Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

[ARTICLE] "...Toughest Linux Operating Systems to install?"

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
debiman

Re: [ARTICLE] "...Toughest Linux Operating Systems to insta

#16 Post by debiman »

^ i always found that Crux was aptly named in that respect.
:mrgreen:

sevendogsbsd

#17 Post by sevendogsbsd »

I can only assume the author arranged them in numerical order of INCREASING difficulty, because that is the only order that makes sense. Totally depends on skill level of course. I find Gentoo easy to install for example, it's just a PITA because it takes so long and I hate having to compile packages: the speed gains to me, do not outweigh the effort involved.
"No one outside ourselves can rule us inwardly. When we know this, we become free."
--Buddha

RU55EL

#18 Post by RU55EL »

sevendogsbsd wrote:I can only assume the author arranged them in numerical order of INCREASING difficulty, because that is the only order that makes sense. [...]
I think you are right.

Another interesting article by the same author: 5 Signs That Show You’re a Linux Geek

The fifth reason:
5. You’re Using LFS, Gentoo, or Arch Linux

alan stone

#19 Post by alan stone »

Thinking... If universe = x, is 1/x = inverse universe?

EDIT: P.S. Number 1.

debiman

#20 Post by debiman »

sevendogsbsd wrote:I find Gentoo easy to install for example, it's just a PITA because it takes so long and I hate having to compile packages: the speed gains to me, do not outweigh the effort involved.
i didn't consider that (in one of my previous responses).
however, i tried it, and failed after a few days (a short time span for a gentoo install i guess).
RU55EL wrote:Another interesting article by the same author: 5 Signs That Show You’re a Linux Geek
i'm still failing miserably on Nr.4 (but i wouldn't have to reboot just to get out of vi)... :-(

i guess i'll never be a real nerd...

alan stone

#21 Post by alan stone »

RU55EL wrote:Another interesting article by the same author: 5 Signs That Show You’re a Linux Geek
1. My terminal is a wooden box or an urn. :lol: Haven't decided yet.
debiman wrote:i guess i'll never be a real nerd...
Interesting... What's the difference between geeks and nerds. :wink:

Head_on_a_Stick

#22 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

deadbang

sevendogsbsd

#23 Post by sevendogsbsd »

debiman wrote:
sevendogsbsd wrote:I find Gentoo easy to install for example, it's just a PITA because it takes so long and I hate having to compile packages: the speed gains to me, do not outweigh the effort involved.
however, i tried it, and failed after a few days (a short time span for a gentoo install i guess).
No worries - Gentoo always breaks at some point or another during an update for me as well. I have used it on and off for 3 or 4 years and the same thing happens: a bug gets introduced upstream or by a package maintainer and the emerge fails, which doesn't allow you to update at all. It is usually fixed in a matter of hours but after using it for a few weeks and dealing with long compile times and occasional breakages, I reconsider why I am doing this and switch back to a binary package distro. It is so much faster to

Code: Select all

apt install xxx or pacman -S xxx
:D
"No one outside ourselves can rule us inwardly. When we know this, we become free."
--Buddha

milomak

#25 Post by milomak »

sevendogsbsd wrote:
debiman wrote:
No worries - Gentoo always breaks at some point or another during an update for me as well. I have used it on and off for 3 or 4 years and the same thing happens: a bug gets introduced upstream or by a package maintainer and the emerge fails, which doesn't allow you to update at all. It is usually fixed in a matter of hours but after using it for a few weeks and dealing with long compile times and occasional breakages, I reconsider why I am doing this and switch back to a binary package distro. It is so much faster to

Code: Select all

apt install xxx or pacman -S xxx
:D
that was my feel around gentoo as well. though in the main it ran well.
Desktop: A320M-A PRO MAX, AMD Ryzen 5 3600, GALAX GeForce RTX™ 2060 Super EX (1-Click OC) - Sid, Win10, Arch Linux, Gentoo, Solus
Laptop: hp 250 G8 i3 11th Gen - Sid
Kodi: AMD Athlon 5150 APU w/Radeon HD 8400 - Sid

stevepusser

#26 Post by stevepusser »

Comments on Gentoo bring this article back to mind: https://www.sudosatirical.com/articles/ ... o-install/
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#27 Post by debiman »

stevepusser wrote:Comments on Gentoo bring this article back to mind: https://www.sudosatirical.com/articles/ ... o-install/
Local authorities have issued a warning that this can happen more often than you might think. “Unfortunately, we’ve seen something similar before,” said Senior Constable John Brady. “Only two months ago we were called into the home of an individual who was in distress after executing the ‘emerge -uDU –with-bdeps=y @world’ command on their Gentoo system. We would urge all users of such systems to go easy on the bigger, more complicated or bloated software, even if you have a fast system. We are very, very concerned someone might actually die one day.”
:lol:

glad to see they're still at it.
no other site makes fun of Linux clichés in a "Real World" setting...