Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Year of the Linux Desktop is near

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Wheelerof4te

Re: Year of the Linux Desktop is near

#61 Post by Wheelerof4te »

New open-sourced MS MSIX installer to bring win32 and UWP programs to other platforms
“The MSIX Packaging SDK project is an effort to enable developers on a variety of platforms to pack and unpack packages for the purposes of distribution from either the Microsoft Store, or their own content distribution networks,” Microsoft explains.
Maybe I'm buying too much into this, or missreading something. From the looks of it, they want more programs to be available in MS Store. This is essentially MS version of snap/flatpak app container. Plus, it's open-source.
What I'm not sure is if this could be used to bring existing win32 and other programs previously only available for Windows to Linux and Mac (even Android maybe).
As someone said, Windows is becoming more and more like Linux and ironically may be what some people wanted Linux to be on the Desktop.

Again, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions. It's too soon to tell.

debiman

Re: Year of the Linux Desktop is near...on Windows

#62 Post by debiman »

please help me understand:
did debian developers contribute or help to make debian available on this windows platform WSL?
isn't it just some sort of virtualisation platform?

anyhow, if it's GPL'd, and as long as Windows adhere to the GPL when they redistribute debian, what can you do about it? nothing but complain?

Lysander wrote:Look at this magazine cover - does it not make you feel a little uncomfortable?
yes it does. 3 reasons:
a) it's ugly
b) it's silly
c) i had to enable javascript to even see it. here's a direct link.

PS:
definitely an upside if we can push kali-wannabe-mrrobots to windows forums :D

n_hologram

#63 Post by n_hologram »

Wheelerof4te wrote:As someone said, Windows is becoming more and more like Linux and ironically may be what some people wanted Linux to be on the Desktop.
A back-to-Windows migration sounds like a win-win for everyone.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

GarryRicketson

#64 Post by GarryRicketson »

To me , it seems in reverse:
As someone said, Windows is becoming more and more like Linux
Linux is becoming more and more like Windows, to me that is sad, but of course the others, "some people" are very happy with it.
I am happy there are other options .

Bulkley

#65 Post by Bulkley »

GarryRicketson wrote:Linux is becoming more and more like Windows, to me that is sad, but of course the others, "some people" are very happy with it. I am happy there are other options .
+1. I think a lot of what is driving it has to do with technical changes like phones and tablets. Fortunately, Linux still has options. We don't have to use slick desktops if we don't want to.

While I am not a programmer and not well trained in computerese, I still like to configure programs to do what I need. That means opening config files and editing which most Linux programs allow.

mike acker

#66 Post by mike acker »

Windows is born of marketing while Linux is born of a love for technology. The differences are in memory management, file structure, API, and the philosophy of the kernel. Remember the Tannenbaum/Torvalds debate?

The Graphical User Interface is derived from the X-Window research done at PARC.

I really think the fundamental difference between MSFT/Windows and Linux lies in this original motivation that drives development. At least "IMHO" Linux will continue to evolve as a technical masterpiece: "Never compromise what's Right".

---

Further Reading
The X Window System: A Brief Introduction
Viva la Resistencia