Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 9 Stretch - unable to reboot or shut down laptop

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
diniwed

Debian 9 Stretch - unable to reboot or shut down laptop

#1 Post by diniwed »

After upgrading from Jessie to Stretch I am unable to reboot the system. The system appears to shut down cleanly displaying the usual sequence of messages concluding with a "System Halted" or such but it does not power off and automatically restart as expected. I need to manually power off the machine and power it on again to start the boot process. The same thing occurs when I shut down the system instead of rebooting: the machine is stuck displaying the "halted" message and I have to power it off manually. As a temporary workaround I eventually found that editing the grub menu and adding "acpi=off" to the linux kernel boot paramaters takes care of this particular issue. The laptop is an old lenovo Thinkpad w700.

debiman

Re: Debian 9 Stretch - unable to reboot or shut down laptop

#2 Post by debiman »

does acpi=off affect the laptop's usability?
if not, you can make it permanent by adding it in /etc/default/grub (and don't forget update-grub afterwards)
if yes, there is many more acpi options for the kernel; you have to find people with similar problems and try their solutions

diniwed

#3 Post by diniwed »

Apologies. I realize I posted to the wrong forum. I guess I should have opened this under Help->System Configuration (?). In any case I am having other issues that could also be related to either apci or the new 4.9 kernel… and since such minor problems never get fixed in debian stable I guess that for the time being my best bet is to go back to debian 8 (oldstable) where this antiquated laptop worked more to my liking… keeping the stretch environment to look into this further if/when I have time.

gzcwnk

#4 Post by gzcwnk »

Did you get anywhere with this? I have the exact same problem on a dell e6430. "reboot" or shutdown -r now" does not reboot the system it simply shuts down. Debian 8 was fine Debian 9, not.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#5 Post by None1975 »

gzcwnk wrote:Did you get anywhere with this? I have the exact same problem on a dell e6430. "reboot" or shutdown -r now" does not reboot the system it simply shuts down. Debian 8 was fine Debian 9, not.
Did you tray

Code: Select all

systemctl reboot
for reboot and

Code: Select all

systemctl poweroff
for poweroff?
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github