Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Make My OS Based On Debian?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
RT77

Make My OS Based On Debian?

#1 Post by RT77 »

Hello I am looking into making my own OS based on Debian, I am not a programmer but do have a bunch of my own ideas about what I would like to do with this project. Hoping to start here and see if I can get some help and advice on starting out with this project. I am looking to use the smallest debian package possible and try to cut down/uninstall things that I will not need/use as one of the first goals, then to modify the look of the menus and desktop environment, basically I will want to develop my own desktop environment, this will probably be difficult as I am not a programmer so I will be making my own development website for all of this and trying to get interested programmers involved. Also I will want to change the way it does certain things, like how it will install software packages. The goal is to make my own OS that will be able to do regular stuff like internet browsing, text editing, audio recording, video editing, etc.. but also be able to have it kind of act like Kodi in that it can be used as an entertainment center.

This post is very general right now I realize.. but just hoping to get some advice on how I could or should start this process..

Thanks

n_hologram

Re: Make My OS Based On Debian?

#2 Post by n_hologram »

Describe your ideal operating system.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

n_hologram

#4 Post by n_hologram »

Lysander wrote:You'll never better Rebecca Black OS.
lmfao
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

RT77

#5 Post by RT77 »

n_hologram wrote:Describe your ideal operating system.
Ideal? Well I have a bunch of ideas that I want to branch out with.. started looking into openbox to customize the look of the themes but I do not know jack about any of this stuff at the moment. Trying to learn and see what my options are as far as customizing the look goes.. I would like to have a look something like windows to be honest I know it's rather cheesy to say but the menu always was so straight forward on that from windows 95 through windows 7. I do not really care for fancy docking like mac and ubuntu and apps on the desktop and such like clock and weather although It is fine if I am able to do that as well just not required.

To be honest I wanted to make my own Linux OS because later down the line I am hoping to make a set top box.. I mean manufactured. But in order to do that I need plans for the software before the hardware.
It should be a lot of things, a gaming machine being one of the main things as well as other media.. video, audio and a fully loaded desktop as well. Be able to switch from PC Mode To Media Center Mode.
Use of gamepad controller to Media Center Mode..

Lots of other thing but that should give an idea for now.

Was also hoping to somehow make it so installing software was more easy like windows as well, where, you just kind of have 1 file and are able to install just with that 1 file. Also if user needs to uninstall the software program they would be able to see it in a list of installed programs like on windows and uninstall from there. From my own user experience with Linux it has been difficult to install software much of the time and to be honest so that would be something I would love to have done. Too many times I tried to install software only to have issues with dependencies and conflicts of file versions. That is a nightmare I would like to get figured out and fix that somehow. i realize many Linux users get scared off by that exact thing, it is just too difficult and time consuming. I hope to crush that issue and make Linux more accessible to people in general. Like I said I am not a programmer just a guy with a lot of ideas who feels inspired.
Last edited by RT77 on 2018-02-27 20:07, edited 1 time in total.

pawRoot

#6 Post by pawRoot »

I think you set yourself too ambitious goal tbh, it's not work for 1 person, and you will probably spend years of nonstop learning to be able to achieve something like that.

RT77

#7 Post by RT77 »

Well I am in this for the long haul and will probably be hiring programmers eventually at some point. Just looking to get learning and try to get some type of direction and plans going on.
Right Yes, it is definitely NOT work for 1 person at all I realize this. There is so much I would want to be done and it could take a very long time. This is a bucket list project but I am still young enough to try to get it done. Always wanted to make/design my own video game console but this would even be a step above that with the OS also there, at least that is my plan at this time. Really into retro video games and honestly always wanted to see 2D games make a comeback, still not sure why they don't really make them much these days. I still love the old 16bit SNES, Sega Genesis and Arcade games. Would like to see 2D games with todays graphics (OpenGL) Also would do 3D games of course but yeah I have so many ideas about what I might want to do. I need to start with the Linux Software first, hardware is another story I can worry about as I keep planning this out. Very ambitious project but that is also why I would like to get people involved. Hope to setup a temporary website and get some people and ideas going on there.

Kind of a Cult Vibe, it's really like a "scene" thing.. kind of like Amiga Scene, The old AOL days with the proggies, the old music tracker scene. I am inspired by stuff like this. Amiga really was ahead of it's time. I never owned one but if you look at some of the old youtube videos on it that thing was awesome for the time. I am kind of trying to achieve what Amiga did back then which was to sort of have a machine that does a bit of everything in a way.. from Music Creating/Recording, Video Games, Music/Video Player, Image Editing, Video Editing.. etc.. Looking to find some people who want to make something that has not really been done yet and have it's own vibe to it.

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#8 Post by sunrat »

You won't need programmers for most of that stuff.
Install a minimal Debian base system, netinstall would be a good start. Install Openbox, Kodi, GIMP, maybe Openshot or Kdenlive for video editing, Ardour or Qtractor for music creation or any of dozens of other alternatives. Sites like LinuxMusicians will help you choose. There are emulators available for many older game consoles. There are dozens of media players.
All of these are available from Debian repositories. It's usually simple and reliable to install software from the repositories. Learn how to use Debian package management. Much easier and safer than Windows way. It's often harder to install software from sources other than the repositories but not impossible.

Also there are several distros available that are dedicated to retro gaming if you want to check out possibilities eg. Recalbox, Lakka, and mGAMe .
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

Head_on_a_Stick

#9 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

RT77 wrote:Too many times I tried to install software only to have issues with dependencies and conflicts of file versions. That is a nightmare I would like to get figured out and fix that somehow.
Just learn how to package stuff for Debian if it isn't already in the repositories:

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?t=38976

http://forums.debian.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=130057

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/maint-guide/
deadbang

debiman

#10 Post by debiman »

RT77, just my 2ct, food for your thoughts, and no disrespect:

before you go on, have a look at http://distrowatch.com/ and see what's already out there. There's 280 Linux distros. Now keep in mind that these are only the distros that went through a long awaiting list & some sort of approval from distrowatch - in other words, that's just the tip of the iceberg. There's many, many more!

In light of that please re-evaluate whether you really need to add one more to the soup.

ccanicete

#11 Post by ccanicete »

RT77 wrote:...I am not a programmer...
:| That's difficult, but quite easier if you have the bucks. Good luck! :)

RT77

#12 Post by RT77 »

sunrat wrote:You won't need programmers for most of that stuff.
Install a minimal Debian base system, netinstall would be a good start. Install Openbox, Kodi, GIMP, maybe Openshot or Kdenlive for video editing, Ardour or Qtractor for music creation or any of dozens of other alternatives. Sites like LinuxMusicians will help you choose. There are emulators available for many older game consoles. There are dozens of media players.
All of these are available from Debian repositories. It's usually simple and reliable to install software from the repositories. Learn how to use Debian package management. Much easier and safer than Windows way. It's often harder to install software from sources other than the repositories but not impossible.

Also there are several distros available that are dedicated to retro gaming if you want to check out possibilities eg. Recalbox, Lakka, and mGAMe .
I agree there is some good stuff already out there and I will definitely want to use a bunch of it for sure but for some other stuff, I may want to think about what can be done in certain cases. Many times I install linux and it just looks like a pieced together train-wreck to me lol.. because of all the different/odd program names.. what the hell is "conky"? lol.. I have to look that up, but I would want to if possible and only in certain cases use the program source code change a few things up and change the name of the program with permission of course. For example if a text editor was KText, KEditor, KTextEditor etc.. I would want to just name it Text Editor and have that as the system default. I would like to "Gel" the default system together and make it look a bit more easy of the eyes if you know what I mean. But yeah I don't really want to reinvent the wheel here either, for example I have seen a distro have it's own version of firefox but I said to myself what is the point of that though? They always update it and that would mean I would need to update it also, at least I should.. if I did that as well. Unless it had some special features or something.. all stuff to think about but the starting point for me is trying to figure the best route to go. The Look Of the desktop, The Installation Process would need to be redone and Branded with new my OS name. Lots to think about..

RT77

#13 Post by RT77 »

ok also was researching last night about selling my OS.. ok so I am kind of confused about this, I really wanted to use Debian as my base system. So I am wondering if it would be legal to Modify it, repackage it as another name and sell it. I mean sell it like Windows or Amiga OS where users would have to Buy the OS and get the software Licensed. What would be the conditions of something like this? I was reading and read that I would have to package it with the source code? Ok but what if I changed some source code and I did not want it open source for that particular program? If I changed a program and made it better or different..?

Can you sell a modified Debian OS and have people pay for Licensing? I am not talking just a debian system that is debian and says debian but actually is modified for the installation process, has my OS name there, new backgrounds, new desktop, totally new look in general and of course a new default setup for the software that might be installed with it.

I realize there might be some issues with proprietary software/drivers.. maybe MP3 or Video drivers? What advice could you give me on those type of issues? I see on some distros it would just let you know that they are non free or proprietary drivers before use.. is that all I would have to do is let the users know about it before installing those?

GarryRicketson

#14 Post by GarryRicketson »

You need to ask a lawyer if you want legal advice. That is beyond the scope of this forum.
Not counting the moral side of it, but it is clear you don't have morals. In a nut shell , you are asking us to help you abuse the work of others , whom work hard to provide a good reliable OS, and free, and open source, you want to take that, butcher it and make it more like your beloved MS windows, and closed source, .... this thread makes me sick.
by RT77 » Many times I install linux and it just looks like a pieced together train-wreck to me lol.

If you don't like Linux, don't use it, If you don't like Debian, then don't use it, and we really don't need more trolls on this forum.
The OP makes me sick. I have nothing nice to say about this so guess that is all from me. Please,

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#15 Post by sunrat »

True you will get little support from the open source side,including this forum, if you want to go commercial.
It has been done - RedHat has RHEL which costs money but they supply full tech support. Their source is used for the free CentOS and Scientific Linux. There is eLive which costs money to install and is little used. The only one I can think of which is moderately successful is PartedMagic which costs something like 5 bucks and is often pirated anyway.
You'll need to read the licences for whatever software you use. Much of the Linux ecosystem is GPL2 or 3, but some is Apache or BSD licensed and a few others.
Honestly I think you're wasting time trying to sell a commercial Linux OS.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

alan stone

#16 Post by alan stone »

RT77 wrote:Can you sell a modified Debian OS and have people pay for Licensing?
Read as: Can you sell a modified Debian OS and pray people pay for Licensing? :shock:

pawRoot

#17 Post by pawRoot »

RT77 wrote:Well I am in this for the long haul and will probably be hiring programmers eventually at some point.
And you will be able to spend for example 15-20k euro monthly for those programmers ? pay for servers, marketing etc.

be serious...

Lysander

#18 Post by Lysander »

RT77 wrote: Right Yes, it is definitely NOT work for 1 person at all I realize this.
Well, that already puts you ahead of Ikey Doherty.

Head_on_a_Stick

#19 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

RT77 wrote:Can you sell a modified Debian OS and have people pay
Yes, the GPL allows you to sell the software but it also allows the people to whom you sell the software the right to copy and distribute it freely to anybody they want :)

You also _must_ supply any and all source code upon request.

For more, see https://www.gnu.org/licenses/
deadbang

Wheelerof4te

#20 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I'll treat this as another "help" thread.

From the sound of it, you are one multi-millionaire who wants to hire a bunch of good programmers, writers, designers, PR people, journalists in order to make your own OS...which would be based on Debian. Either that, or you are trolling everyone here. Either that, or you are just dellusional. So I'm going to assume you are a multi-millionaire.

Basically, what you want to achieve is to be new Mark Shuttleworth, but to go one step further and sell your OS for money. Let me tell you this right from the bat, if Mark hasn't been that ambitious to sell Ubuntu (he even gave the CDs for free back in the day), why would you be? What will your OS contain which isn't already included in Ubuntu or Debian? As for installing software "a la Windows style", we currently have Flatpaks, Snaps and AppImages that try to do exactly that. So take your pick.

Maintaining, not to mention creating from scratch, a distribution the size of Debian is a trumendous task. Entire global community of developers is behind Debian. But if you insist on creating your dream OS, try to start small. Contribute to open-source and learn why it matters. Don't be a prick who steals other people's work.