Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Seperate GTK2/GTK3 Chromium build?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
pthfdr-42

Seperate GTK2/GTK3 Chromium build?

#1 Post by pthfdr-42 »

In a recent update in Unstable, Chromium now depends on GTK3, and not everyone wants that.I am one of them.
More importantly, Chromium was the last full-featured web browser that supported GTK2.
GTK3 is noticeably hard to theme without GNOME, breaks too often, and it depends on systemd.
Some "large" programs give you the choice, for example, LibreOffice, with packages "libreoffice-gtk2" and "libreoffice-gtk3".Why Chromium can't?
I do not think that is is a matter of codebase.The update does not even bump its minor version (63.0.3239.40-1 --> 63.0.3239.84-1)!

GarryRicketson

Re: Seperate GTK2/GTK3 Chromium build?

#2 Post by GarryRicketson »

Why Chromium can't?
Who knows why ?, no matter I stopped using it a couple of years ago, to many problems,...
not everyone wants that.I am one of them.
More importantly, Chromium was the last full-featured web browser that supported GTK2.
GTK3 is noticeably hard to theme without GNOME, breaks too often, and it depends on systemd.
Me too, again the easy solution was to stop using them,
Some "large" programs give you the choice,--- snip ----
Yes, and that is a valid option , use what gives you the choices you need,...
Some OS's don't use systemd either, the same applies, use what has the features you need, and does not have the features you don't like, .... I don't see the point in this topic ? Can you clarify ?

pthfdr-42

#3 Post by pthfdr-42 »

The point: stop moving every application that used GTK2 to use GTK3, or at least, gives the users two packages to choose: one compiled against GTK2 and the other compiled against GTK3.

GarryRicketson

#4 Post by GarryRicketson »

But, we are just Debian users here, we don't have any say in what the
Gnome and Chromium developers do. Sorry.

P.S. Many did not like the idea of systemd either, but that is another issue,
On Debian, the developers and packagers have choose to follow a certain
path,... There is not really any thing we can do to change that. I don't think
very many developers pay much attention to what goes on here on this forum.
but could be wrong on that.
The only solution I personally could find, was to start looking for applications and sources that suit me. Essentially those that wish to keep using GTK 2 are going to have to learn how to compile and build their own, like wise those that
don't like or want systemd, have started working on non-systemd systems,..
I don't know if they are using GTK2 or 3, some others may chime in on that.

Even in the BSD's , this is a issue, https://www.reddit.com/r/openbsd/commen ... goes_gtk3/
Again, I stopped using Gnome, Chromium,(a long time ago) and these kind of applications, started using a WM, and mostly my own customized apps, for my browser I am using Seamonkey, and do not have any of the issues associated with Gnome,and Chrome or Chromium.

pthfdr-42

#5 Post by pthfdr-42 »

Seamonkey used GTK3 instead of GTK2 months ago, in version 2.49.1.
Chromium was the only browser that still used GTK2, but today it is all over.
I wonder whether there are feedback emails or something equivalent.
Even on Gentoo, there are no user flags for which GTK version to use.
I guess that I have to use the old trick, which is to unpack the DEB and change the version number to 9999, to prevent updates.

Nili

#6 Post by Nili »

Then this is more or less the situation with Linux and World of Linux today. I don't mean Linux kernel, the others behind him.
We live in a time of consumption, Technology is moving fast, some things are seen with many interest eyes that may collide with my eye or yours.

Some like true UNIX on Linux, but some others like to make Windows/Mac clone system/applications.

There is still to choose OS BSD, (Start learning and you will never regret it) loyal to Unix principles (do one thing , do it better).
Owns older system? well, there is ReactOS 70MB to 100MB ISO. LOoks like Windows but isn't :)
Other to consider antiX, puppy we'll give you a bit longer support to you or your favorite browser.

Regarding browser, there are GTK2 for Debian netsurf-gtk, Pale Moon (not in the official repository) or links2

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install netsurf-gtk

Code: Select all

sudo apt-get install links2
Pale Moon release binaries.

There are still choices, but the strain is getting stuck more and more...
Happy enjoyable choices!

Nili
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

GarryRicketson

#7 Post by GarryRicketson »

Seamonkey used GTK3 instead of GTK2 months ago, in version 2.49.1.
I didn't know that, but I am still using 2.48,...just goes to show though.
Nili>>Technology is moving fast, some things are seen with many interest eyes that may collide with my eye or yours.
As far as Debian goes, I don't mention it much, because sometime ago for
some reason it got a couple, well maybe just 1 forum member, upset when
I mentioned I was still using Debian 6 squeeze, also Debian 7 as well.

Nili

#8 Post by Nili »

GarryRicketson wrote:As far as Debian goes, I don't mention it much, because sometime ago for
some reason it got a couple, well maybe just 1 forum member, upset when
I mentioned I was still using Debian 6 squeeze, also Debian 7 as well.
Garry, Debian 6 especially Debian 7 personally for me are the most arduous success on Debian. BUT there is still NETINST, plain and simple to chose or use. "To choose" this is missing somewhere on Apps or Devs mind today. Until Debian offer us NETINST for me it has helped a lot and should be thanked.

I think there are people or member like so much the newest releases, don't care for stability, they'd made many backups ready in case anything goes wrong and are always on hunt for new releases. I was once myself such, always on view help/about or apt-cache policy package during my testing/sid.
Damn that fixation of having latest version thank God i have long removed from my mind.

People with newest hardware wants always newest software support, the rest of members are a bit slower, looks the update/upgrade process without a hurry.
I see, old as old wine. I go with a system without formating for more than 5 years some other formats every week or distro-hop every day. I'm just a patient member like a few. Well, everyone speaks according to their own preferences. Just enjoy your ride without giving much importance.

Best regards!
Nili
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

n_hologram

#9 Post by n_hologram »

@OP: You might skim Chromium's source code, and see if there is a build option to disable gtk3 or enable gtk2. I'm sure the build instructions and structure will be sensible (or, at least, different) if you pull the debian source, rather than using the official one -- but I thought you might find this to be of interest...

fwiw, I use palemoon on all my systems except the BSDs (firefox) and Android (firefox quantum, though Chromium SWE seems like a legit alternative).
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...