Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Stretch on AMD Duron

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Lysander

Stretch on AMD Duron

#1 Post by Lysander »

I thought of dropping this into the RAM usage thread but then thought maybe it deserves a thread of its own. This appeared on a 'popular imageboard' this evening, I thought some here may find it... interesting.

This is beyond my understanding, certainly at this point, of how a D9 system can run on that little RAM. Would be good if someone could elaborate.

EDIT: must be with no desktop, intriguing.

Oh, and if you're interested, here's the living situation. Wish I had more idea of the background here.

GarryRicketson

Re: Stretch on AMD Duron

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

It is easy, if you get rid of all the un-needed "blobs" and baggage, like "Gnome",...
4gb ram is not necessary for Debian

I don't see what the living conditions have to do with it though. Looks like they just use the room for the computer, not to really live in.
In any event, if we include "living conditions"

and then, this:
Not Debian, but still the amount of ram used is not much, because I am not using blobs and baggage I don't need.

Funkygoby

Re: Stretch on AMD Duron

#3 Post by Funkygoby »

It doesn't make sense from a Windows point of view for sure.
Linux is not completely bloated and modules are loaded if needed only. Maybe the code running today on this machine is not completely different from the one from the 2005 era. New bug replaced old ones, some new features and that's it.
Anyway, I like your post. It helps remind me that Personal Computing is solved. The problem to address now is we need to create more bloat in order to make the modern (as in "less then 5 years old") computer mandatory for anyone (not everybody is a gamer, scientist, server hoarder).