Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

1 year anniversary.... REALLY impressed...

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
ramblin

1 year anniversary.... REALLY impressed...

#1 Post by ramblin »

Its been 1 year this week since my first Deb install for daily use. I just did my 3rd last week. 9.5, this time on a machine with some real resources. Setup exactly like I want it, no problems during installation or setup. Didn`t even have to ask any questions on the forum this time. And up to this point... No nonfree or contrib ! I`m a believer in Debian and didn`t choose it lightly. It fits my lifestyle best. In my time as a tech I could always get more out of Win XP than most because I went with no frills , clean and lean. And Debian 9 is just that. The preformance on my newest build is just phenomenal. My migration away from Windows is slow but deliberate. I have become too deeply dependent over the years and it must end. The day will come when I am confident enough to put it on my big beast of a machine and I can hardly wait. At this point I would be on the forum 12 hrs a day trying to make everything work. No one here is ready for that. My only question. Does it ever BREAK ? ...... he....he......hee LUV my new build !!

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

Re: 1 year anniversary.... REALLY impressed...

#2 Post by cds60601 »

Outstanding and great story! I understand the feeling about being dependent. For me, that was back in the FreeBSD v5 days. I moved away from Windows back then and then again from FreeBSD to Ubuntu (pre-Unity). I moved away from Ubuntu with the release of 11.04 (I think that's when Unity debuted) for Debian 6.

Been using it on and off since (more on then off - with short stints of Windows 7 and while TechNet lasted). Been using Deb solidly on my laptop for 2 years now and 5 years for my home server since the death of an affordable TechNet from MS. To be honest, I don't miss it! I rarely find the need to ssh into my server. It just runs.

So to not steal away from your post, I wanted to just re-enforce that the choice you are making, is a sound and wise one!
Good luck to you on your further endeavors in Debian-dom

Cheers
Chris
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

kedaha

#3 Post by kedaha »

ramblin wrote:My only question. Does it ever BREAK ? ...... he....he......hee LUV my new build !!
Debian's core distribution, stable, is not known for breaking spontaneously but folks can and do break it, owing to a PEBKAC or, more often, an attack of "shiny new syndrome", but best advice from the wiki is: DontBreakDebian. :wink:
As an afterthought: As a result of some configuration error by the user, the system or part of it, appears broken but it can be remedied; but it can happen that a user or other users know how to solve the problem so one opts for a new install, which, in my opinion, even if you've backed up all your files, ought to be a last resort because a problem solved is knowledge gained.
I think it is a very good question.
DebianStable

Code: Select all

$ vrms

No non-free or contrib packages installed on debian!  rms would be proud.

ramblin

#4 Post by ramblin »

cds60601 wrote: I don't miss it!.... It just runs.
kedaha wrote: because a problem solved is knowledge gained.

2 good quotes. Says it all for me. Thanks guys