Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Year of the Linux Desktop is near

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Wheelerof4te

Year of the Linux Desktop is near

#1 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Microsoft to make Windows 10 S default. Thank you, Satya Nadella

Microsoft is going to make Windows 10 S default on it's future shipped devices. This decision is likely in the light of a new strategy to push UWP style apps to it's consumers. A lot of people are not ready for this, and they could look for alternatives. It is time to make Linux a valid replacement for Windows. We won't get a better chance than this.
Last edited by Wheelerof4te on 2018-02-04 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

dcihon

Re: Year of the Linux Desktop is near

#2 Post by dcihon »

This might help clarify a little about your Windows 10 Choices you will have:
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... s-10-s-faq

In my opinion most consumers will just use what people hand them. They don't care about the OS just as long as they can run their apps.
So if you go buy a new PC and it has whatever version of OS on it you will buy the app that is for that PC. Kind of like buying a car. You buy a Ford and then you buy ford parts for it.

That's my 2 cents.

pawRoot

#3 Post by pawRoot »

Wheelerof4te wrote:We won't get a better chance than this.
who is we ?

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#4 Post by steve_v »

pawRoot wrote:who is we ?
Count me out, linux doesn't need a bunch of windoze refugees, or to win some fictitious "desktop" competition.
Besides, we've heard this "year of the linux desktop" before. Didn't happen then, won't happen now.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

pawRoot

#5 Post by pawRoot »

steve_v wrote:
pawRoot wrote:who is we ?
Count me out, linux doesn't need a bunch of windoze refugees, or to win some fictitious "desktop" competition.
Besides, we've heard this "year of the linux desktop" before. Didn't happen then, won't happen now.
Exactly, i can't take "year of linux" seriously anymore, i thought people use it as meme only nowadays ?

dcihon

#6 Post by dcihon »

Count me out, linux doesn't need a bunch of windoze refugees,
Where will the Linux users come from then. I wonder how many people here are Windoze refugees. I know I am one. So you don't want me here? Just joking.

Wheelerof4te

#7 Post by Wheelerof4te »

dcihon wrote:In my opinion most consumers will just use what people hand them.
A lot of students will need professional software for their projects. That software can be only installed outside of Microsoft Store right now. Most of it is just pirated anyway via custom-made installers that won't work in W10 S. Not to mention how hard will it be to package that software to W10 S, as opposed to new packaging formats for Linux (snaps, flatpak).

As for those who don't want Linux to succeed on the Desktop market, or don't find themselves members of the open-source collective (that's what "we" stands for), kindly avoid this thread.

pawRoot

#8 Post by pawRoot »

Wheelerof4te wrote:
dcihon wrote:As for those who don't want Linux to succeed on the Desktop market, or don't find themselves members of the open-source collective (that's what "we" stands for), kindly avoid this thread.
1. Open source has nothing to do with wanting Linux to succedd on Desktop or not.
2. What did you do to "to make Linux a valid replacement for Windows."

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Here's a TODO list for those who do want to capture the idiot market from Microsoft:

https://itvision.altervista.org/why.lin ... rrent.html

:mrgreen:
deadbang

Wheelerof4te

#10 Post by Wheelerof4te »

^Every time I open that page, each time I see more stuff in green. It's coming along nicely, things are slowly getting fixed.
pawRoot wrote:2. What did you do to "to make Linux a valid replacement for Windows."
Helped a lot of users install, fix and run Debian on this very forum. Advocated for and endorsed many major changes being made to push Linux to more users. I also have a few plans for the future regarding open-source projects of my own.

pawRoot

#11 Post by pawRoot »

And has any changes been made thanks to you ?

dcihon

#12 Post by dcihon »

I have tried to help people move to linux by putting linux on their old laptops that had Windows XP on them. Some of them are still using it some have bought new computers and went back to Windows.
I have tried to put people on libreoffice but it seems people can't learn new things and would rather pay Microsoft than to learn something new.

pawRoot

#13 Post by pawRoot »

dcihon wrote:I have tried to put people on libreoffice but it seems people can't learn new things and would rather pay Microsoft than to learn something new.
Dunno about them but Libreoffice is good only for home use imo, i have heard from many people who run companies etc. that it doesn't load properly more complicated files.

acewiza

#14 Post by acewiza »

Linux and the Linux community (My version of the loosely defined "we") vis-a-vi Windows and Microsoft is not a good bunch of related stuff to compare, IMHO. HOS's linked Linux problem article is an interesting exercise in outlining the issues, but not really relevant when the user bases are actually multiple different groups of people. There are basically 4 divisions, with crossover in the boundaries: home, office, low level and high level users. I've been out of the workplace for a couple of years now, but IIRC, the high-level home users are probably the biggest singularly identifiable bunch of Linux users. They are scattered amongst everyone else, typically with membership in more than one group if they work anywhere in commercial industry.

I think Wheeler has a good point, based on market and industry trends. Unfortunately, M$, Google, Apple et al have the IT space so well dumbed-down now there no longer exists (from a desktop perspective - whoever THEY are) much interest in graduating to high-level computing - you know the type where people can read code and understand how electrons get from one place to another. The last 30 years was a different environment where learning how the computing actually worked and engineering it were more important issues for more people as the industry developed. I sometimes wonder where the next generation of IT administrators and systems engineers are going to come from.

Personally, I am not experiencing problems related to any of the issues on the Linux problem list. But 99.99999999% of computer users are not like me.
Nobody would ever ask questions If everyone possessed encyclopedic knowledge of the man pages.

Wheelerof4te

#15 Post by Wheelerof4te »

acewiza wrote:Personally, I am not experiencing problems related to any of the issues on the Linux problem list. But 99.99999999% of computer users are not like me.
I don't have any problems either. Lack of proper hardware accel in browsers, professional programs or majority of AAA games won't stop me from using my laptop the best way I know how, even more so when I know it all will come eventually.
Interesting related discussion on Resetera:
https://www.resetera.com/threads/micros ... %99.20985/
Frequent mentions of switching to Linux.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#16 Post by steve_v »

dcihon wrote:Where will the Linux users come from then.
Preferably from those with enough curiosity to seek out alternative operating systems themselves, and enough knowledge and/or willingness to learn that they don't expect a windoze clone. No need for this "push more users to linux" malarkey, the best will come of their own accord. The click-and-droolers can keep windows.
Once is happenstance. Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action. Four times is Official GNOME Policy.

dcihon

#17 Post by dcihon »

Most people I talk to that are even very knowledgeable when it comes to computers have never even heard of Linux.
They would say what is Linux? Then let them try to spell it.
They may have heard of Ubuntu but don't even know that it is Linux.

dotlj

#18 Post by dotlj »

I don't think so. The year of the Linux Desktop will be a year when you walk into any computer retailer and see computers running Linux, macOS and Windows. Currently most retailers push Windows or macOS, or both.
The OP referred to Windows 10 S and Windows 10 Pro. All that is about is a crippled version of Windows which encourages people to pay more money for an upgrade to the so called Pro version. Of course, had they wiped Windows 10 S and installed Debian, they would have a Pro OS for no extra cost.

In many ways Linux has been running nicely on Desktops and Laptops for years, it is only that Microsoft is able to exert pressure on manufacturers like Dell, HP and all of the others to put a recommendation for Windows and to offer most of their hardware with WIndows as the only option. The year of the Linux Desktop will be when more manufacturers promote Linux as a real alternative. The only problem is the huge variety of distros and support for each distro. They could promote one of the enterprize versions but that is unlikely. The easy way out for most retailers is to stay with Windows and macOS with support provided by M$ and Apple.

steve_v
df -h | grep > 20TiB
df -h | grep > 20TiB

#19 Post by steve_v »

dotlj wrote:In many ways Linux has been running nicely on Desktops and Laptops for years
My sole desktop since 1999. Though actually owning a laptop came later.
As you say, it's not that it doesn't work, but that OEMs preinstall a commercial OS that limits exposure. I don't mind that, and I don't see a viable way to change it either.
IME, businesses doesn't like products that they have no control over, and especially those that say "GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY" on login. They like people to yell at when things go sideways, as they have customers to appease.
Standardising Linux won't change that, as much as redhat wants it to, it'll just make it more boring.

If Linux came preinstalled on the majority of store-bought machines, forums like this would be inundated with idiots and entitled brats who expect service "because they paid for it", and the average user skill level (and corresponding quality of information) would plummet. I quite like that installing over windows provides a barrier to entry, as it were. Makes people a little more committed.
One could start paid support services, but hey, there goes the community.

golinux

#20 Post by golinux »

Now thanks to systemd, gnome, flatpack etc., the new refugees can move from Windows to Winlin and feel right at home. Why does anyone who understands Linux think this is a good thing?
May the FORK be with you!