I love Debian, but...

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

I love Debian, but...

Postby cds60601 » 2018-08-20 20:18

It's time to move onward. Been using Debian (and a variant) for better than 2 years.
Recently, Testing has been my cup of tea (although, I have been distro-hopping the past 8 months)
and I am pretty happy with it (overall) but the distro-hopping over the months (waiting for the release of KiCad v5) has been
both a good and bad thing.

The good; it allowed me to get a feel of what is out there and weight out the options of both newer apps
and the release cycle of other OS's. And more importantly, stream-lined my rebuild process under any given distro.

The bad; well - I was distro hopping and spending a good bit of time with builds (not that that is a bad thing of course).
Additionally, it opened my eyes that I spent all this time (mainly the past 4 weeks or so that KiCad 5 has been out)
when in many aspects, the answer was right in front of me all the time (along with a nagging question I ignored).

I wanted an OS that is rolling in nature with (and more importantly) getting newer versions of my must-have apps I need that will be updated in a reasonable time frame.
I also didn't really want to include 3rd party repos that might break things (although, I never had an issue with the Ubu-zilla repo).

Long story short, I had a great time over the weekend doing Arch/Manjaro install marathons to bring that down to the One.
And for the past 18 hours or so, I have been extremely happy with Arch! Sure, it was a chore getting it all tuned the way I like it, but it was a fun challenge. A challenge
I had not had since my OpenBSD/FreeBSD days a good number of years back.

For now, it appears I have satisfied my needs (and wants). Of course, that could change a year or two down the road (or sooner if something major hits).
But for now, I must bid a good friend, adieu. Oh, I'll still monitor the progress of Debian and frequent the forums.

Words of advice for Debian; I can only offer phrase: Keep doing what you have been doing. There is nothing wrong with the Debian process, I just out-grew the need to use it. That being said, I will ALWAYS continue to use Debian on my home server. Just can't beat it (up-time currently is 81 days).

Cheers
Chris
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.
Server: Debian 9 (Stretch) Workstation: Archlinux
cds60601

Re: I love Debian, but...

Postby stevepusser » 2018-08-21 02:32

Funny you would mention Kicad 5...http://mxrepo.com/mx/testrepo/pool/test/k/kicad/ :D
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Flightgear 2018.2.2, Pale Moon 28.2.0, wine-staging 3.20, GIMP 2.10.8, Cinnamon 3.8, Midori 6.0
stevepusser

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-08-21 14:22

You like rolling distros, and that's OK.
I chose Debian for different reasons than stability. Of course, it played a part, but most distros are stable enough for a desktop user.
I chose Debian because of it's legacy, and it's bright future. Because of it's reputation, and reach in open-source world.
And most of all, one chooses Debian for the support, since it is the largest free worldwide OS project ever made.

Good luck with Manjaro, although I personally would avoid it.
Wheelerof4te

Postby pcalvert » 2018-08-21 15:08

Speaking of Arch, I've seen some favorable comments about Obarun.

Some links for the curious:
https://web.obarun.org/
https://www.distrowatch.com/obarun

Phil
“Property is the fruit of labor; property is desirable; it is a positive good
in the world. That some should be rich shows that others may become
rich, and hence is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.”
— Abraham Lincoln
pcalvert

Postby cds60601 » 2018-08-21 15:35

Wheelerof4te wrote:Good luck with Manjaro, although I personally would avoid it.
\\Not sure how you come up with Manjaro as the one I picked.
Pretty sure I mentioned I went with Arch, but it was between the two - I did one base install of Arch without uefi working to get a feel for things at first,
Manjaro was to get past the longer more tedious install of Arch but to get into what the OS would feel like as a whole.

It is true that I opted to look at Manjaro (mainly for ease of installation) but the more tedious install of Arch is one of the things that pushed me to stay with it.
I loved the challenge of "tinkering" my way through a completed install and completely setup he way i wanted it to be set with only the options I wanted without the need to remove things after an original install.

All your comments as to why you are using Debian are valid (are are still valid reasons in my mind if I didn't need faster access to the must have apps) reasons to use it.
As I mentioned before, my needs outgrew some of the features I chose Debian for. I'm not bashing Debian or anyone that uses it, certainly not as I still do for my server for the very reasons you mentioned.
Yeah, 220, 221. Whatever it takes.
Server: Debian 9 (Stretch) Workstation: Archlinux
cds60601

Postby bedtime » 2018-08-21 16:47

Friends and lovers come and go...

But mother will always be there.

He'll be back. :roll:
OS: Debian GNU/Linux (Buster—testing); Kernel: 4.16.0-2-amd64; Shell: sh; WM: i3
Machine: HP ProDesk 600 G3—i7-7700, 8GB RAM, 256 SSD, Intel HD Graphics 630

bedtime

Postby stevepusser » 2018-08-21 18:30

Wheelerof4te wrote:You like rolling distros, and that's OK.
I chose Debian for different reasons than stability. Of course, it played a part, but most distros are stable enough for a desktop user.
I chose Debian because of it's legacy, and it's bright future. Because of it's reputation, and reach in open-source world.
And most of all, one chooses Debian for the support, since it is the largest free worldwide OS project ever made.

MX is certainly not a rolling distro. We just backport many more packages than most other distros. Stable plus backports != rolling. If a user doesn't want to use a backported version in MX, they can always install the standard Debian package.
The MX Linux repositories: Backports galore! If we don't have something, just ask and we'll try--we like challenges. New packages: Flightgear 2018.2.2, Pale Moon 28.2.0, wine-staging 3.20, GIMP 2.10.8, Cinnamon 3.8, Midori 6.0
stevepusser

Postby Wheelerof4te » 2018-08-21 19:02

^He said he was using Debian Testing, which is semi-rolling.
Didn't know he was into MX Linux.
Wheelerof4te

Postby stevepusser » 2018-08-22 01:25

Wheelerof4te wrote:^He said he was using Debian Testing, which is semi-rolling.

A lot of users will just combine testing with Sid if they just can't wait for shiny new packages, or at least learn how to backport the SNS themselves if they have the hardware...I was just pointing out that I find waiting four weeks for someone else to do it rather unreasonable myself.
stevepusser

Postby debiman » 2018-08-22 04:35

the time has finally come:
people are lumping together archlinux and manjaro as if the only difference was the ease of installation.
it is not (even though manjaro continues to claim "100% compatibility with archlinux").
manjaro uses different repositories, and whoknowswhatelse.
manjaro is to archlinux what ubuntu is to debian.

and yes, cds60601, i've seen your most recent reply.

still, i'm glad you did go with archlinux proper.
debiman

Postby CwF » 2018-08-22 13:53

cds60601 wrote:up-time currently is 81 days

I beat 750 days in the mid 2000's, 365 days multiple times...

So,
I love Debian, but...
...no other distro is up to par either, so I'll wait.
CwF

Postby milomak » 2018-08-22 17:38

stevepusser wrote:
Wheelerof4te wrote:^He said he was using Debian Testing, which is semi-rolling.

A lot of users will just combine testing with Sid if they just can't wait for shiny new packages, or at least learn how to backport the SNS themselves if they have the hardware...I was just pointing out that I find waiting four weeks for someone else to do it rather unreasonable myself.

indeed

Code: Select all
# apt-cache policy kicad
kicad:
  Installed: (none)
  Candidate: 5.0.0+dfsg1-2
  Version table:
     5.0.0+dfsg1-2 500
        500 http://debian.mirror.ac.za/debian sid/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.is.co.za/debian sid/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://debian.saix.net sid/main amd64 Packages
        500 http://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian sid/main amd64 Packages
iMac Late-2015 27" 5K Retina - MacOS and Windows 10 (Bootcamp)/ Debian Sid (External SSD)
Laptop (64-bit) - Debian Sid, Win10,
Kodi Box - Debian Sid
milomak

Postby slayde » 2018-08-24 06:10

Wheelerof4te wrote:You like rolling distros, and that's OK.

Although I certainly am attracted to the stability (and the fact that it turned a junky old commodity laptop into a usable machine), I can also identify with the reasons you cited. It's kinda nice to be using a good distro with a good name...
slayde

Return to General Discussion