Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Desktop Applications (20+ for every one task)

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
makh

Re: Desktop Applications (20+ for every one task)

#46 Post by makh »

Hi

Theres always room for improvement...

The desktop enhancements like these:
https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page= ... Initiative

But ... they should keep the option of old interfaces, still intact.

It is difficult for some people to adapt to changes. A Desktop shoud remain desktop, rather than become a touch mobile thing.

Thankyou
ThinkPad E14: Arch, Debian Stable
GUI: Xfce

For new: Try MX Linux, Linux Mint; later join Debian Stable

Wheelerof4te

#47 Post by Wheelerof4te »

makh wrote:A Desktop shoud remain desktop, rather than become a touch mobile thing.
This is becoming more and more meaningless since small notebooks, tablets and smartphones already saturate the consumer market. Only hardcore gamers and office workers need desktops now, the rest is (semi)mobile.
The future is all about mini computers and all-in-one devices, such as smartphones. Today's children are tomorrow's adults. Those children are getting used to touch-screens. As such, modern graphical environments (GE) have to adapt.

debiman

#48 Post by debiman »

makh wrote:But ... they should keep the option of old interfaces, still intact.
weren't you preaching less choice all the time?

makh

#49 Post by makh »

ThinkPad E14: Arch, Debian Stable
GUI: Xfce

For new: Try MX Linux, Linux Mint; later join Debian Stable

Wheelerof4te

#50 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^I have read carefuly until he spewed this nonsense:
Think about it. The one big breakthrough in the Linux world was - and still is - Ubuntu. Everything changed once Mark Shuttleworth decided to step into this world, business savvy, rich and focused. In a short span of years, he commercialized the distribution he created, he set up a fairly successful company, and he made the Linux desktop recognizable and synonymous with Ubuntu. We have the classic business model - a leader, a company, clear goals, things being run with real objectives. Has not been replicated since by any pluralistic model.
He clearly missed one big elephant in the room, named Debian. But then again, he does not like Debian for some reason:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/debian-9.html
EDIT: Another gem:
I have always claimed that 90% of all distributions are unnecessary. I still believe that, and I think the actual percentage is even higher. Only a few systems should remain, and the superb, unique ideas from individual projects merged. Because yes, you do get occasional brilliance in Linux, like everywhere else in life. Grab the SUSE installer, grab the MX Tools, grab Ubuntu Dash, and cobble together a wonder.
Grab the Debian repos, grab the Debian devs, grab apt, grab DFSG, grab GNU...I could go on some more, but you get the point.

zerubbabel

#51 Post by zerubbabel »

He clearly missed one big elephant in the room, named Debian. But then again, he does not like Debian for some reason:
https://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/debian-9.html
I was perplexed to read this posting, as I ran Ubuntu and Mint for almost ten years before I decided to try Debian. I've been running Debian Testing now for over six months, with the Cinnamon desktop, and it's been delightful -- nimble, stable, fresh. I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

debiman

#52 Post by debiman »

dedoimedo is such a fool.
writing "technical" reviews, aimed at "normal" users, he himself (let's just assume he's male) doesn't seem to have learned anything in over a decade, dismissing (and dissing) everything that does not please him immediately, like a 13 year old smartphone junkie with attention deficit disorder.

there's quite a few elephants that dedoimedo missed - debian, redhat, slackware, archlinux and many more distros that are much older than cuttleworth's cockup and still alive and kicking (not to mention even older forerunners that are no more, or newer ones that employ canonical's "ideas" with equal or more success).
but i guess the incompetent need exactly one hero to worship, lest they get confused.

also dedoimedo seems to be confusing a herd of "upstream" developers/coders/programers with distro maintainers.
and forgets that a similar herd of "egos" exists for ALL operating systems.
dozens of freemium note-taking apps for windows, just a random example.

also many linux distros have distinctly hierarchical structures, but still manage to be democratic, consensual and community-driven.
wrap your head around that, single-minded fool!

also this:
Because yes, you do get occasional brilliance in Linux, like everywhere else in life. Grab the SUSE installer, grab the MX Tools, grab Ubuntu Dash, and cobble together a wonder.
sounds like dedoimedo just invented distro nr. 1001.
so much for egos.

as always with such articles, i wonder why the writer even still bothers with gnu/linux after so many years?
clearly the commercial & proprietary OSs of this world are much more focused and better, no?