Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Microsoft might buy GitHub

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
debiman

Re: Microsoft might buy GitHub

#81 Post by debiman »

None1975 wrote:Okay, maybe we're finishing? I'm picking github and that's just my thing. I do not like the hysteria caused by the acquisition of github when a bunch of unhealthy panic escapes. You just wait and your favorite gitlab will also buy Microsoft ...
you're not answering my question; but nevermind that.
you are also making wrong assumptions about what my "favorites" are. take a closer look at my signature (and read my contributions to this thread).

Syn Gates

#82 Post by Syn Gates »

The acquisition has been completed for just 6 days ago, day after day I believe that Microsoft will leave Google far behind in developing business solutions. Maybe Google should focus on developing ecosystems for Marketing and eCommerce.

debiman

#83 Post by debiman »

Syn Gates wrote:The acquisition has been completed for just 6 days ago, day after day I believe that Microsoft will leave Google far behind in developing business solutions. Maybe Google should focus on developing ecosystems for Marketing and eCommerce.
lol, suddenly microsoft becomes "good" and google "not good enough", in your motivational narrative.
fwiw, my interest in who's got the "better" business is about zero.
if you haven't noticed, we use an operating system free from commercial constraint. all sorts of "free" really.

jarlaxl

#84 Post by jarlaxl »

M$ is a capitalist company, that is for profit rather than merit. Lets see if M$ will continue suing for patents after the next CEO change.
jL Compromises; - one life (?), one moment (?); -one word 10^3 pics -world of words; meanings collapse;
The slave begins by demanding justice and ends by wanting to wear a crown

pawRoot

#85 Post by pawRoot »

And why wouldnt they sue for patents, are they a charity?

Head_on_a_Stick

#86 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

pawRoot wrote:why wouldnt they sue for patents
Hopefully because MS have finally realised that they have been wrong all these years and open source development produces better software than their proprietary methods. But don't hold your breath.
deadbang

pawRoot

#87 Post by pawRoot »

My point is just that if someone breaks patents then it's obvious that they will get sued by patent owners, it's basically free money for them.

llivv

#88 Post by llivv »

more on the git an repo war fronts
herehttps://www.techrepublic.com/article/mi ... m-browser/

did you hear about youtube going down recently? Really!
https://www.techrepublic.com/blog/data- ... -the-ugly/
a little help here mr wizard?
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

kevinthefixer

#89 Post by kevinthefixer »

Net neutrality was our last hope for a sane and productive open-source environment. It's now deep-sixed. We have only commercial solutions to any software needs to look forward to and their quality is rapidly decreasing, along with the average ability to use them. I'm never sure whether the business software my company uses actually lacks certain functions or if there is nobody in the company with the knowledge necessary. I'm talking about basic stuff, like turning an estimate into an invoice!