Year of the Linux Desktop is near

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Year of the Linux Desktop is near

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-02-04 12:26

Microsoft to make Windows 10 S default. Thank you, Satya Nadella

Microsoft is going to make Windows 10 S default on it's future shipped devices. This decision is likely in the light of a new strategy to push UWP style apps to it's consumers. A lot of people are not ready for this, and they could look for alternatives. It is time to make Linux a valid replacement for Windows. We won't get a better chance than this.
Last edited by Wheelerof4te on 2018-02-04 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
Wheelerof4te

Re: Year of the Linux Desktop is near

Postby dcihon » 2018-02-04 12:37

This might help clarify a little about your Windows 10 Choices you will have:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4020089/windows-10-s-faq

In my opinion most consumers will just use what people hand them. They don't care about the OS just as long as they can run their apps.
So if you go buy a new PC and it has whatever version of OS on it you will buy the app that is for that PC. Kind of like buying a car. You buy a Ford and then you buy ford parts for it.

That's my 2 cents.
dcihon

Postby pawRoot » 2018-02-04 12:38

Wheelerof4te wrote:We won't get a better chance than this.

who is we ?
pawRoot

Postby steve_v » 2018-02-04 12:48

pawRoot wrote:who is we ?
Count me out, linux doesn't need a bunch of windoze refugees, or to win some fictitious "desktop" competition.
Besides, we've heard this "year of the linux desktop" before. Didn't happen then, won't happen now.
steve_v

Postby pawRoot » 2018-02-04 12:57

steve_v wrote:
pawRoot wrote:who is we ?
Count me out, linux doesn't need a bunch of windoze refugees, or to win some fictitious "desktop" competition.
Besides, we've heard this "year of the linux desktop" before. Didn't happen then, won't happen now.

Exactly, i can't take "year of linux" seriously anymore, i thought people use it as meme only nowadays ?
pawRoot

Postby dcihon » 2018-02-04 12:59

Count me out, linux doesn't need a bunch of windoze refugees,

Where will the Linux users come from then. I wonder how many people here are Windoze refugees. I know I am one. So you don't want me here? Just joking.
dcihon

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-02-04 13:03

dcihon wrote:In my opinion most consumers will just use what people hand them.

A lot of students will need professional software for their projects. That software can be only installed outside of Microsoft Store right now. Most of it is just pirated anyway via custom-made installers that won't work in W10 S. Not to mention how hard will it be to package that software to W10 S, as opposed to new packaging formats for Linux (snaps, flatpak).

As for those who don't want Linux to succeed on the Desktop market, or don't find themselves members of the open-source collective (that's what "we" stands for), kindly avoid this thread.
Wheelerof4te

Postby pawRoot » 2018-02-04 13:07

Wheelerof4te wrote:
dcihon wrote:As for those who don't want Linux to succeed on the Desktop market, or don't find themselves members of the open-source collective (that's what "we" stands for), kindly avoid this thread.

1. Open source has nothing to do with wanting Linux to succedd on Desktop or not.
2. What did you do to "to make Linux a valid replacement for Windows."
pawRoot

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-02-04 13:10

Here's a TODO list for those who do want to capture the idiot market from Microsoft:

https://itvision.altervista.org/why.lin ... rrent.html

:mrgreen:
I suffer from depression and may lash out occasionally, try not to take it personally.
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-02-04 13:31

^Every time I open that page, each time I see more stuff in green. It's coming along nicely, things are slowly getting fixed.
pawRoot wrote:2. What did you do to "to make Linux a valid replacement for Windows."

Helped a lot of users install, fix and run Debian on this very forum. Advocated for and endorsed many major changes being made to push Linux to more users. I also have a few plans for the future regarding open-source projects of my own.
Wheelerof4te

Postby pawRoot » 2018-02-04 13:42

And has any changes been made thanks to you ?
pawRoot

Postby dcihon » 2018-02-04 13:43

I have tried to help people move to linux by putting linux on their old laptops that had Windows XP on them. Some of them are still using it some have bought new computers and went back to Windows.
I have tried to put people on libreoffice but it seems people can't learn new things and would rather pay Microsoft than to learn something new.
dcihon

Postby pawRoot » 2018-02-04 13:46

dcihon wrote:I have tried to put people on libreoffice but it seems people can't learn new things and would rather pay Microsoft than to learn something new.

Dunno about them but Libreoffice is good only for home use imo, i have heard from many people who run companies etc. that it doesn't load properly more complicated files.
pawRoot

Postby acewiza » 2018-02-04 14:49

Linux and the Linux community (My version of the loosely defined "we") vis-a-vi Windows and Microsoft is not a good bunch of related stuff to compare, IMHO. HOS's linked Linux problem article is an interesting exercise in outlining the issues, but not really relevant when the user bases are actually multiple different groups of people. There are basically 4 divisions, with crossover in the boundaries: home, office, low level and high level users. I've been out of the workplace for a couple of years now, but IIRC, the high-level home users are probably the biggest singularly identifiable bunch of Linux users. They are scattered amongst everyone else, typically with membership in more than one group if they work anywhere in commercial industry.

I think Wheeler has a good point, based on market and industry trends. Unfortunately, M$, Google, Apple et al have the IT space so well dumbed-down now there no longer exists (from a desktop perspective - whoever THEY are) much interest in graduating to high-level computing - you know the type where people can read code and understand how electrons get from one place to another. The last 30 years was a different environment where learning how the computing actually worked and engineering it were more important issues for more people as the industry developed. I sometimes wonder where the next generation of IT administrators and systems engineers are going to come from.

Personally, I am not experiencing problems related to any of the issues on the Linux problem list. But 99.99999999% of computer users are not like me.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.
acewiza

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-02-04 14:55

acewiza wrote:Personally, I am not experiencing problems related to any of the issues on the Linux problem list. But 99.99999999% of computer users are not like me.

I don't have any problems either. Lack of proper hardware accel in browsers, professional programs or majority of AAA games won't stop me from using my laptop the best way I know how, even more so when I know it all will come eventually.
Interesting related discussion on Resetera:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/micros ... %99.20985/
Frequent mentions of switching to Linux.
Wheelerof4te

Next

Return to General Discussion