Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

GNOME Client-Side Decorations (CSD) discussion

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Wheelerof4te

Re: GNOME Client-Side Decorations (CSD) discussion

#31 Post by Wheelerof4te »

oswaldkelso wrote: It's a control grab
What you are calling a control grab, many people in the real world call "setting principles". Someone has to step in and say "enough chaos, time for some rules". That means, in simple terms, developer A can't make some half-assed project and call it a fork of developer B's perfectly working program. Thus fragmenting the system, creating needless confusion and wasting man-hours that could have been better spent on contributing to existing projects. Not to mention the tribalism that comes from it.

oswaldkelso
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#32 Post by oswaldkelso »

"real world"
Last time I checked I'm in the same world as you
"setting principles"
I love to step in and say "enough chaos, time for some rules"
That means, in simple terms, developer A can't make some half-assed project and call it a fork of developer B's perfectly working program. Thus fragmenting the system, creating needless confusion and wasting man-hours that could have been better spent on contributing to existing projects.
Don't be silly. forking is a core principal of free software. If you don't want free software run Windows, Apple or Mint etc
Not to mention the tribalism that comes from it.

Like no way but the gnome way.... feck that

See what I did there with the short quotes :wink:
Free Software Matters
Ash init durbatulûk, ash init gimbatul,
Ash init thrakatulûk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
My oldest used PC: 1999 imac 333Mhz 256MB PPC abandoned by Debian

bw123

#33 Post by bw123 »

oswaldkelso wrote: Don't be silly. forking is a core principal of free software. If you don't want free software run Windows, Apple or Mint etc
Not to mention the tribalism that comes from it.

Like no way but the gnome way.... feck that

See what I did there with the short quotes :wink:
I agree, tribalism has worked for mankind this long, why stop now? The way this discussion is going reminds me of a pokemon game, train linux up and morph into the gnomeaton, so it can fight against the wintranator.

What a waste to try and put desktop linux into one category. The way it is now, we have indivudual systems that are only as functional as their administrator wants them to be.

If an "average" user can't find a distro that works for them, then they are just plain lazy.

the thing linux doesn't have is a uniform way to exploit it's users for money, and that's likely the main complaint and motivation of all the "unification" efforts.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#34 Post by steve_v »

bw123 wrote:the thing linux doesn't have is a uniform way to exploit it's users for money, and that's likely the main complaint and motivation of all the "unification" efforts.
This ^. As I mentioned earlier, the only ones who want a unified linux ecosystem are the purveyors (and to a lesser extent users) of proprietary software.
Unification doesn't help free software, it helps commercial interests. It's no coincidence that most of this unification effort is being driven by redhat, the distro with by far the largest commercial funding.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

Wheelerof4te

#35 Post by Wheelerof4te »

You will not be able to disable overlay scrollbars in GTK4
If the application developer wants to provide an application-specific setting and wire it to the GtkScrolledWindow API, it's entirely in their capacity to do so.
More GNOME goodness. Keep streamlining the experience :)