Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Microsoft might buy GitHub

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
fmp

Re: Microsoft might buy GitHub

#46 Post by fmp »

n_hologram wrote:Speaking of "corporations in my foss," what's up with Google and Gitlab?

https://about.gitlab.com/2018/04/05/gke ... tegration/
This is substantially worse than Microsoft buying Github, in my opinion. Yeah, MS sucks and always has; but they've been giving the (appearance) of not being MS of the 90's, whereas Google IS Microsoft of the 90's, *right now*
Gitlab is also planning an IPO: https://about.gitlab.com/strategy/

Any takers on who's gonna purchase the majority stake once that happens?

I migrated all of my repos to https://notabug.org whose politics better align with FOSS than Github or Gitlab, anyway. It's pretty easy to mirror to Github, too, if you're worried about losing the traffic from Github: http://kirklange.com/how-to/2018/06/06/ ... th-github/

Wheelerof4te

#47 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Is it possible to just store everything in Git? I don't understand the need for GitHub/Lab and the others. Why use them?

fmp

#48 Post by fmp »

Absolutely, but using local git means that's your only copy. If your harddrive takes a dive, you lose your work.

I like using the repository sites because it's a remote backup and gives exposure to the project. Github is also a social media site, so there's that, too.
I also use it as a portfolio for employers. Beats having to spice up an actual site with HTML & CSS, when all you want to show is backend code - why waste time on that.

Head_on_a_Stick

#49 Post by Head_on_a_Stick »

Wheelerof4te wrote:Why use them?
GitHub are kind enough to store all of my work on their computers so that I can access it from anywhere and it also makes contributing to other projects very easy.
deadbang

n_hologram

#50 Post by n_hologram »

bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

debiman

#51 Post by debiman »

fmp wrote:This is substantially worse than Microsoft buying Github, in my opinion. Yeah, MS sucks and always has; but they've been giving the (appearance) of not being MS of the 90's, whereas Google IS Microsoft of the 90's, *right now*
wtf?
unless you substantiate i call this fiction or namedropping with disruptive intent.

this does not reflect on my opinions about gitlab.com, google or microsoft though. see my previous posts.
I migrated all of my repos to https://notabug.org whose politics better align with FOSS than Github or Gitlab, anyway.
thanks for sharing, this looks nice.

PS: what about bitbucket (they have the biggest "migrate from github" button)? another viable alternative, or another Big G / MS slave?

n_hologram

#52 Post by n_hologram »

I only know of Atlassian (company that owns bitbucket) because they donate to NPR. So, they have enough money to be publicly recognized by NPR. Not the same league as MS or the Goog, but there's substantial money nonetheless. Honestly, their projects (like Trello) have always reminded me of a Google-ish approach: free for now, just put your data on our tab.
bester69 wrote:There is nothing to install in linux, from time to time i go to google searching for something fresh to install in linux, but, there is nothing
the crunkbong project: scripts, operating system, the list goes on...

llivv

#53 Post by llivv »

by way of the systemd thread from sept two years ago (see date of post)

this aught to be interesting to watch .....
https://github.com/PureDarwin/
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

fmp

#54 Post by fmp »

debiman wrote:
fmp wrote:This is substantially worse than Microsoft buying Github, in my opinion. Yeah, MS sucks and always has; but they've been giving the (appearance) of not being MS of the 90's, whereas Google IS Microsoft of the 90's, *right now*
wtf?
unless you substantiate i call this fiction or namedropping with disruptive intent.
Here's the most recent example: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... ic-domain/ - Literally trying to patent something a generous developer gifted the world for free.
They also buy out competing/innovate services (another MS tactic): http://techpp.com/2012/09/26/is-google- ... them-down/
Goes without saying all of the ethics violations they currently commit against their users, but due to service lock-in, your average user accepts the abuse in the name of convenience (Stockholm syndrome, in a way).
PS: what about bitbucket (they have the biggest "migrate from github" button)? another viable alternative, or another Big G / MS slave?
Bitbucket is great, too; I use them for private repos & freelance projects. They host on their own servers, so you're free of AWS/Microsoft/Google.

debiman

#55 Post by debiman »

n_hologram wrote:I only know of Atlassian (company that owns bitbucket) because they donate to NPR. So, they have enough money to be publicly recognized by NPR. Not the same league as MS or the Goog, but there's substantial money nonetheless.
ah, thanks, now i remember!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Npr
atlassian was advertising on some radio station i listened to (a totally mainstream, not technology, news radio).
fmp wrote:Here's the most recent example: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... ic-domain/ - Literally trying to patent something a generous developer gifted the world for free.
They also buy out competing/innovate services (another MS tactic): http://techpp.com/2012/09/26/is-google- ... them-down/
ok, google is bad, we knew that.
but how is it a better choice than microsoft?

fmp

#56 Post by fmp »

debiman wrote:
fmp wrote:Here's the most recent example: https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/201 ... ic-domain/ - Literally trying to patent something a generous developer gifted the world for free.
ok, google is bad, we knew that.
but how is it a better choice than microsoft?
You might have misread my post - Microsoft (nowadays) is a better choice than Google/Gitlab.

Ultimately though, if one is fleeing Github on account of Microsoft's past ethics; they shouldn't use Google services at all, either. In that regard, something like notabug.org would be better suited for third-party git hosting.

I am definitely not saying Microsoft aren't being raging turds nowadays, because they are, it's just that Google is in a higher position of power and openly does more bad than good with their power.
They are both pretty awful.

debiman

#57 Post by debiman »

fmp wrote:You might have misread my post - Microsoft (nowadays) is a better choice than Google/Gitlab.
how so?
and no, i didn't misread you, it was just my sloppy phrasing.

Ultimately though, if one is fleeing Github on account of Microsoft's past ethics; they shouldn't use Google services at all, either. In that regard, something like notabug.org would be better suited for third-party git hosting.

I am definitely not saying Microsoft aren't being raging turds nowadays, because they are, it's just that Google is in a higher position of power and openly does more bad than good with their power.
They are both pretty awful.
these things we can agree on.
Last edited by debiman on 2018-06-15 17:40, edited 1 time in total.

Funkygoby

#58 Post by Funkygoby »

Wheelerof4te wrote:Is it possible to just store everything in Git? I don't understand the need for GitHub/Lab and the others. Why use them?
Going public for example.
I made a small android application and wanted to make it accessible from f-droid (FOSS repository for android).
In order to be part of f-droid, your application source code must be accessible for their automated build infrastructure. Basically, a gitlab/hub account with your code. Each time you tag a release, f-droid build process is triggered, your code is fetched and built then your new release is accessible in their repos. neat!
I also received 2 contributions for this little application (japanese and spanish translations) from random dudes.

It could be used as a portfolio to show your skills to employers, maybe?

fmp

#59 Post by fmp »

debiman wrote:
fmp wrote:You might have misread my post - Microsoft (nowadays) is a better choice than Google/Gitlab.
how so?
Google's business = data
Gitlab = Putting your data in Google's hands

Now regarding Microsoft, with Windows 10 I am almost led to believe data has become part of their business, also, but their primary source is & always has been from contracts with lazy/corrupted IT departments around the world & strong arming OEMs.
Google has more incentive to utilize the data you give them maliciously, than Microsoft does.

Wheelerof4te

#60 Post by Wheelerof4te »

fmp wrote: Microsoft (nowadays) is a better choice than Google
Both are embedded with the Inteligence and secret services around the world. They both will (miss)use your data you willingly agree to send them by accepting the EULA and various Privacy policies.
It is only the question of who you trust more. True privacy and freedom comes from using free software, which can be inspected for preventing malicious intents.

debiman

#61 Post by debiman »

yeah, i still don't see how microsoft is in any way better than google, or the other way round.
they're just both evil quasi-monopolistic supercompanies.

llivv

#62 Post by llivv »

once a git is swallowed by active directory it stays in AD, forever.

Does anyone know the difference between subsidised/employee devs and devs that donate their work?
AD does.
http://www.tech-faq.com/active-directory.html

using the mmc snapin to access the ADAM and GPOE admin object consoles
ibm built to keep track of things on that nature.

on a side note: ibm included group policy in windows95
just ask any of the top execs both companies traded with each other during that period
or do your own seach of opk based on image ultra for starters
In memory of Ian Ashley Murdock (1973 - 2015) founder of the Debian project.

bedtime

#63 Post by bedtime »

"Microsoft buys GitHub for $7.5 billion, promises to keep it independent and open."

Link: https://www.pcworld.com/article/3277615 ... llion.html

If they are trying to make make me sad, they are succeeding. :(

Here's what happens:

Microsoft bascially keeps it all the same at the start (first year or so), but slowly—ever so slowly—they change this and that, without bothering to tell anyone. And, almost insensibly, like rust that tarnishs beautiful metal, things turn ugly; but so slowly that nobody notices nor cares to comment about such. The changes will force people to do things the way MS wants them done, and invariably this will inhibit freedom. But they are nice things—shiny things—that people love, so they kinda need to keep using it and adapt.

An example of such?

Here:

It's just like YouTube. YouTube rocked before Google owned it; it had awesome search features and actually showed you the rating of each video without having to click on the link. The ratings system was also better (1-5 stars, as opposed to just 'like' and 'dislike'). But, Google likely found that their system was better for business and that more people would click the links if they didn't know the ratings beforehand...

I remember watching Stephen King movies on YouTube before it was owned by Google. Once Google owned it, they started (oh so slowly) putting more and more ads on those movies. It was almost like some sort of cancer that metastasizes—unknown to its host, slowly working its magic until once day you notice that it has started, it is out of control, and you are stuck with it. This started off with being just one ad. A surprise, yes. But it was just ONE ad. So, whatev's. Then it was 3 ads. Then 5. Then 30+ in a single movie. But, at least you could watch the movie. Then Google decided that it would rent/sell movies on YouTube. After this, searchihng for Stephen King movies brought up only pay versions, and they were at the very top of the search results, somehow. And then, as if by magic, all the Stephen King movies just vanished at once. It was as if they never existed. Was I imagining this? I was sure that... :|

cronoik

#64 Post by cronoik »

Freedom also means that they don't have to keep their service in a way I like it.
bedtime wrote:It's just like YouTube. YouTube rocked before Google owned it
...and especially they were burning money of their investors.
bedtime wrote: I remember watching Stephen King movies on YouTube before it was owned by Google....
This started off with being just one ad. A surprise, yes. But it was just ONE ad.
Have you ever thought about if this one add was raising enough money to pay for the servers and employees of youtube? Or if the right holders of the movie you have enjoyed were getting compensated? When you only pay for a service by watching add's you aren't a customer, you are part of the product and it is therefore up to the owner of the service to decide how much he cares about your needs.
Have a nice day!

debiman

#65 Post by debiman »

bedtime wrote:Here's what happens:...
is this your personal prediction, or something that microsoft/github have actually stated?

if the former, well, no suprises there. haven't we witnessed this process a dozen times or so...
It's just like YouTube. YouTube rocked before Google owned it; ...
you're probably right to say it's gotten worse over time, but youtube never actually rocked. sorry.
the only way i can ever see of using it is parasitical (also no ads that way).

anyhow, i always prefered to get videos on my hard drive first, then watch them.
maybe because for a long time i had extremely poor internet connection.