[SOLVED]Making Debian more user-friendly

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Re: Making Debian more user-friendly

Postby n_hologram » 2018-04-28 18:15

wheelerof4te wrote:Debian doesn't cater to noobs

Can you mark this thread as "solved"?
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing

the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...
n_hologram

Postby debiman » 2018-04-28 18:44

Wheelerof4te wrote:Nah, too lazy to do that again. And what would you all do without me, anyway? :mrgreen:

oh, we still have bester69, que no?

:D
debiman

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-04-28 18:54

^I thinks it's an honour to be compared to Kami-sama bester /s
n_hologram wrote:

Sure.
Wheelerof4te

Re: [SOLVED]Making Debian more user-friendly

Postby debiman » 2018-04-28 19:02

^ glad you see the humour in it (shoulderclap)! :mrgreen:
debiman

Postby sunrat » 2018-04-29 01:39

n_hologram wrote:

Not until we have a graphical button next to the title to instantly add "solved" to it. :lol:
“ computer users can be divided into 2 categories:
Those who have lost data
...and those who have not lost data YET ”
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby jibberjabber » 2018-04-29 02:23

That would make the forum more user friendly, but is it "The Debian way" ?
N5RLX > "Jibber jabber jibber jabber,all day and all night, jibber jabber jibber jabber"

Then there is Papa Parrot
jibberjabber

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-04-29 12:20

Wheelerof4te wrote:Maybe it's hard for me to understand, I have read Debian's Social Contract and DFSG. I see what it's trying to do, but my perspective is from the user's convenience, not his choice.

I think the piece of the puzzle that you are missing is that Debian is a community distribution: the developers will provide what they think is most important and strive to keep up the quality as best they can and then leave the final polishing to the rest of us :)

For the record MX Linux seems to offer exactly what you want and it is based very closely on Debian stable.
Charlie don't hack
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-04-29 13:00

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:I think the piece of the puzzle that you are missing is that Debian is a community distribution: the developers will provide what they think is most important and strive to keep up the quality as best they can and then leave the final polishing to the rest of us

Yes, everything in Debian comes vanilla, so it's true.
Head_on_a_Stick wrote:For the record MX Linux seems to offer exactly what you want and it is based very closely on Debian stable.

I don't seek something more user-friendly for myself. I can use and modify to my liking plain Debian just fine. This thread was about discussing possible ways of making Debian more user-friendly. With your response, and the fact that Debian isn't designed (by choice) to be as user-friendly as, say Ubuntu, the discussion is closed.
Wheelerof4te

Postby n_hologram » 2018-04-29 14:06

It may be worth checking out the suckless project. One may not change the debian development ecosystem, but offering an addon/package is a reasonable alternative. In time, it may make it into debian mainstream.

It may also be worthwhile to create a list of specific changes you think would benefit newbs and research ways to implement them, or going on newb-oriented communities to poll for new ideas. Data is useful.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing

the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...
n_hologram

Postby bw123 » 2018-04-29 14:36

Debian has been very friendly to me. I like the way it works, especially the policies about non-free, firmware, and not loading the boat with crap I don't want by default (for the most part). I never had to worry about a virus, crazy pkgs adding 5 toolbars to my browsers, or them trying to put small software developers out of business.

I like to set it up about every two years, and pretty much leave it alone, it does fine with that. Gives me a chance to sit back and read threads from the trailblazers who rush into every new fad they can find and then ask for help why it doesn't work.

I never used another linux distro, so I can't compare how friendly they are, but one complaint I have is documentation can always be a little better. There should be a way to completely destroy incorrect/obsolete documentation in the wild...
bw123

Postby Nili » 2018-04-29 14:50

I like non-friendly Debian, the opposite I like NETINST because of DIY ethic. If it didn't give me this opportunity, I would have been somewhere else now.

Don't like Linux or Debian to look like a Windows or OSX clone.
Each to their own even for this case :)
mora.jp (Quality endless bits)
Nili

Postby spacex » 2018-05-01 19:55

There are lots of user-friendly linux distros, included derivatives of Debian, and remixes of Debian. Debian itself, is all about choices and options. For people who customize their own system. For people who want to be in charge themselves. So in my opinion, if anyone asks about user-friendly, then just tell them to go somewhere else, to a distro or OS that strips them of the difficulty in making choices for themselves. People who just want to use some generic thing someone else has made. That's all fine and dandy. But Debian isn't for those who just want something to surf the web with, or to check their social media. They can go elsewhere.
spacex

Postby sunrat » 2018-05-01 21:59

spacex wrote: But Debian isn't for those who just want something to surf the web with, or to check their social media. They can go elsewhere.

I surf the web and check social media. Debian doen't tell me I can't do those things.
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

Postby spacex » 2018-05-01 22:35

sunrat wrote:
spacex wrote: But Debian isn't for those who just want something to surf the web with, or to check their social media. They can go elsewhere.

I surf the web and check social media. Debian doen't tell me I can't do those things.

You know what i mean. I do also surf the web and I do spend quite a bit of time on social media. But if that's all you want to do, and you aren't interested in customizing your own system, or the technical aspect, then there are many other options that are more suitable. A chromebook does that just fine, an android tablet or a windows-pc or a mac/ipad. You can even manage with a smartphone :D And of course lots of friendly linux-alternatives. I'm not against easy, but if every distro went in that direction, most of them would be redundant. There are lots of Debian-derivatives that aims to bring Debian to regular people without technical skills or knowledge.
spacex

Postby sunrat » 2018-05-02 01:26

spacex wrote:
sunrat wrote:

You know what i mean.

Yeah I know what you mean. And you know I know you know what you mean. Just stirring. :mrgreen:
Those who have lost data
Remember to BACKUP!
sunrat

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion