Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Canada language ??

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
cryptoa

Canada language ??

#1 Post by cryptoa »

So i was noticing that a lot of things here in Canada are done in Quebec, for the non Canadians ... Quebec is a province in Canada and the only french speaking place ...

kb = keyboard

--During install--
in the kb set up and after in kb ... maybe kb maps ... .... any way it defaults you to french, most users miss this fact..

now not a big deal for me personally, i seen the issue before it made my passwords wrong ...

anyway that is besides the point, what i want to know is,

Why is that the case and can I do something about that, it would help usability in Canada, seeing that our keyboard is more English than french ...

now i thought that perhaps the reason is, a french person doing the work for the key boards maps ?? and they have otped to defaulted it to french, which i'm sure works for them ... however not for the other 90% of Canada ..

To reiterate ... I am asking -- >> What can i do about the defaulting to french ? or whom should i get a hold of, to help them or whatever??

Thanks

tynman

Re: Canada language ??

#2 Post by tynman »

I didn't know this was a problem, but there is a simple solution: Choose the US keyboard option during installation.

I'm in Canada, but I have always chosen the US keyboard option during OS installs- I believe it is the default, and it never occurred to me there wold even be a "Canadian" keyboard layout (how would it be different from the US layout?).

Bulkley

#3 Post by Bulkley »

tynman wrote:Choose the US keyboard option during installation.
That is what I do. Then I choose Canadian spelling in browsers, word processors, etc.

MoaTib

#4 Post by MoaTib »

It's not a Debian installer defaut setting but an X11 defaut and there is no such thing as a Canadian English keyboard keymap. Have a look at "/usr/share/X11/xkb/symbols/ca" line 465 and you will see that what you think to be a Canadian English keyboard layout, is nothing else than the US English ones(English Canada inherit the US Basic):

Code: Select all

partial alphanumeric_keys
xkb_symbols "eng" {
    include "us(basic)"
    name[Group1] = "English (Canada)";

key <LSGT>  { [ backslash, bar, VoidSymbol, VoidSymbol ] };
};
The only reason for selecting the Canadian keyboard keymap entry in the Debian installer is for those who are speaking French. In Canada, our keyboard layout is French QWERTY while in France and other european French-speaking countries their keyboard layout is French AZERTY.

For the rest of your politically tinted statements, out of a population of about 36 million, we are about 10 million French-speaking Canadians, 7.5 million as our mother tongue and about 8 million who use French as our official language spoken at home. English is the official language spoken at home by about 56% to 58% of Canadians, not 90% as you say.

And Quebec is not the only french speaking place in Canada, period!
apt-get install braindump -t unstable

Stupid changes are not synonymous of useful progress.

cryptoa

#5 Post by cryptoa »

Well, Quebec is one Provence ... and according to census data .... french ... is spoken by about 23 % of Canadians at home .... So that leaves about 80 % that are English so i was close with my 90% ..... and my keyboard ... in English french really .... if i set it as Canadian french all the keys are wrong ... if i set it to usa ... the keys are wrong ... if i set it to french Canada - English only ... it works - 2 keys ... that i dont care about .... however ... i still think ... that the French and English should be visible on the section screen .... it's not a big deal for me, however it dose mess up localization for other programs... one such issue is with IceCat ... it will not compile tells me no localization for Canada .. had to use a VM and use USA to compile it ... this is really why i brought this up here ...

tynman

#6 Post by tynman »

if i set it to usa ... the keys are wrong
Wrong how, eh?

MoaTib

#7 Post by MoaTib »

What make you think that the 77% of non french-speaking Canadians (not about 80% and even less 90%) are speaking and/or using English at home? What about the dozens of native tribes using their own 50 Indigenous languages? What about the millions of Chinese, Vietnamese, Cambodians and other Asian Canadians? What about Italian, Spanish, Russian and Martian?

MoaTib

#8 Post by MoaTib »

cryptoa wrote:it's not a big deal for me, however it dose mess up localization for other programs...
My mixed(pinned) Debian Tesing/Unstable is localized to English Canada and my keyboard to French Canada and I have never, ever encountered any localization problem of any kind since 15 years.
cryptoa wrote:one such issue is with IceCat ... it will not compile tells me no localization for Canada .. had to use a VM and use USA to compile it ... this is really why i brought this up here ...
What does this have anything to do with the keyboard localization setting of your original post?

I have nearly 60 locally compiled programs/libs, hundreds more over the years, and I have never, ever encountered any apps complaining of no localization for Canada, never! And I was the official French translator of a well known browser for about 3 years without any complaints of this kind, while compiling it hundreds of times for testing purposes!

MoaTib

#9 Post by MoaTib »

cryptoa wrote:--During install--
in the kb set up and after in kb ... maybe kb maps ... .... any way it defaults you to french, most users miss this fact..

now not a big deal for me personally, i seen the issue before it made my passwords wrong ...
Since I haven't installed Debian for years (I use testing/unstable as a rolling release), I started the installation CD out of curiosity and during the installation process (graphical and normal), I've chosen English as the installation language, then Canada as the country of residence and at the keyboard configuration step, the installer automatically selected American English, which is the way to go.

To make sure, I restarted the installation process, selected French as the installation language, then Canada and the installer automatically selected Canada French in the keyboard configuration window. In fact, in the keyboard configuration section there is only two choises related to specific keyboard layouts for Canada, Canada French and Canada Multilingual which is a variant of Canada French for what I know. So, what's wrong with Canada French defaulting to Canada French?

cryptoa wrote:anyway that is besides the point, what i want to know is,

Why is that the case and can I do something about that, it would help usability in Canada, seeing that our keyboard is more English than french ...
There is no need to change anything.
cryptoa wrote:now i thought that perhaps the reason is, a french person doing the work for the key boards maps ?? and they have otped to defaulted it to french, which i'm sure works for them ... however not for the other 90% of Canada ..

To reiterate ... I am asking -- >> What can i do about the defaulting to french ? or whom should i get a hold of, to help them or whatever??
To reiterate, there is no need to change anything, except maybe your trollish, intolerant and politically oriented attitude that goes against the forum rules.