Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Make My OS Based On Debian?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
RT77

Re: Make My OS Based On Debian?

#46 Post by RT77 »

Looking back on it it was kind of funny really, would you all laugh your asses off if I said I was trolling?.. I know it's kind of hilarious now thinking about it, some dude just comes out of nowhere and wants to build this super custom dream Linux system with references to windows.. lol.. It seems that people with Dreams or Life Goals are always the one to be made fun of.. maybe for lack of understanding or lack of compassion for others OR of course, for being a complete noob asking too many questions without just diving in first to get my hands dirty. I understand.. I have had this happen all throughout my life but I guess hey that is how the story goes for me personally. I now wished I was trolling though, it seems funnier that way. Oh well either way, hope to come back to this memory in years from now and just laugh about it and hopefully be on my somewhat custom Linux system. More educated on Linux and how it operates..

Lysander

#47 Post by Lysander »

RT77 wrote:Looking back on it it was kind of funny really, would you all laugh your asses off if I said I was trolling?.. I know it's kind of hilarious now thinking about it, some dude just comes out of nowhere and wants to build this super custom dream Linux system with references to windows.. lol..
That's absolutely fine, the issue is that you don't speak like someone who has specific, focused, targeted questions drawing from research and experience. Your state of mind is unchannelled. It's not like you've already started and hit a wall, you just haven't done anything. You've come to the forums and asked how to build an OS. That is, objectively, very funny. And ironic.
RT77 wrote:It seems that people with Dreams or Life Goals are always the one to be made fun of
Sometimes people do put others down who expose their dreams, yes. And that can happen because people don't want others to succeed because it will lay bare their own failings. You're right about that. I don't think that's really the case here though, it's more to do with that fact that you don't have much of a foundation of knowledge to work with, or certainly one that you've come here to share. It's a matter of realism and practicality. Your dream of building an OS though - aside from your projected ability - is a good one.
RT77 wrote:fI have had this happen all throughout my life
That should tell you something. Do the work first and then come back with evidence and questions. People will then be more likely to help you than ridicule you.
RT77 wrote:hope to come back to this memory in years from now and just laugh about it and hopefully be on my somewhat custom Linux system. More educated on Linux and how it operates..
I hope that's the case too.
Last edited by Lysander on 2018-02-27 21:00, edited 1 time in total.

GarryRicketson

#48 Post by GarryRicketson »

Well it is true, sometimes "trolls" do not realize that is what they are, and do not realize they are trolling, in a sense we all are trolls to some extent.

RT77

#49 Post by RT77 »

Thanks Lysander, you hit it perfectly.. Yes Thank You, you sound like a good dude and I appreciate your honesty about it. Very True.. I will come back when I actually have something real to talk about sorry about wasting time. I was just kind of trying to make conversation as well though. "I'll Be Back" and Thanks everyone for your responses good or bad. See you all next time.

RT77

#50 Post by RT77 »

GarryRicketson wrote:Well it is true, sometimes "trolls" do not realize that is what they are, and do not realize they are trolling, in a sense we all are trolls to some extent.
Yeah man I agree, it was like accidental trolling you know.. :wink:

HuangLao

#51 Post by HuangLao »

There was nothing accidental about it....

Hey man, how do I go about building one of these myself, i've got a hammer and a screw driver ...
https://home.cern/topics/higgs-boson

sunrat
Administrator
Administrator

#52 Post by sunrat »

You could consider that every person who ever installs Debian makes their own OS based on Debian. Once installed, configurations are changed, themes are changed, packages are installed. It's probable that no two Debian installs on the planet are exactly alike.
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!

GarryRicketson

#53 Post by GarryRicketson »

This might be of interest, seriously if one wants to learn how to create a OS, there are lessons learned here:
https://cacm.acm.org/magazines/2016/3/1 ... x/fulltext

And if one is set on using Linux :
http://www.linuxfromscratch.org/
This is maybe the best way to start, (in my opinion)

stevepusser

#54 Post by stevepusser »

n_hologram wrote:
debiman wrote:
n_hologram wrote:I would hate using your distribution; it sounds like another Windows/Android, and I know too much about the nixes -- through individual research -- to really want an MS parody.
to me it sounds more like...
there's a short list of distros i maybe tried once in a vm, but more often followed threads on forums, where others ran into problems with (un)said distro.
they are usually built up from the wish to create a really slick user interface, but when you use them regularly, they are coming apart at the seems. always reminds me of something like this.
This (especially the picture lol) does remind me of how I felt when I started using Lubuntu 13.xx, when the project ballooned faster than anyone could determine a vision, and left it as a fancy GUI supplemented with awful functionality. Like, they developed this "Lubuntu Configuration" gui and none of the options worked, and I mean literally NONE of them. To its credit, the project's brokenness alone is what broke me into text config files and building a system from scratch (minstall). Maybe there's something redemptive in that...but not for Canonical.
RT77 wrote:I don't go attacking people who know less than I do about a topic
Tbh, it would be a good idea to provide a specific question which shows some research before posting. A lot of your replies that I read were purely speculative, and speculative responses devoid of research is a sign of trolling here. I would try to forgive the people who see, in your posts, a pattern that signifies someone chortling amusedly behind a computer screen. Honestly, there was a point at which I thought you were not a troll, but a sophisticated bot.
They really released Lubuntu with major parts of it broken like that? I guess a hard release schedule is a lousy idea.
MX Linux packager and developer

n_hologram

#55 Post by n_hologram »

Yeah, they did. It was pretty clear that Unity, and unity-fying (Unifying?) their other distros, was a huge push without real testing. Until that point, Lubuntu was just a cosmetically-modified LXDE, but 13.04 or -.10 was their first serious push to making Lubuntu a gui-centric os. It was bad. I think things stabilized after their move to lxqt, though.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

n_hologram

#56 Post by n_hologram »

RT77 wrote:
GarryRicketson wrote:Well it is true, sometimes "trolls" do not realize that is what they are, and do not realize they are trolling, in a sense we all are trolls to some extent.
Yeah man I agree, it was like accidental trolling you know.. :wink:
>accidental trolling
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing

Funkygoby

#57 Post by Funkygoby »

GarryRicketson wrote:[...] in a sense we all are trolls to some extent.
This is signature worthy :)

@ OP
Your idea is fine. Make the best linux distro ever. But you missed an important step: check what has already been done and why it fails.
You should do some distro hopping through distrowatch. After months/years, you will discover that a lot of "popular" distros are just a poor paint job over Debian while the insides of the system isn't very well lubed (Linux Mint!!!)

What you offer (default packages installation + new theme + desktop background) is exactly what we (Debian user) are accomplishing on our Debian. It can be done through a simple shell script ... Maybe you should have a look at Debian Blend instead ?

There is credit to be taken in the creation of a theme + background but does it justify a new distro ?
Keep in mind that you then need to maintain your distro, push updates , version, track packages, have your own servers? repository?, forums?
Being the guy that created the cool distro of the week is appealing to some but please ...

So you want to make things better for non-technical people? How about contributing the Debian Wiki? Crafting simple tools instead of a full distro ?

alan stone

#58 Post by alan stone »

alan stone wrote:
RT77 wrote:Can you sell a modified Debian OS and have people pay for Licensing?
Read as: Can you sell a modified Debian OS and pray people pay for Licensing? :shock:
RT77 wrote:Well I am in this for the long haul...
RT77 wrote:I am serious and that is my business what I choose to do and how I choose to do it.
RT77 wrote:If anyone can point me in the direction I would appreciate it.... what else would I need to do to achieve this?
Where do I start...
RT77 wrote:It seems that people with Dreams or Life Goals are always the one to be made fun of.. maybe for lack of understanding or lack of compassion for others...
Why I wrote what I wrote and am still wondering how serious and for the long haul you are into this to achieve one of your Dreams or Life Goals, how understanding and compassionate you are with yourself to begin with.

Because where to start is here: 5 Things You Must Do to Successfully Launch a Business (#1 is a YUUUGE one !)

RT77

#59 Post by RT77 »

Why I wrote what I wrote and am still wondering how serious and for the long haul you are into this to achieve one of your Dreams or Life Goals, how understanding and compassionate you are with yourself to begin with.
Well Alan Stone, I feel pretty understanding and compassionate with myself so I am not sure why you are questioning this or care for that matter.

alan stone

#60 Post by alan stone »

RT77 wrote:
Well Alan Stone, I feel pretty understanding and compassionate with myself so I am not sure why you are questioning this or care for that matter.
Because I'm understanding and compassionate with you. :wink:

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#61 Post by None1975 »

RT77 wrote:Well Alan Stone, I feel pretty understanding and compassionate with myself so I am not sure why you are questioning this or care for that matter.
Make My OS Based On Debian?
Stop talking and start doing.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

stevepusser

#62 Post by stevepusser »

To get to your first post, for starters, you should more clearly define your goals, then use those to attract those that can help you do what you can't. A knowledgeable person could do your project easily solo, too, as many have already done.

And you'll have to convince your helpers that you're not reinventing the wheel. What's going to set your project apart from Mint, Solus, SolydXK, Sparky, MX, and umpteen other easy-to-use distros that are also attractive?
MX Linux packager and developer

debiman

#63 Post by debiman »

another 180 degree turn... this person is scary.

First:
RT77 wrote:Thanks guys for all the personal attacks, very classy.. (...) Unreal how people treat each other these days.. Honestly, learn some manners.. Yes it's the internet but people are still human and have feelings. Calling me a fat troll is not cool my friend and I don't appreciate it. (...) I may be a Noob but at least I don't go attacking people who know less than I do about a topic, that is just immature.
Then:
RT77 wrote:I will come back when I actually have something real to talk about sorry about wasting time. I was just kind of trying to make conversation as well though. "I'll Be Back" and Thanks everyone for your responses good or bad. See you all next time.

n_hologram

#64 Post by n_hologram »

debiman wrote:another 180 degree turn... this person is scary.

First:
RT77 wrote:Thanks guys for all the personal attacks, very classy.. (...) Unreal how people treat each other these days.. Honestly, learn some manners.. Yes it's the internet but people are still human and have feelings. Calling me a fat troll is not cool my friend and I don't appreciate it. (...) I may be a Noob but at least I don't go attacking people who know less than I do about a topic, that is just immature.
Then:
RT77 wrote:I will come back when I actually have something real to talk about sorry about wasting time. I was just kind of trying to make conversation as well though. "I'll Be Back" and Thanks everyone for your responses good or bad. See you all next time.
>"accidental trolling"