Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

firmware: where is b43/ucode15 ???

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
datcam

firmware: where is b43/ucode15 ???

#1 Post by datcam »

I am installing Debian 9.3.0 on an HP mini 110, and it asks me for firmware files: b43/ucode15.fw, and b43-open/ucode15.fw in order to activate my Broadcom card and connect to the Internet. The only other computer I have to work with runs Windows, so I have to work with .zip files. So I downloaded what should be the correct firmware.zip file, from the Stretch folder; I unpacked it in Windows, into a folder named firmware on a USB stick. Normally, from what I understand, this should be the correct procedure. Yet, the Debian installer keeps asking me for the same two files just as if I hadn't done anything. Incidentally, the .iso file I am using to install Debian is the one with the firmware included, but that doesn't change anything either. I suppose these files could eventually be found elsewhere if I had a Linux machine at my disposal, for ex. in b43installer which I have read about, but I cannot do anything with those files. To the best of my knowledge, the firmware.zip is the only source I can unpack in Windows, and it doesn't work. So basically, I am stuck, here, and you guys are my only hope. Am I doing something wrong? Does anybody have another lead that I could follow?

bw123

Re: firmware: where is b43/ucode15 ???

#2 Post by bw123 »

There was a long thread on this within the last few months, so try the forum search. I think the best way to get them is use a live-cd (with an active internet connection) and run the firmware-b43-installer, and then copy them but there are probably other ways to do it.

You will need three files: lp0bsinitvals15.fw, lp0initvals15.fw, and the ucode15.fw they are not located in any debian package that I am aware of. They have licenses that restrict them from being packaged/distributed like the other non-free firmware.

https://wiki.debian.org/bcm43xx#b43_and_b43legacy

Firmware is not packaged by the Debian Project. It must be downloaded and extracted, which can be performed by the firmware-b43-installer, firmware-b43legacy-installer or firmware-b43-lpphy-installer packages during their installation. An Internet connection is required.
resigned by AI ChatGPT

datcam

#3 Post by datcam »

Thank you for your reply. I will check that out.

datcam

#4 Post by datcam »

OK. I have checked a few things out. I am going to attempt an fwcutter procedure. I have located a bunch of files on a download site (http://mirror2.openwrt.org/sources/) whose names all start with the word Broadcom. They're all supposed to be drivers for some Broadcom card. Right now, I have downloaded all of them, because I have no clue which one of those drivers apply to my card, which is:
Broadcom 4312 802.11/b/g/n WLAN module. I have also posted this in the hardware section. So if anybody has this kind of specific knowledge, that would be very helpful.

Dai_trying

#5 Post by Dai_trying »

I have a system with the same chipset and simply installed firmware-b43-installer and after a reboot it worked fine for me.

bw123

#6 Post by bw123 »

One reason you should follow the debian wiki is because there are some irregularities in the way the broadcom devices are named and you want to make sure your device is supported before going to a lot of trouble. You should have identified the device ID as it is the first part of the advice on the page.

You said you have "Broadcom 4312 802.11/b/g/n WLAN module"
but the 4312 is a b/g device only. see https://wireless.wiki.kernel.org/en/use ... ed_devices

Another reason to follow the wiki is because the b43-fwcutter runs automatically after you install the firmware-b43-installer and the first package downloads the correct file by itself and tells the fwcutter what to do. If you try and rip some other files from somewhere else, they may or may not be compatible with the b43 kernel driver, it's a lot of work that may not pay off.

p.s. please don't crosspost topics. I know this seems like an emergency, but if you search the forum for "fwcutter" broadcom+firmware for instance you will find a lot of people have been through it.
resigned by AI ChatGPT