Year of the Linux Desktop is near

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Re: Year of the Linux Desktop is near

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-02-06 20:04

Wheelerof4te wrote:You still have BSD's and Slackware if tinkering with the OS rather than using it to do any work is your thing

Is that why Netflix proudly boast of their FreeBSD server capabilities that far exceed anything Linux can manage?

Or why Microsoft now fund OpenBSD for the use of their LibreSSL software in Windows?

Your comments are offensive and ignorant, please stop.
"Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education." — Bertrand Russell
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby acewiza » 2018-02-06 20:08

HuangLao wrote:Think supercomputers, satellites, military, government, cellphones, IOT (internet of things or internet of threats, you choose), etc...

Exactly. Harbor no illusions about Linux' role where alot of the real computing work is getting done.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.
acewiza

Postby makh » 2018-02-11 05:40

HP Probook 440 G2: Arch, Debian Stable
Server: none
Past: Debian, Centos, Ubuntu, Opensuse
GUI: Openbox, Cinnamon
Chroot: Debian, Ubuntu, Fedora
VM: Devuan

Employing the best:
Arabic
Debian
Homeopathic

For new: Try Linux Mint
makh

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-02-11 11:27

^ Is there an echo in here? :roll:
"Men are born ignorant, not stupid. They are made stupid by education." — Bertrand Russell
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby alan stone » 2018-02-12 08:20

Wheelerof4te wrote:^You still have BSD's and Slackware if tinkering with the OS rather than using it to do any work is your thing.

This fired my Bull Shit Detector. :mrgreen:

Back to tinkering my BSD setup...
Last edited by alan stone on 2018-02-12 13:29, edited 2 times in total.
Debian 8.9 32bit, WM: Openbox
America is great because she is good. If America ceases to be good, America will cease to be great. - Alexis de Tocqueville
alan stone

Postby Lysander » 2018-02-12 12:28

Wheelerof4te wrote:^You still have BSD's and Slackware if tinkering with the OS rather than using it to do any work is your thing.

I think this may come down to relative interpretations of the words 'simple' and 'tinkering'. 'Simple' can either mean easy to use, or, in the context of *nix, it can mean single-processed. Slackware is not easy to use, but it does support a simple paradigm of one process > one action [or output].

'Tinkering', on the other hand, has the implication of 'needlessly tweaking' or 'unnecessary voluntary tweaking' for minor performance benefits in the face of production [which is what you seem to be referring to]. However, 'tinkering' could also [or either] refer to 'necessary revisions on a rolling distro' if, e.g. an updated package breaks another.

In the case of an OS like Slackware, which has a stable branch, tinkering, by the first definition, is voluntary. When you have it set up as you want, it will leave you alone. You can choose when to update. There is no hindrance to productivity. If you are running a rolling distro like Arch, then 'necessary revisions' are more likely to be a timesink.

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Your comments are offensive and ignorant, please stop.

They do show a level of ignorance but there are two types of ignorance - one is wanton and one is not. If Wheeler realises the impact of his comments and chooses to adapt them, then all the better. I think this would be preferable course of action rather than skipping to another forum, whereby there is still potential to cause offence. On the other hand, asking someone to desist because of offence caused does not solve all related issues in itself - there are [at least] two solutions - the 'offender' learning from experience or both parties accepting differences/perspectives. Here we are dealing with facts rather than opinions so, once again, the former course would theoretically be preferable.
Lysander

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-02-12 19:49

Lysander wrote:
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Your comments are offensive and ignorant, please stop.

To clarify: I meant that the OP should stop the ignorant comments, their assistance in support threads is always welcome.
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Luna Moon » 2018-02-19 12:21

I guess we will see if this opportunity will make Linux more popular for people, who are being pushed away from windows or not. I doubt it, but only future can tell.
Luna Moon

Postby Lysander » 2018-02-19 20:11

Luna Moon wrote:I guess we will see if this opportunity will make Linux more popular for people, who are being pushed away from windows or not. I doubt it, but only future can tell.

Well, the telemetry employed by W10 did push some people over to Linux. As did the adoption of Steam for some others. However, market share appears to have dropped on the desktop in recent months. There was a period in the summer where it flirted with 3% but now it's back down. Maybe some people had time to experiment over the holidays only to revert to Windows.
Lysander

Previous

Return to General Discussion