Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Debian 9 - NetworkManager show wifi list but not working

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
n_hologram

Re: Debian 9 - NetworkManager show wifi list but not working

#21 Post by n_hologram »

Thorny wrote:
n_hologram wrote:... This is probably outside my expertise,
n_hologram I don't think it is, trust your tests.
I'm an old guy and I won't be here much longer, it is to everyone's benefit that you become adept because you put in the effort to help.
I meant that I don't use NetworkManager or systemd, so it would be blind-leading-blind in terms of specific software or gui help. Comparing the output of lspci (no wireless devices) and lsusb (sees the ralink device) seems rather confusing, but I guess it signifies that s/he has removed the intel card already? Also, the network card is on the list in the WiFi/rt73 page, verbatim from the lsusb output, so that's a good sign.

Based on my own (quick) readings of predictable network interfaces, it seems like a clue could be embedded in the interface name (wlx000ee8d4194e): that is, if I'm reading this correctly, the MAC address might be 00:03:e8:d4:19:4e. If that's the case, and you can find the mac of the Ralink dongle (they're sometimes written on the physical device itself), you can at least determine if the card is the one that's showing up.

know that some network managers (like wicd) require you to specify your network device in their settings; my guess is that you want to make sure
wlx000ee8d4194e is configured properly in NetworkManager, because you switched from an intel wireless card, which would have had a different "predictable network interface" name -- in other words, NM might still be trying to look for wlxi[intel mac address], and if my prediction earlier based on the lspci output (that you removed the intel card) is correct, then NM is looking for a nonexistent device.

However, if you've done all that and NM doens't work out, I would also advise following Bulkley's suggestion to try another network manager, whether it be wicd, wpa_supplicant, or network/interfaces. (You're welcome to try out my awful networking script, too!)

Also, Thorny: stick around as long as you can :)
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

andrea96

#22 Post by andrea96 »

n_hologram wrote:Bulkley, did you see the original post? It included some bizarre names for common interfaces. Also, the op has, if I followed correctly, two wireless interfaces: internal and USB. The link you posted seems excellent if there is only one interface.
Yes, as you said I have two interfaces: internal and USB.
Bulkley wrote:Any possibility that the two interfaces are confusing Network Manager?
That's what I thought too.
Thorny wrote:Those are called "Predictable Interface Names", the new and modern way systemd enumerates interfaces.
In fact, I had read something like that, but I didn't think it could be a problem for network manager.
Thorny wrote:I like Bulkley's suggestion to look at the Wiki, How to use, and/or using the install that includes firmware
Thanks, I will follow the his suggestion.
n_hologram wrote:However, if you've done all that and NM doens't work out, I would also advise following Bulkley's suggestion to try another network manager, whether it be wicd, wpa_supplicant, or network/interfaces. (You're welcome to try out my awful networking script, too!
Probably, if I can't solve the problem, in the next days I will try wicd as network manager.

Anyway, I will read again all the answers in the next days and I will try to solve the problem, I thank all of you to try to help me, and I'm sorry for my inaccuracies in the original post.

Bulkley

#23 Post by Bulkley »

Just a precaution: wicd and network-manager fight each other. You can use one or the other but not both. It is possible to disable one while using the other but most of us remove the one we won't use.

Wpa-supplicant is the program that actually connects wifi. Programs like wicd and network-manager are GUIs that configure Wpa-supplicant. They are convenience tools and very handy for laptops that move around. For desktops that don't move and only need one connection it is easier to use Wpa-supplicant wich is configured in /etc/network/interfaces.

andrea96, I don't mean to drive you away but if you find that this is more trouble than it's worth, take a look at MX Linux. I put MX on a laptop a few weeks ago and everything worked out of the box. Network-manager found my Wifi and all it needed was the password.