Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

What desktop are you using?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

What desktop are you using?

GNOME
17%
KDE
14%
XFCE
28%
MATE
11%
Cinnamon
5%
LXDE
2%
LXQT
1%
Simple X window manager (IceWM, Openbox, Fluxbox, etc)
22%

Total votes: 87

Head_on_a_Stick

Re: What desktop are you using?

#16 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

PekWM + lxpanel :)
deadbang

Nili

#17 Post by Nili »

Back on spectrwm. After on a relatively time with herbstluftwm returning back on spectrwm. I have to affirm the latter is way faster WM and floats works good. I'm getting straight away at spectrwm.conf.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

kedaha

#18 Post by kedaha »

I use mate. I always used Gnome2 and when that got done away with I tried Gnome3 for some time with the classic look but decided that mate was for me. I don't chop and change.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Argus

#19 Post by Argus »

i3 or xfce4, depending on my mood.

Sometimes I use gnome, too, but I have a love-hate relationship with it and detest the attitude of the developers, which tends to be very dismissive of the needs of anyone who doesn't fit their target demographic (very casual / unsophisticated users) and relies on difficult to maintain extensions that break with every release to be palatable or modify essential settings. Also, I'm afraid Gnome will prematurely drop support for X11 before Wayland is actually fully functional and useable in more than just casual/basic use cases. As things are going now, it will be a very long time before I can do everything on Wayland that I can do on X, and gnome's reputation is not so good when it comes to retaining functionality that users rely on. :?

debiman

#20 Post by debiman »

^ ah, that's eloquent. well spoken.

anyhow, i'm glad to see the "simple X windowmanager" voters are in the lead!
XFCE as a clear second also isn't too shabby, esp. considering it's not debian's default desktop.

dilberts_left_nut
Administrator
Administrator

#21 Post by dilberts_left_nut »

XFCE with kwin.
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...

Head_on_a_Stick

#22 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Trying out Sway in Debian stable, it's a Wayland port of i3:

https://software.opensuse.org//download ... ckage=sway
deadbang

Nili

#23 Post by Nili »

I came back again to Openbox, where everything started for me also to stay on stack all the time.

My adventure with tiling WM here it ends, as long it lasted, I was satisfied learning and playing with many tile WM.

dwm
spectrwm
windowlab
herbstluftwm those were a few that stayed with me for a long time. Now the couple Openbox+Tint2 i believe it will ease me even more.
openSUSE Tumbleweed KDE/Wayland

♫♪ Elisa playing...
Damascus Cocktail ♪ Black Reverie ♪ Dye the sky.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#24 Post by None1975 »

I switch back to Herbstluftwm. Much simpler than Xmonad.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

n_hologram

#25 Post by n_hologram »

Openbox for normal usage, dwm for developing.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

zerubbabel

#26 Post by zerubbabel »

I use Cinnamon on Debian Testing, and it is very nice.

bester69

#27 Post by bester69 »

sunrat wrote:KDE here too. Plasma 5.10 is the most well-behaved DE I've ever used and a marked improvement on 5.8 which is currently in Stretch. Kate and Konsole are excellent. Dolphin is the best file manager ever. I find myself using its F4 drop-down console a lot lately. And of course KDE Connect which integrates some neat phone features such as file transfer and media player control, SMS on desktop, and using phone as a desktop pointing device.
I agree with this

KDE plasma is best desktop right now, It has many reason to choose it,
but to me the main reasons are: DOLPHIN , KMAIL and NOTIFY services, dolphin is amazing and very suitable for productivity works, and Kmail is best integrity desktop-mail experience available in linux.

It also brings onboard some worthy apps like: kate, KALARM and KDE-CONNECT
bester69 wrote:STOP 2030 globalists demons, keep the fight for humanity freedom against NWO...

jezzivi

#28 Post by jezzivi »

KDE here too. 8)

Wheelerof4te

#29 Post by Wheelerof4te »

KDE is more familiar to former Windows users, but it suffers from inconsistencies. A lot of settings look out-of-reach and are in not so obvious places. For example, to switch to double-click folder opening, you go to Mouse settings under Input devices. Why not on File manager settings?
Wholle DE looks amateurish with all those widgets that look out of place, too. User is forced to adapt to an ever-changing UI.
General look and feel is great, though. Themes and icons are among the best in Linux world. They should just fix the confusion, and they are on that way since 5.12.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#30 Post by sunrat »

Wheelerof4te wrote:KDE is more familiar to former Windows users, but it suffers from inconsistencies. A lot of settings look out-of-reach and are in not so obvious places. For example, to switch to double-click folder opening, you go to Mouse settings under Input devices. Why not on File manager settings?
Then you have to go somewhere else to change it for other things like desktop application shortcuts. I'll bet the devs pondered at length to decide where to put some settings as there is a lot configurable in KDE. Most of them are somewhere in System Settings.
Wholle DE looks amateurish with all those widgets that look out of place, too. User is forced to adapt to an ever-changing UI.
General look and feel is great, though. Themes and icons are among the best in Linux world. They should just fix the confusion, and they are on that way since 5.12.
Are you using a different KDE from me? :) I find it to be consistent and functional without looking too flashy. Of course you can add flashy if that's your thing.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Hallvor
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

#31 Post by Hallvor »

sunrat wrote: Then you have to go somewhere else to change it for other things like desktop application shortcuts. I'll bet the devs pondered at length to decide where to put some settings as there is a lot configurable in KDE. Most of them are somewhere in System Settings.
I was able to find it in System Settings using the search function in literally five seconds. More options make each option a little harder to find, but the ability to search in System Settings is very nice.
[HowTo] Install and configure Debian bookworm
Debian 12 | KDE Plasma | ThinkPad T440s | 4 × Intel® Core™ i7-4600U CPU @ 2.10GHz | 12 GiB RAM | Mesa Intel® HD Graphics 4400 | 1 TB SSD

Wheelerof4te

#32 Post by Wheelerof4te »

sunrat wrote:Are you using a different KDE from me?
No, I'm using GNOME. I have tried KDE 5.12 recently in Manjaro, and KDE 5.8 some months back on Stretch. I was speaking from that experience.

ticojohn

#33 Post by ticojohn »

I've tried several different desktops (GNOME, LXDE, KDE a,d XFCE). My personal preference is XFCE4. I also use lightdm. I have plenty of ram and system resources but just don't care for GNOME and KDE.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

Funkygoby

#34 Post by Funkygoby »

Xfce4

Back in the days (~2007), I was using hopping between Gnome2 and Xfce4, I settled on the later and never looked back.
The slow developpement is a feature. It is like taking the back seat and watching others projects try new things.
There is no rush porting Xfce4 to GTK+3 or Qt5.

HuangLao

#35 Post by HuangLao »

This was tough for me.

If using a DE then its Xfce, however, I have used Fluxbox (twm and blackbox before that) for many years (back to Unix days), recently I started playing with i3wm and I dare say I am booting into i3 more then Fluxbox.....hell hath frozen over?

PS: I voted for WM.