Scheduled Maintenance: We are aware of an issue with Google, AOL, and Yahoo services as email providers which are blocking new registrations. We are trying to fix the issue and we have several internal and external support tickets in process to resolve the issue. Please see: viewtopic.php?t=158230

Making a Debian Buster theme proposal, thoughts/suggests?

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!
Wheelerof4te

Re: Making a Debian Buster theme proposal, thoughts/suggests

#76 Post by Wheelerof4te »

Yeah, I'd go with the "magic smoke" explanation:
The swirl is “magic smoke”. Electrical engineer lore has it that when you burn out an electronic component, you cause the “magic smoke” that makes it work to be released. Once the magic smoke is gone, the component doesn’t work any longer. Debian is supposed to be the magic smoke that makes your computer work.
The fact that the other swirl comes out of the genie bottle just confirms it.

Lysander

#77 Post by Lysander »

Wheelerof4te wrote: The fact that the other swirl comes out of the genie bottle just confirms it.
I think you're probably right. My belief is that it's all three, but primarily the magic smoke/genie's lamp and secondly, Buzz Lightyear as an inspiration.

So there are dogs, lamps, even dogs as lamps. Plenty to give OP more ideas.

kcin

#78 Post by kcin »

Started working on final designs. If you see any issues in these previews let me know.

cd/dvd - do people still use this?

plymouth, i just copied SoftWaves and changed wallpaper and colors, seems far too complicated to make a brand new one. It's too fast on my SSD to test it properly I see it for 1-2 seconds at most and it spins only 1/3rd way...
I wonder why anyone would use it, I think you boot much faster if you don't?

login screen, will this work? I only use LightDM.

grub2 640x480

For isolinux-syslinux is pretty much same thing as grub2 but as it mentions @ 640x300 on wiki, however I noticed SoftWaves uses 640x480. Which one is correct?

installer header
Last edited by kcin on 2018-08-03 22:50, edited 2 times in total.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#79 Post by 4D696B65 »

kcin wrote:Started working on final designs. If you see any issues in these previews let me know.
Looks great, don't change a thing. :D

kcin

#80 Post by kcin »

4D696B65 wrote:
kcin wrote:Started working on final designs. If you see any issues in these previews let me know.
Thanks. :D

cds60601
df -h | participant
df -h | participant

#81 Post by cds60601 »

4D696B65 wrote:
+1
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious

kcin

#82 Post by kcin »

I have a question, maybe someone can help. So the entire theme is using the default Debian logos and will be released under GPL+2.0 as most themes are. However the custom logos I made, if I release right now under an open license anyone can come around and use it for any project, should I retain/reserve copyright and release it just in case Debian decided to uses it one day. Copyright with art can be a bit more confusing, if someone uses the logos no one else would use it then as brand identity gets confusing, etc.

debiman

#83 Post by debiman »

HuangLao wrote:HAHAHA...You need to go back and review the origins of Unix/Linux and Debian etc... top programmers/developers all utilize Taoist concepts, even the box you are using is based on the binary code of the I-Ching.
um. ok.
i guess after a statement like this any subsequent discussion becomes moot... but i cannot rest my case:
So your comment is laughable at best. I guess next your going to suggest that buzz's chin swirl; is hair, a cleft chin? Disney animators stated the chin swirl was to represent a galaxy ie: it was an easter egg..... Are you not aware the logo was to come out of a jinnis bottle?
https://www.debian.org/vote/1999/vote_0004
https://linux.slashdot.org/story/99/06/ ... ooses-logo

Yes, I've been around a long time. :)

Ref: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taijitu#/ ... uiqian.jpg
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File ... deways.svg
why the derision?
none of what you posted above, and in your previous post, shows any similarity to the debian swirl, or explains that that was indeed the intention when the logo was chosen.
i know what the Taijitu is, i like it, i like what it represents, i like that you promote this, but i still don't see how it has any similarity to the debian swirl.
golinux wrote:Youth is full of opinion based on nothing yet knows everything . . . or so they think. The internet has only made it more glaringly obvious.
so the fact that i promote change means i'm too young and stupid?
you do not know my age.

also i'm not saying the current logo is bad, i just think it's time for a change.
but of course change always meets resistance; i guess it's only natural inertia.

debiman

#84 Post by debiman »

kcin wrote:I have a question, maybe someone can help. So the entire theme is using the default Debian logos and will be released under GPL+2.0 as most themes are. However the custom logos I made, if I release right now under an open license anyone can come around and use it for any project, should I retain/reserve copyright and release it just in case Debian decided to uses it one day. Copyright with art can be a bit more confusing, if someone uses the logos no one else would use it then as brand identity gets confusing, etc.
i guess proposing a change to the logo will be an even more convoluted process than proposing a theme for the next release; maybe you should keep your copyright for now, you can still change the license later, should you be succesful.
once you get to that point i'm sure there's people to advise what the best license would be.

Lysander

#85 Post by Lysander »

cd/dvd - do people still use this?
Very nice, but I personally don't like the font you've used for the words Buster and amd64 etc. It's too cartoony. I wonder if even a mono/terminal font would work.
kcin wrote:Image
These are particularly good. The first of the two is excellent and I love how you've done the ears and the nose on the second one. You've taken a difficult concept [in my mind, it's hard to make dogs look classy, they're always too spritely and upbeat for my liking {you've guessed it, I'm not a dog person}] and made it look classic and even chic. Impressive. I currently don't run Debian but when I was with Stretch, I was thinking of going straight to Bulleye because I disliked the name Buster and its associations. However, your artwork has changed my mind and I would gladly sport that first wallpaper on my PC if I were to run it. It would even go well framed on the wall of an English pub next to all their other pictures of countryside hounds.

kcin

#86 Post by kcin »

Alright I've submitted the theme proposal with source files: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Theme ... ePrototype

I like the font, I think it looks modern, clean. I think perhaps some may not be used to the curved endings.

kcin

#88 Post by kcin »

Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions, futurePrototype ended up winning the vote and will be the default for Debian 10.

4D696B65
Site admin
Site admin

#89 Post by 4D696B65 »

Congratulations kcin :D

Lysander

#90 Post by Lysander »

kcin wrote:Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions, futurePrototype ended up winning the vote and will be the default for Debian 10.
It's almost criminal that this thread hasn't received more attention. I think most users don't realise that the winning design for Buster came from this thread.

kcin, your winning design is excellent and first place is thoroughly deserved. Well done.