Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

New Debian User

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
CosmicFlux

New Debian User

#1 Post by CosmicFlux »

Hi,

Just thought I'd introduce myself (I don't see a category for this, so I hope it's OK posting here)

Well, after 10+ years on Ubuntu I've decided to move upstream. With every Ubuntu release the distribution moves ever further away from its Debian roots, and I've held on for way longer than I probably should have. For me Ubuntu peaked with 7.10. Lately, every new change seems to come at the expense of stability. The straw that broke the camels back, so to speak, is the latest system update for 16.04 LTS bricking my system. I use it as a LAN server, with every device relying on it for resources. Fortunately, I have /home on its own partition and everything else backed up to an offsite cloud server.

Anyway, I decided enough was enough. I contemplated migrating to Arch/Manjaro or Fedora - heck, I even considered Slackware, although I suspect it wouldn't play all that nice with my hardware - but the thing I loved about Ubuntu was the Debian back-end. I'm not too familiar with the Red Hat implementations. So, with that in mind I decided to cut out the - increasingly volatile - middle man and migrate to Debian itself. And here I am.

Apologies for the essay.

I hope to take an active part in what is rumoured to be the best community in the Linux ecosystem.

Regards,

CF :D
System Specification:

CPU: Intel i7-6770K @ 4Ghz
RAM: 32GB DDR4
GFX: Nvidia GTX 960
HDD: 128GB SSD, 2TB IDE

DESKTOP: Gnome 3

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: New Debian User

#2 Post by Hallvor »

Hello and welcome! We must have been at ubuntuforums.org at the same time, then. I started out with Ubuntu 6.06 (Dapper Drake), and must have left just before 8.04 (Hardy Heron).

Debian is an excellent choice if you like to use your computer instead of tinkering and troubleshooting bugs, and upgrades between stable releases are usually unproblematic.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

HuangLao

Re: New Debian User

#3 Post by HuangLao »

welcome to Debian. FYI, you might get bored with the stability...lol

Interesting that you thought Slackware might not run on your machine, i've found that Slack can run on just about anything, new or old.