Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

I love Debian Stable

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
jmgibson1981

I love Debian Stable

#1 Post by jmgibson1981 »

I've been around the block. Tried it all I think. Always roll back to Debian. Running Plasma currently on stretch. Not an error or problem to speak of. Everything else I've tried, even the *buntu's pitch a fit. Runs great on the server but gui desktop, all hell breaks loose every time I try it. Thank you to the Debian team. Started on it, bounced around, now been back on it a good long while. Gave up trying others, just can't get the same experience.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: I love Debian Stable

#2 Post by cds60601 »

Double thumbs up on this one!!!

Been there myself - in fact, I just re-wiped a spare system I had that was running CentOS7. If I had to run something other than
Debian for my workstation, I could be CentOS7 (albeit, it seemed a bit sluggish and bloated).

But I agree, your story mirrors mine also :)

Cheers
Chris
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

jmgibson1981

#3 Post by jmgibson1981 »

Debian saves the day again. Wanted a print server. Random failures on my ubuntu server. Fired up a debian lxd container. Worked first time. How i manage without a pure debian environment i will never know.

mike acker

#4 Post by mike acker »

yep

I've been running Debian 9.3 and now 9.4 since the beginning of the year. I'm happy; no reason to check the other side of the fence.
Viva la Resistencia

kingocounty

#5 Post by kingocounty »

Another Debian fan here. I've been a Linux admin for a few years but have only recently gone full-time to Debian for desktop. I really appreciate the Debian philosophy and also this forum and the fine folks who contribute their time and knowledge!

mooreted

#6 Post by mooreted »

I saw yet another post the other day claiming that Debian Stable is best for servers. It works great on my desktop and I don't have to worry about an update killing my system. I don't know why people think they always need bleeding edge software to run a computer. I would much rather have a computer that never breaks.

ticojohn

#7 Post by ticojohn »

mooreted wrote:I don't know why people think they always need bleeding edge software to run a computer. I would much rather have a computer that never breaks.
+1
I've been running Stretch since 4 months before it became stable. Had just bought an Intel NUC to use as a HTPC. Tried to install and run Jessie but no luck so I installed Ubuntu. What a JOKE. It worked but I really hated Ubuntu. So I downloaded and installed Stretch. Did have to install firmware but what a thrill when I got it working. Been running Stretch now for about 2 years and have not had any problems. Kudos to the Debian Team.
I am not irrational, I'm just quantum probabilistic.

rivenathos

#8 Post by rivenathos »

I am yet another one to agree on loving Debian Stable. I have been running Debian since 4.0 (Etch). Everything always works with no surprises.
Running Debian on Dell: OptiPlex 3010, OptiPlex 7010, OptiPlex 9010, and Inspiron 1545.
Linux User #461545
Savannah, Georgia, USA

n_hologram

#9 Post by n_hologram »

ticojohn wrote:
mooreted wrote:I don't know why people think they always need bleeding edge software to run a computer. I would much rather have a computer that never breaks.
...Tried to install and run Jessie but no luck...Been running Stretch now for about 2 years and have not had any problems...
That's strange to me. I've only ever had opposite results with stable/testing.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...