Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 9 is truly a great distro

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
dasein

Re: Debian 9 is truly a great distro

#16 Post by dasein »

woteb wrote:This is very easy to repair...
I believe NFT5's point was, quite correctly, that a "repair" shouldn't be needed at all. There is no excuse for Debian's installer to insist on changing the UUID on an existing partition. Period.

This is a long-standing bug that Debian refuses to fix (puerile arrogance at its highest).
woteb wrote:Just edit as root on every installation /etc/fstab the line for the swap.
(Emphasis altered/added)
Yours is quite a novel re-definition of the concept of "easy."

Bulkley

#17 Post by Bulkley »

Some distributions have a graphical installer with which you can push a button, walk away, come back 45 minutes later and start using your brand new Linux. Debian has never had one of those. The prevailing philosophy is that one only has to install once so development resources are better spent elsewhere. That's my impression of it anyway. I suspect that Debian would be smarter to not use a graphical installer at all.

I have been using Stretch for most of its existence. During that time it has worked well although there were a few packages that didn't make the grade do to being dropped by their developers.

dasein

#18 Post by dasein »

Bulkley wrote:Some distributions have a graphical installer with which you can push a button, walk away, come back 45 minutes later and start using your brand new Linux.
Indeed. And all such installers are, by any meaningful metric, far more usable than Debian's knuckle-dragging equivalent.

Bulkley

#19 Post by Bulkley »

Curiously, dasein, I long ago thought that Debian should have grabbed the installer from the defunct Storm 2000 distro. It could have been an easy fit.

dasein

#20 Post by dasein »

The old Anaconda installer (circa 2006 or 2007, IIRC) was amazing--best damn installer I've ever seen. Bulletproof, all user entry "front-loaded," and really quite quick (at least for its day). Sure as sh!t, Fedora/RedHat totally screwed it up a year or two later (ironically enough in the name of "improvement").

(Apologies for the hijack.)

woteb

#21 Post by woteb »

dasein wrote:
woteb wrote:This is very easy to repair...
I believe NFT5's point was, quite correctly, that a "repair" shouldn't be needed at all. There is no excuse for Debian's installer to insist on changing the UUID on an existing partition. Period.
I do testing a lot of distros and Debian is surely not the only one that changes the UUID of swap. That's one of the reasons I directly change all these UUID settings to the /dev/sdxx modification. Not only swap, but also / and /home and the rest.
On a desktop with one distribution I never understood why this is necessary. With the /sdaxx I have full control over my systems. In my opinion UUID is awful for advanced users but simple for noobs. And a noob is not interested in several distros on it's system.
But this is an off-topic discussion.

Edit: Install Windows on a Linux system. Your grub is damaged and your system is Windows only without any repair.
Install Linux (eg. Debian) on a Windows system, your system is Windows and Debian hybrid dual-boot. Not any repair necessary.
Laptops: HP 250 G6 i3 7th gen + Lenovo: Debian Testing XFCE
HP based chromebooks: Debian Testing and other variations
"The simple reality of the matter is that Debian is essentially the backbone of Linux - for all practical purposes."

dasein

#22 Post by dasein »

woteb wrote:Debian is surely not the only one that changes the UUID of swap.
Other distros' ham-handed stupidity, real or imagined, doesn't excuse Debian's
woteb wrote:That's one of the reasons I directly change all these UUID settings to the /dev/sdxx modification.
Hard-coded device names is an equally bad "solution." Partition LABELs FTW!

woteb

#23 Post by woteb »

dasein wrote: Hard-coded device names is an equally bad "solution." Partition LABELs
You're right, I forgot that... :mrgreen:
Laptops: HP 250 G6 i3 7th gen + Lenovo: Debian Testing XFCE
HP based chromebooks: Debian Testing and other variations
"The simple reality of the matter is that Debian is essentially the backbone of Linux - for all practical purposes."

ruffwoof

#24 Post by ruffwoof »

dasein wrote:Partition LABELs FTW!
Cool. Thanks.

Set my sda4 that is ext2 format to have a label of ext2 and editing /etc/fstab to mount that at folder /mnt/sda4

LABEL=ext2 /mnt/sda4 ext2 defaults 0 0

... mounts that partition (Debian 8.8 Jessie).

chrissywissy

#25 Post by chrissywissy »

Installed via net-inst a couple of days after release on my old HP box with Gnome and it seems to be working well. Really like that the old Squeeze wallpaper was included, but I had to save it as jpg otherwise it took forever to load. The only other fly in the ointment is an update repo error appearing. I'll see if it sorts itself.

Very happy. A good edition of this distro.

golinux

#26 Post by golinux »

That's why it's worth the effort to make it "great again" [tm]!! ;)
May the FORK be with you!

Innovate

#27 Post by Innovate »

After the day Debian 9 was release I've instantly polish most of Xfce 4.12.0 packages into 4.13.0
Now it become latest Xfce ever which I don't have to bother to
hop to Debian 10 testing, sid like other shiny syndromes anymore.
even my whiskermenu is 2.1.2. It's funny that whiskermenu doesn't exist on stretch anymore
https://packages.debian.org/search?keyw ... enu-plugin

but I've able manage to get it back.

HuangLao

#28 Post by HuangLao »

Innovate wrote:After the day Debian 9 was release I've instantly polish most of Xfce 4.12.0 packages into 4.13.0
Now it become latest Xfce ever which I don't have to bother to
hop to Debian 10 testing, sid like other shiny syndromes anymore.
even my whiskermenu is 2.1.2. It's funny that whiskermenu doesn't exist on stretch anymore

but I've able manage to get it back.

so whats this then? https://packages.debian.org/stretch/xfc ... enu-plugin

Innovate

#29 Post by Innovate »

HuangLao wrote: so whats this then? https://packages.debian.org/stretch/xfc ... enu-plugin
It's too late & pointless to ask me on 6th July by now.
xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin package has already came back on both links.
I even monitored saw it came back before you replied.

You didn't aware don't you? that At 5th July this package was missing from the server
Both of them was missing like phenomena event. even apt-get update & install it get nothing.
Even I search their package inside pool there was nothing in there in 5th. The package just appeared back 6th.
https://packages.debian.org/stretch/xfc ... enu-plugin
At 6th July it just appear it back like usual on both links and able to apt-get install like it should be.
At 5th it was like this
Package xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin
jessie (oldstable) (xfce): Alternate menu plugin for the Xfce desktop environment
1.4.0-1: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mipsel powerpc ppc64el s390x
experimental (rc-buggy) (xfce): Alternate menu plugin for the Xfce desktop environment
2.1.1-1: alpha amd64 arm64 armel armhf hppa hurd-i386 i386 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 m68k mips mips64el mipsel powerpc powerpcspe ppc64 ppc64el s390x sh4 sparc64 x32

From you link yesterday was:
[ jessie ] [ experimental ]
At 6th - Today
Package xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin
jessie (oldstable) (xfce): Alternate menu plugin for the Xfce desktop environment
1.4.0-1: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mipsel powerpc ppc64el s390x
stretch (stable) (xfce): Alternate menu plugin for the Xfce desktop environment
1.6.2-1: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mips64el mipsel ppc64el s390x
buster (testing) (xfce): Alternate menu plugin for the Xfce desktop environment
1.6.2-1: amd64 arm64 armel armhf i386 mips mips64el mipsel ppc64el s390x
sid (unstable) (xfce): Alternate menu plugin for the Xfce desktop environment
1.6.2-1: alpha amd64 arm64 armel armhf hppa hurd-i386 i386 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 m68k mips mips64el mipsel powerpc powerpcspe ppc64 ppc64el s390x sparc64 x32
1.6.1-1 [debports]: sh4
experimental (rc-buggy) (xfce): Alternate menu plugin for the Xfce desktop environment
2.1.1-1: alpha amd64 arm64 armel armhf hppa hurd-i386 i386 kfreebsd-amd64 kfreebsd-i386 m68k mips mips64el mipsel powerpc powerpcspe ppc64 ppc64el s390x sh4 sparc64 x32

From your link 6th-Today:
[ jessie ] [ stretch ] [ buster ] [ sid ] [ experimental ]
Beside I've already got 2.1.2 by now it's pointless to revert back to 1.6.2.

Nili

#30 Post by Nili »

Debian It's like a good roasted strawberries :D
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

trinidad

#31 Post by trinidad »

Finished install and configuration of Debian 9 64bit from full dvd set last night. Only two glitches. A video piping problem due to old firmware, and a wifi usb adapter issue solved with an old post from this forum. Running Gnome, which has a few subtle differences from Deb 8, but so far not a single unresolvable issue. As expected stable and fast. Thanks to all the great Debian developers. Thanks to this forum for the answer to my wifi problem that I should have known myself. A bit of a duh moment for me. Wasted an hour on other solututions before searching here. I have a half dozen Panda usb wifi adapters at the shop here ranging from five years old to new which have all been basically plug and play for any MS or Linux system that crosses my bench. Worked fine during install but systemd after Deb 9 install is in a different state than after Deb 8 install. Anyway thanks to all the great Debian people. I only ever run stable and the wait for Stretch was well worth it.

TC
You can't believe your eyes if your imagination is out of focus.

Crewp

#32 Post by Crewp »

Thanks to all the dev's and everyone involved in Debian. Stretch is great, and I am really enjoying it.

Lysander

#33 Post by Lysander »

Crewp wrote:Thanks to all the dev's and everyone involved in Debian. Stretch is great, and I am really enjoying it.
Agreed, I'm really enjoying it too. The only thing I miss is GNOME 3.16, but that's a minor niggle. Stretch is a definite improvement over Jessie, as much as I like the latter.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#34 Post by oswaldkelso »

These were my views shared with my friends in irc. I just removed their comments and added a note at the bottom so you'll need to read between the lines.

I thought I try Debian 9... What a pile of crap

It's thrown more errors in half an hour than Dragora in 3 months

Mate uses 590MB to boot to the desktop 10X microde

Without the non free firmware it just complains all the time

I wanted to try Gnome to see if it had improved at all, so I could comment on the "Why I do not use Gnome anymore" thread and at least give a honest review. Not even sure if I'm getting Gnome or Cinnamon

Takes about 60seconds to get an actual desktop

I have 2gb of ram

Cinnamon 751MB to boot to desktop

classic 650MB

It seems clear using any gnome utilities adds a massive amount of bloat. Even using LXDE nm-applet showing 32MB. Openbox is using 16MB as opposed to 5 or so on Dragora why is that?

Anyway to cut it short. Gnome didn't work nor Xfce. Cinnamon worked but was heavy, KDE plasma worked and seemed less heavy, Mate worked as did Gnome classic and lxde. and it's just frozen solid

removed the battery as I couldn't get it to shutdown and on reboot xfce worked and was as light as lxde at 300MB

I tried Debian 9 today. Very bloated, very buggy and slowly but surely turning into RedHat

Note:
Wifi didn't work during the install despite not needing non-free firmware but did after the install.
On later boots Gnome did start! I played with it for a few hours but not long enough to give the interface a fair review. It's just to heavy/slow for me and with it being so dependent on systemd I'm not going to be using it.
I found the whole experience quite sad really.
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

GarryRicketson

#35 Post by GarryRicketson »

Debian 6 "Squeeze" was the best that I have seen. Debian 7 Wheezy, also is
great, as long as you don't upgrade past 7.4

It was refreshing to see a positive post on Debian 9, but sadly it is not the best
that Debian has come up with, and there does seem to be a trend toward it
getting worse instead of better.
It does appear that the users that were so anxious to see Debian get more like their beloved Windows, it seems like they are very happy with the new release. So at least
some users are happy.

In any event, I still appreciate all the work that goes into the development, and
it is "for free", fortunately , at least so far that has not changed.
And I am glad to see some people are happy with it.