Desktop Applications (20+ for every one task)

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Desktop Applications (20+ for every one task)

Postby makh » 2018-01-07 07:09

Hi

Wrt:
https://itsfoss.com/visio-alternatives-linux/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=new_open_source_mobile_os_gnome_customization_and_ubuntu_1710_iso_recall&utm_term=2018-01-05

Note:
1. This point is not related to WMs or their applications, extensions etc
2. This point is more related to basic Desktop applications.

1. I dont pretty much understand why do we have so many alternates to nautilus. Maximum 3 developed for standard DEs should have been enough.
2. Why there are more than a dozen desktop environments, each trying to give icons and interface, for the very same purpose. Again Cinnamon/Xfce, KDE and Gnome were more than enough.
3. I like Kolourpaint more than others, personally. But still there may be some lags in it, but having gpaint, and all others for same single task.
4. So many panel applications/docks...
5. Cd/Dvd Burning: k3b is my choice, but there are so many others, for each desktop!
6. Audio/Music players, more than many, competing each other.
7. Ending the basic default list here. (others: terminals, archiving tools, office, web browsers, task manager, calender, image viewers, video players)

Why not just have 3/4 main projects, just like Distros: Debian, Fedora, LFS, and rest if the developers are interested to branch them from the original projects, as derived Distros, but still linked to the main project, and if there is positive development in the downstream, then all the upstream can also benefit from it. Though I do assume, it doesnt exist, yet.

Still some good alternates (2 or 3 only) ... seem missing, in Linux world, to:
1. xsane
2. Hplip
3. etc

And again nothing solid exists against, wrt same inter collaboration between developers:
1. AutoCAD
2. Some Adobe Products
3. etc

Thankyou
HP Probook 440 G2: Arch, Debian Stable
Server: none
Past: Debian, Centos, Ubuntu, Opensuse
GUI: Openbox, Cinnamon
Chroot: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora
VM: Devuan

Employing the best:
Arabic
Debian
Homeopathic

For new: Try Linux Mint
makh

Re: Desktop Applications (20+ for every one task)

Postby Dai_trying » 2018-01-07 09:38

I think the main reason we have so many options for some desktops/applications is the freedom of choice, we (Linux users) are not limited to what one company/OS wants us to use, also there are some systems where one particular package will work better with lower resources than the most commonly used one which might be better on a newer higher spec machines. We have the choice of either installing or not installing any of the thousands of packages available, in my opinion it is one of the benefits of using Debian (and its derivatives), the choices are (almost) unlimited.
Dai_trying

Postby Seventh » 2018-01-07 09:51

The old saying rings true here, there is always more than one way to skin a rabbit, but in all essence you are still skinning a rabbit. I think microsoft like to skin the rabbit keep the skin and try to make another rabbit with it.
Seventh

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-01-07 09:52

makh wrote:I dont pretty much understand why do we have so many alternates

https://xkcd.com/927/
I'm old school like Happy Shopper
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-01-07 10:32

This is one horse beaten to death with small spoons. It's hard to develop standards when anyone can make a standard for himself. Certain bigger communities will make a bigger, widely used "standard". Example GNOME. You have a choice which standard to use.

Related:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VDvgL58h_Y
Wheelerof4te

Postby arochester » 2018-01-07 11:04

Why do we have so many different cars? Different specs, different styles, different colours?

Why doesn't everyone just drive a Trabant? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trabant
arochester

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-01-07 11:34

I'm going to nip this one in the bud before it gets started:

Is Linux about choice?

:twisted:
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-01-07 13:15

^This post contradicts your previous one with a comic...
Wheelerof4te

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-01-07 13:31

Wheelerof4te wrote:^This post contradicts your previous one

Quite the contrary, my contemplative friend — the old "Choice" link is a rant against the motives which are illustrated in the XKCD comic, IMO.

Both authors seem to be of the opinion that more convergence would be a Good Thing™, no?

Linux suffers badly from fragmentation and feature-creep but to some these are considered advantageous "features" :roll:
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-01-07 13:43

Ok, I agree. It was a matter of perspective.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Linux suffers badly from fragmentation and feature-creep but to some these are considered advantageous "features"

Sadly, very much true. There is no one single flag to unite open-source community, and that is most unfortunate.
Wheelerof4te

Postby makh » 2018-01-07 19:15

Interesting to note, windows and MacOS base system is fixed by single and default applications, a few default I may have skipped. But still, the desktop users are far more than for Linux or Debian or Redhat or others, even by summing them all upto Linux Desktop Users.

Employing the best:
Arabic
Debian
Homeopathic

makh

Postby Innovate » 2018-01-07 22:17

Take a hint: Do you really want linux only have gnome/unity desktop as choice? :mrgreen:
Why so many DE? repeat my hint again as loop.

Why so many kinds of food?
Take a hint: do you want to eat only fried egg every day unable to eat other kinds of foods? :twisted:
Why so many kinds food? repeat my hint again as loop.
Innovate

Postby debiman » 2018-01-08 07:00

makh wrote:Interesting to note, windows and MacOS base system is fixed by single and default applications, a few default I may have skipped.
yes, because they are owned and centralised.
i will always prefer something community-driven, even if it means things are more messy.

But still, the desktop users are far more than for Linux or Debian or Redhat or others, even by summing them all upto Linux Desktop Users.
yes, we know.
thanks for pointing it out again.
maybe you really shoudln't be using any form of Linux at all, since it is so fundamentally flawed? imagine how much happier you would be?
debiman

Postby makh » 2018-01-08 18:01

Innovate wrote:Take a hint: Do you really want linux only have gnome/unity desktop as choice? :mrgreen:
Why so many DE? repeat my hint again as loop.

Why so many kinds of food?
Take a hint: do you want to eat only fried egg every day unable to eat other kinds of foods? :twisted:
Why so many kinds food? repeat my hint again as loop.

Did you really read my first post or are the usual troll?

@ Debuman:
you seem to be off topic... why? I really dont know...
Windows & MacOS do not stop you from installing anything you want to. I meant that the base system is small... this makes their Desktops more practical for average users, for many tasks.

Employing the best:
Arabic
Debian
Homeopathic

makh

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-01-08 18:35

makh wrote:I meant that the base system is small...

Windows 10 base install is around 25-30 GB, while typical GNOME install is about 7-8 GB. Even less for other DEs. I agree that Innovate makes a strawman's argument. That too is a big problem in Linux community. Too many strawmen, too little developer cohesion.
Wheelerof4te

Next

Return to General Discussion