Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Make My OS Based On Debian?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
alan stone

Re: Make My OS Based On Debian?

#16 Post by alan stone »

RT77 wrote:Can you sell a modified Debian OS and have people pay for Licensing?
Read as: Can you sell a modified Debian OS and pray people pay for Licensing? :shock:

pawRoot

#17 Post by pawRoot »

RT77 wrote:Well I am in this for the long haul and will probably be hiring programmers eventually at some point.
And you will be able to spend for example 15-20k euro monthly for those programmers ? pay for servers, marketing etc.

be serious...

Lysander

#18 Post by Lysander »

RT77 wrote: Right Yes, it is definitely NOT work for 1 person at all I realize this.
Well, that already puts you ahead of Ikey Doherty.

Head_on_a_Stick

#19 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

RT77 wrote:Can you sell a modified Debian OS and have people pay
Yes, the GPL allows you to sell the software but it also allows the people to whom you sell the software the right to copy and distribute it freely to anybody they want :)

You also _must_ supply any and all source code upon request.

For more, see https://www.gnu.org/licenses/
deadbang

Wheelerof4te

#20 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I'll treat this as another "help" thread.

From the sound of it, you are one multi-millionaire who wants to hire a bunch of good programmers, writers, designers, PR people, journalists in order to make your own OS...which would be based on Debian. Either that, or you are trolling everyone here. Either that, or you are just dellusional. So I'm going to assume you are a multi-millionaire.

Basically, what you want to achieve is to be new Mark Shuttleworth, but to go one step further and sell your OS for money. Let me tell you this right from the bat, if Mark hasn't been that ambitious to sell Ubuntu (he even gave the CDs for free back in the day), why would you be? What will your OS contain which isn't already included in Ubuntu or Debian? As for installing software "a la Windows style", we currently have Flatpaks, Snaps and AppImages that try to do exactly that. So take your pick.

Maintaining, not to mention creating from scratch, a distribution the size of Debian is a trumendous task. Entire global community of developers is behind Debian. But if you insist on creating your dream OS, try to start small. Contribute to open-source and learn why it matters. Don't be a prick who steals other people's work.

RT77

#21 Post by RT77 »

GarryRicketson wrote:You need to ask a lawyer if you want legal advice. That is beyond the scope of this forum.
Not counting the moral side of it, but it is clear you don't have morals. In a nut shell , you are asking us to help you abuse the work of others , whom work hard to provide a good reliable OS, and free, and open source, you want to take that, butcher it and make it more like your beloved MS windows, and closed source, .... this thread makes me sick.
by RT77 » Many times I install linux and it just looks like a pieced together train-wreck to me lol.

If you don't like Linux, don't use it, If you don't like Debian, then don't use it, and we really don't need more trolls on this forum.
The OP makes me sick. I have nothing nice to say about this so guess that is all from me. Please,
Hey man calm down, you are assuming these things.. no morals? What the heck? Don't attack me when you have no idea what it is I am trying to do. I have not asked anyone here to help me abuse the rights of others in any way shape of form, you need to relax. I did not say I want to make the whole OS closed source, I said only certain parts for example, If I hire programmers to create a program from scratch, yes I may want that 1 program closed source.. and that is only a maybe. I am not a troll I am a business person who has many ideas and goals in this life. You are the troll coming out to attack someone for no good reason. I love Linux and in fact am trying to make my own Linux OS so I can switch myself and others from Corporations like Microsoft who are greed driven and spy on their users for advertising and profits.

RT77

#22 Post by RT77 »

pawRoot wrote:
RT77 wrote:Well I am in this for the long haul and will probably be hiring programmers eventually at some point.
And you will be able to spend for example 15-20k euro monthly for those programmers ? pay for servers, marketing etc.

be serious...
I am serious and that is my business what I choose to do and how I choose to do it. Not trying to be unfriendly but Gee Wiz..

RT77

#23 Post by RT77 »

Wheelerof4te wrote:I'll treat this as another "help" thread.

From the sound of it, you are one multi-millionaire who wants to hire a bunch of good programmers, writers, designers, PR people, journalists in order to make your own OS...which would be based on Debian. Either that, or you are trolling everyone here. Either that, or you are just dellusional. So I'm going to assume you are a multi-millionaire.

Basically, what you want to achieve is to be new Mark Shuttleworth, but to go one step further and sell your OS for money. Let me tell you this right from the bat, if Mark hasn't been that ambitious to sell Ubuntu (he even gave the CDs for free back in the day), why would you be? What will your OS contain which isn't already included in Ubuntu or Debian? As for installing software "a la Windows style", we currently have Flatpaks, Snaps and AppImages that try to do exactly that. So take your pick.

Maintaining, not to mention creating from scratch, a distribution the size of Debian is a trumendous task. Entire global community of developers is behind Debian. But if you insist on creating your dream OS, try to start small. Contribute to open-source and learn why it matters. Don't be a prick who steals other people's work.
I appreciate the responses, but wow you guys are a hard crowd here, my intention is not to rip anyone off, I am not delusional, many people make their own Linux Distro I just want to make my own as well. Nothing wrong with that right? Can we at least agree on that? Ok Lets say that I don't want to sell it then.. I just want to make a Linux OS my way.. the end. If it comes out really good hey maybe I can ask around and get some permissions from the owners of some programs I would like to have modified. If they say yes and that is ok then what is the problem with that? Nothing, exactly.. I have no intention of ripping anyone off so please relax..
Last edited by RT77 on 2018-02-27 20:04, edited 1 time in total.

RT77

#24 Post by RT77 »

sunrat wrote:True you will get little support from the open source side,including this forum, if you want to go commercial.
It has been done - RedHat has RHEL which costs money but they supply full tech support. Their source is used for the free CentOS and Scientific Linux. There is eLive which costs money to install and is little used. The only one I can think of which is moderately successful is PartedMagic which costs something like 5 bucks and is often pirated anyway.
You'll need to read the licences for whatever software you use. Much of the Linux ecosystem is GPL2 or 3, but some is Apache or BSD licensed and a few others.
Honestly I think you're wasting time trying to sell a commercial Linux OS.
I doubt that I am going to sell it but wanted to ask about it anyway..

pawRoot

#25 Post by pawRoot »

RT77 wrote:
pawRoot wrote:

be serious...
I am serious and that is my business what I choose to do and how I choose to do it. Not trying to be unfriendly but Gee Wiz..
Not trying to be unfriendly but you are living in dreams.
Hey i just got a business idea, i will start manufacturing cars, anyone know how to do it ?

RT77

#26 Post by RT77 »

Without Dreamers the world would be crap, uninspiring..
I don't see what the problem is? I have dreams and goals so what..

RT77

#27 Post by RT77 »

I am not trying to reinvent the wheel here and it has been done a million times by others all I ask is some support or at least to be friendly.

GarryRicketson

#28 Post by GarryRicketson »

Postby RT77 » I just want to make a Linux OS my way.. the end.
That is fine, then "just do it". Talk is cheap, and that is all I see here.
Postby RT77 » all I ask is some support
This is where you are making your mistake, I can't speak for others, but if you want my support or help, then we do it MY WAY, not yours. Or as far as Debian in general, you want to get involved in the development, you work with a group, a group that started way back some time ago, and you do it "our way" (maybe I should say "their way" since I am not really involved in the developement of Debian that much. )
In your first posts, you describe what "your way", is.....
Here you say you will make it like "kodi",
Postby RT77 »Also I will want to change the way it does certain things, like how it will install software packages. The goal is to make my own OS that will be able to do regular stuff like internet browsing, text editing, audio recording, video editing, etc.. but also be able to have it kind of act like Kodi in that it can be used as an entertainment center.
Since I don't need or want a "entertainment center", we do it MY way, not yours, all I need is a good reliable base system I can use for both a work station, and server. Since I all ready have that, why would I want to do it, YOUR way ? It is not worth wasting the time.

And here is where you say "your way" is to make it like MS windows:
Postby RT77>> I would like to have a look something like windows to be honest I know it's rather cheesy to say but the menu always was so straight forward on that from windows 95 through windows 7.
Postby RT77>>I hope to crush that issue and make Linux more accessible to people in general.
Yea right, as if it (Linux) is not all ready accessible to people in general, "Our way", is fine, we have made it available , and accessible to people in general, and for free and as Open source, so yes you are free to modify it , and do what ever you want, to make it the way you want, "your way".

Debian has it's own way, "the Debian way", if you want help and support from Debian, then forget about doing it "your way", get with the program and do it the Debian way , (our way).

In a nut shell, I think, most of the Debian users here like Debian the way it is, all though obviously things all ways can improve, or should, so those that think they can help improve it, get involved with it's development.

RT77

#29 Post by RT77 »

Thanks Garry well it is really not worth arguing over this kind of stuff. I want to start a project therefore it will be done in a certain way or at least try to achieve certain goals for this project. The entertainment part of it. I think I am going to just stick with a solid OS and ditch that idea for now it has been done already with Kodi and others. My ideas are constantly changing.. until things seem to make more sense. I'm not perfect and sometimes a good idea in one moment now becomes a horrible idea, it happens.. No I do not want to make it like windows, what I meant it to come off as was a simple interface, no trendy app bars and widgets. Simple to read menu's.. that is what "like windows" means to me.. simple and not cluttered like today's desktops. Windows 8 comes to mind, what a nightmare that OS is.. Tiles? Whoever though of that I hope was fired. Anyways I am here to make friends not enemies.

stevepusser

#30 Post by stevepusser »

The terms of open source licenses mean that you don't need permission from the original developers to change anything; some like the BSD license mean you can do anything you want without any restrictions, which is how the BSD networking stack ended up as a part of Windows NT. Most licenses (GPL, for example) require that you make your changes available to the public, though.

I'd first think to see if you're reinventing the wheel, though. There are distros out there that are easier for raw beginners than Debian, and I imagine you could set one up with Kodi and a quick launcher setup for your other favorite applications with very little work. XFCE is a simple, easy to use, yet customizable desktop that sounds like what you're wishing for.
MX Linux packager and developer

RT77

#31 Post by RT77 »

If anyone can point me in the direction I would appreciate it. One of the things I would like to do is make my own desktop environment but where do I start with this? I have tried some like Gnome, Mate, Cinnamon, LXDE KDE, etc.. but still hope to customize my own. I have seen openbox and they say it is a window manager not a desktop environment so what else would I need to do to achieve this? Sounds rather complicated, hey I am only human and that is why I'm here to ask questions. I appreciate any help offered. Thanks.

Where do I start with something like creating my own desktop environment? Do I create it while in another Desktop Environment and then switch to the newly created one?
Sorry I am a complete NOOB to all of this so please be kind to this old dude.. :)

RT77

#32 Post by RT77 »

stevepusser wrote:The terms of open source licenses mean that you don't need permission from the original developers to change anything; some like the BSD license mean you can do anything you want without any restrictions, which is how the BSD networking stack ended up as a part of Windows NT. Most licenses (GPL, for example) require that you make your changes available to the public, though.

I'd first think to see if you're reinventing the wheel, though. There are distros out there that are easier for raw beginners than Debian, and I imagine you could set one up with Kodi and a quick launcher setup for your other favorite applications with very little work. XFCE is a simple, easy to use, yet customizable desktop that sounds like what you're wishing for.
Thanks yes I was checking into BSD actually for a hardware project and otherwise, thanks for the info, I did not know BSD was a part of windows NT.. interesting. From what I have read Game Consoles use BSD as well.

debiman

#33 Post by debiman »

what a rant. so much hot air.
i agree with what someone else already wrote: "...so just do it! all i see is cheap talk..."

just someone else who wants to build aeroplanes before even knowing how to hold a screwdriver:
"I'm not a programmer, but I'm a really good designer! I don't care if it falls apart the moment you prod it with one finger - the most important thing is that it looks good when you open it!"

in my own reply, i pointed out the benefit of looking at what is already there - it is very clear op has not done this, or only very superficially, or else many questions would not have been necessary.
reading the GPL & understanding its role in the development & success of gnu/linux would have been the very first thing.

i have copied RT77's posts because it's just such a precious story, which i want to preserve for posterity (see my sig).

selected highlights in order of appearance:
I will want to develop my own desktop environment, this will probably be difficult as I am not a programmer so I will be making my own development website for all of this and trying to get interested programmers involved.
looking into openbox to customize the look of the themes but I do not know jack about any of this stuff at the moment.
this is particularly hilarious because openbox' themerc files are so simple. i wonder what they will do when they get to gtk3...
Was also hoping to somehow make it so installing software was more easy like windows (...) Too many times I tried to install software only to have issues with dependencies and conflicts of file versions. That is a nightmare I would like to get figured out and fix that somehow.
I am in this for the long haul and will probably be hiring programmers eventually at some point.
I am still young enough to try to get it done.
(hilarious!)
Very ambitious project but that is also why I would like to get people involved. Hope to setup a temporary website and get some people and ideas going on there.
Kind of a Cult Vibe, it's really like a "scene" thing.
(...)
Looking to find some people who want to make something that has not really been done yet (!).
Many times I install linux and it just looks like a pieced together train-wreck to me lol.. because of all the different/odd program names.. what the hell is "conky"? lol.. I have to look that up, but I would want to if possible and only in certain cases use the program source code change a few things up and change the name of the program with permission of course. For example if a text editor was KText, KEditor, KTextEditor etc.. I would want to just name it Text Editor and have that as the system default.
now that sounds a lot like ubuntu!
I am not a troll I am a business person who has many ideas and goals in this life.
I am not delusional
Ubuntu sucks and the owner is just another wanna be, I could care less about Ubuntu owned by some rich fool for God knows for what purposes. Ok Lets say that I don't want to sell it then..
(notice the beginning of a 180 degree turn?)
I am not trying to reinvent the wheel here and it has been done a million times by others
erm, isn't that the definition of re-inventing the wheel?
Where do I start with something like creating my own desktop environment?
and so on...

i guess the good thing is that they have realised what it would require to even begin tackling this.
we should be glad for another vanity project that DIDN'T happen.

kedaha

#34 Post by kedaha »

I'd just like to comment.
I help a number of people, especially elderly users, to use Debian without charge. I install, configure and occasionally update the system via ssh. I reckon I could make a few cosmetic changes, call it a distro . Similarly I could make available and charge, for example, for a website and personalized email. Although I don't charge anyone, I see no reason why services like these shouldn't be charged for but any modified free software itself should, in my view, be absolutely free of charge.
I'm not very interested in desktop environments and just stick to Debian mate, which I think doesn't need dressing up as something else and I reckon the same could be said about other desktops. Having said that, while I—rather boringly—use the same old desktop, I do appreciate that Debian and other distributions make it possible to customize the desktop according to one's own tastes. I think the choice of desktop and its customisation should be left to the user.
Finally, If I were to help to develop a Debian-based distro—which I have no interest in doing—I would only do so if it were based on 100% free software, i.e., no proprietary software. It seems to me though that most attempts to make new distros move away from free software to facilitate all the proprietary, binary-only stuff. This is obviously retrograde and contrary to the Debian project.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

Wheelerof4te

#35 Post by Wheelerof4te »

RT77 wrote:I appreciate the responses, but wow you guys are a hard crowd here, my intention is not to rip anyone off, I am not delusional
And my intention was to help you. I didn't say you were delusional, I've written it as a conditional sentence (if you are broke and want to start a new distro without any knowledge, you would be delusional).
RT77 wrote:Ubuntu sucks and the owner is just another wanna be, I could care less about Ubuntu owned by some rich fool for God knows for what purposes.
Wow, didn't think that guy who brought Linux to the Desktop is "just another wanna be". That's where we don't agree. Mark may not be golden, but he left some form of legacy. A lot of Debian users come from Ubuntu, myself included.
With that attitude, you won't find many friends out in the open-source world.
Best of luck on your quest.