Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Making a Debian Buster theme proposal, thoughts/suggests?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
kcin

Making a Debian Buster theme proposal, thoughts/suggests?

#1 Post by kcin »

I'm currently working on a new Buster theme proposal and would like to hear the opinion of the community in what direction to take it.

So far I've made a bunch of vector wallpapers using Inkscape, usually including landscape scenery with some gradients and such. I'm wondering if it is a good idea to create a theme using landscapes, or should I focus on more abstract concepts, like shapes and patterns.

Anyways I just wanted to see what people think, if they like or dislike my current ideas and what I should change. Also from the current 5 wallpapers I have made, which one do you think works better for the overall theme? Any inspirational ideas, images or constructive criticism is also welcome. Thank you.

---------

Also I was wondering about debian logo redesign, good idea to toss in some logo concepts? (But still use the default logo for the wallpaper/theme designs) Doubt it would be used but just for some future ideas? Also thoughts on making a mascot?

---------

Had another idea thanks to the many suggestions.

---------

EDIT2: Thanks for the feedback, please read the rest of the thread if you want to see various designs and such. I've removed the poll as I have made too many things, but appreciate the earlier participation and have noted the results.
Last edited by kcin on 2018-07-31 19:42, edited 5 times in total.

golinux

Re: Making a Debian Buster theme proposal, thoughts/suggests

#2 Post by golinux »

If you have a vision, do your own thing. An artist who caters to public opinion is not.

Any of those would be an improvement over any of the Debian wallpapers I've ever seen. They do look a little mozillaish though . . .
May the FORK be with you!

kcin

#3 Post by kcin »

The problem in some ways is that the theme that is selected is based on a vote, it's difficult to judge which direction people want these days, so it doesn't hurt to ask. All the designs will be available in the end.
mozillaish
Very interesting and I think you might be right, vector format is sort of limited so it tends to produce a certain look in some cases (overlayed gradients and transparencies).

Thanks for your input.

Wheelerof4te

#4 Post by Wheelerof4te »

I think the ocean/see theme would look awesome on the Debian's main page. Plus, it makes sense to pick an summer inspired theme if Buster releases sometime in July/August of 2019th.
So my vote goes to number 4.

Lysander

#5 Post by Lysander »

Though I like your landscape theming, it has nothing to do with Buster. One of the reasons why the sea theme represents Debian 9 is because Stretch is an octopus. Buster is a dog [dachshund], so I don't know how you're going to work that into your artwork. You might have to do some research on dachshunds and their history.

We've had a discussion on Debian mascots here before, which amounted to nothing, as far as I can remember. I don't think anyone could agree on one. That idea has been running for years.

EDIT from Wikipedia:
Some writers and dachshund experts[54] have theorized that the early roots of the dachshund go back to ancient Egypt, where engravings were made featuring short-legged hunting dogs.[55] Recent discoveries by the American University in Cairo of mummified dachshund-like dogs from ancient Egyptian burial urns may lend credibility to this theory.[citation needed] In its modern incarnation, the dachshund is a creation of German breeders and includes elements of German, French, and English hounds and terriers. Dachshunds have been kept by royal courts all over Europe, including that of Queen Victoria, who was particularly enamored of the breed.[56]
There have to be some ideas there.
Last edited by Lysander on 2018-08-04 12:17, edited 2 times in total.

None1975
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#6 Post by None1975 »

I like #3 - Mountain. I voted for him.
Debian Wiki | DontBreakDebian, My config files on github

kcin

#7 Post by kcin »

@Lysander interesting, I should have done more research. I didn't think themes need to represent the names of the release at least there is no clear mention of that? But thanks for the suggestion, I might consider doing something with a dog.

@None1975 thanks.

I also made this today, kind of looks like the old OSX style background.

Also some old stuff I made between 2014-2011, but not in vector format.

Lysander

#8 Post by Lysander »

kcin wrote:I didn't think themes need to represent the names of the release at least there is no clear mention of that?
No, they don't. However, if you look at the Debian 9 concept artwork shortlist, you will see that about half of them had aquatic themes:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktop/Artwork/Stretch

You might end with a slight edge if you address something related to what Buster represents. Jessie and Wheezy's art did not relate to the Toy Story characters, however, Squeeze's did.

I would suggest looking at the last few shortlists too:

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktop/Artwork/Jessie

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktop/Artwork/Wheezy

https://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktop/Artwork/Squeeze

kcin

#9 Post by kcin »

Thanks a lot for your suggestions, I'm going to keep playing with various concepts. Yeah I've looked at all previous proposals.

I just a did quick pyramid thing, makes a nice simple wallpaper but too literal, might explore the connection between dachshund and ancient Egypt perhaps in more abstract form.

I read about the LibreOffice mascot thing and how they pretty much canceled it after due to some controversy, as far as I understand. Yeah maybe a mascot isn't really needed.

Innovate

#10 Post by Innovate »

2#

Can you design Debian crystal orb start menu arts for pixmaps?

Wheelerof4te

#11 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Debian's logo on top of ten dog paws lining the background space? Connected by a red leash.
How about that?

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#12 Post by cds60601 »

Heh - I keep trying to upload an image but keep getting a server error.
I just assume we (or we) are not allowed to?

Code: Select all

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, forum-admin@forums.debian.net and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.
Apache Server at forums.debian.net Port 80
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

golinux

#13 Post by golinux »

Post it elsewhere and link to it.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#14 Post by cds60601 »

Not a theme, I use this image for both background and screen lock. Would make a nice one and of course, would need approval from the creator.

https://imgur.com/McR6oCc

kcin

#15 Post by kcin »

@Wheelerof4te interesting idea, thank you.

@cds60601 I like that looks corporate, reminds me of a thinkpad. But I kind of want to make something original versus using someone else's work.

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#16 Post by cds60601 »

kcin wrote:@Wheelerof4te interesting idea, thank you.

@cds60601 I like that looks corporate, reminds me of a thinkpad. But I kind of want to make something original versus using someone else's work.
Roger that, kcin. I admire folks (such as yourself) that actually have a talent with imagery. Me, I got nadda, lol.

kcin

#17 Post by kcin »

I had another idea thanks to all the suggestions. Going for a dark theme and forgoing gradients and landscapes this time, might just make a different theme submission altogether.

Thoughts on this? I feel much stronger about this concept.

@cds60601 thank you for the kind words, the dark theme did inspire me in fact.

---------

I'm going to try to outline how I formulated my idea about this one, as it's fresh in my mind. So after some of the suggestions about the theme reflecting on dachshunds (Andy's dog buster from toy story), I started thinking how I could implement the idea without redrawing buster completely. At first I thought of doing a detailed vector dog, but then I felt it was too literal. I then stumbled upon picaso's hand drawing of his dachshunds, and while the drawing is just a squiggle, I really liked the concept of a single line.

I did a quick mouse sketch, but standing didn't feel right, so some modifcations and the semi sitting pose felt more right, I also removed the eye because I felt it wasn't needed to convey the concept and would be odd to have the dog looking at you.

I made a line vector in Inksape using a single line.

Afterwards I spent ages trying to figure out colors, brown looked bad on the dog, and then it struck me my drawing looked like a bird! So I had to modify it until it felt right.

Afterwards I was struggling with the color scheme, no amount of fills and gradients or colors seemed to be working for the background or line drawing. I re-read the thread and the wallpaper cds60601 posted gave me an idea to use darker colors for once and try a solid fill. For the line colors, i also noticed the background wallpaper in andy's room has a nice blue to green combination, I played around with it until I felt it looked nice, not identical but I feel it works.

I also felt that cramming the debian logo or debian text would not be necessary as just a hint of it works well as a background pattern in my opinion, was a little inspired by Ubuntu's wallpapers as they don't include ubuntu's logo either. (However the eye of the beaver kind of freaks me out and the colors are a little too much).

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#18 Post by cds60601 »

I personally like your idea here! For your consideration, have a look at this link:
http://cdn-www.dailypuppy.com/dog-image ... 1_w450.jpg

What might also work is a head shot, head tilted to either the left or right as though Buster would be trying to understand your words.
As to the Debian logo, perhaps an enlarged dog tag with the logo on it. The face would be done in the same fashion as in the movie or perhaps (and even better) in an outline as you have done and not an actual dog picture.

Just a thought ;)

Cheers
Chris

kcin

#19 Post by kcin »

Thanks for the suggestion chris, some good ideas. I've had a similar idea about the dog tag concept, might give it a try. I'm going to try a few different things in the coming weeks to further develop the proposal theme, so there is some variation perhaps for the different components like login screen, boot screen, etc.

golinux

#20 Post by golinux »

Please don't let history repeat itself. The last attempt at 'cutsy' - Space Fun - failed miserably. Sure, Buster is a dog but have you ever considered that cat-lovers might not appreciate having a dog on their desktop? (Disclaimer: I have no affection for either.) Really, Debian is more sophisticated than that. Neutral abstract usually wins the day and kiss is always the best principle. Over at Devuan, there was even an objection to gradients!