unused = wasted. Better to have free filled with cached stuff, so more quickly to hand if called upon, whilst quickly freed (deleted) if something else needs the space.


Are you saying that for some reason my os is caching more stuff in ram? Im ok with it and my system is fast anyway, just found it odd that gsm had a biggest increase of ram usage than the average.
silvaf6
 
Posts: 70
Joined: 2017-06-12 16:45

Re: Debian ram usage

Postby Lysander » 2017-07-11 08:46

silvaf6 wrote:
Are you saying that for some reason my os is caching more stuff in ram? Im ok with it and my system is fast anyway, just found it odd that gsm had a biggest increase of ram usage than the average.


He's saying that, as far as I can gather, gsm lists the amount of used and cached memory, whereas free -m does not list the cached memory usage.

There's a saying in tech communities that "unused RAM is wasted RAM" which is upheld by some while being sneered at by others - largely gamers who have 16GB-64GB of RAM, much of which will likely never be used. Personally I am on 5GB of RAM, 3GB SWAP and I have never maxed out.
User avatar
Lysander
 
Posts: 364
Joined: 2017-02-23 10:07
Location: London

Previous

Return to General Discussion

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

fashionable