Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Time Zones Specification Change? Jessie vs. Stretch?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
shinobi

Time Zones Specification Change? Jessie vs. Stretch?

#1 Post by shinobi »

Time Zones Specification Change? Jessie vs. Stretch? Doing some Ansible automation, in capturing configuration information, found that Stretch returns US/Pacific, where Jessie returns America/Los_Angeles?

# timedatectl | grep zone | cut -d ' ' -f10
America/Los_Angeles

# timedatectl | grep zone | cut -d ' ' -f10
US/Pacific

Not questioning this, just can't seem to find a documented reference on why this was done? No mention in the Stretch release notes? Clearly this was some type of design decision change?

RU55EL

Re: Time Zones Specification Change? Jessie vs. Stretch?

#2 Post by RU55EL »

Six of one, half dozen of the other.

America/Los_Angeles and US/Pacific are exactly the same time zone.

US/Pacific is more appropriate, in my opinion, because is clearly indicates the Pacific time zone. Los Angeles is a city in the Pacific time zone, but not the only one. What about Seattle or San Diego?

Changing to US/Pacific is an improvement, not a specification change.

shinobi

Re: Time Zones Specification Change? Jessie vs. Stretch?

#3 Post by shinobi »

Since I am working on Ansible automation, I just queried the OS version, and the Ansible playbook injects 'America/Los_Angeles' for Jessie, and 'US/Pacific' for Stretch or later. Not pretty but will work for now.