Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

No real problems in Debian Sid...

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Wheelerof4te

Re: No real problems in Debian Sid...

#16 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I ran Sid for about a month and half without major problems. One day, my desktop completely froze 5 mins after booting on 4.16 kernel, Chromium stopped playing Youtube videos and Wayland was having micro-seizures every 10 seconds.

It wasn't fun. It was ugly and frustrating. Stable is the King.

kedaha

Re: No real problems in Debian Sid...

#17 Post by kedaha »

Even running a stable web or email server, where even a miniscule error can throw a spanner in the works, requires considerable administrative efforts especially during initial configuration but, imagine running sid! No real problems? You can bet your life there would be and that the system would break every so often.

It's advisable to run stable for production, i.e., for getting work done. The purpose of sid and testing is not "to get the latest software" but to track development but it's far better in a case of Shiny_New_Stuff_Syndrome to backport the stuff to stable.

Stable is Debian's core distribution and the main reason why folks depend on is it's stability,security and reliability. But each to his own. :wink:
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.