Bluetooth: Why I Chose Debian

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

Bluetooth: Why I Chose Debian

Postby n89thanh » 2018-09-20 18:36

Bluetooth is why I chose to stick with Debian. This is in contrast to Windows 7. I've read that Windows 8/10 has better Bluetooth support, unfortunately, I do not have them. My experience is limited to Windows 7. Bluetooth does work out of the box on Debian, but not without some adjustments. Each time I install Debian Stretch, it involved some command-line changes to the configuration files to WiFi and Bluetooth for them to auto-detect and remain connected after a few minutes and after restarts/shutdowns. And it was the stability afterward that kept me glued to Debian. Everything CONTINUES to work after the initial configurations. Bluetooth A2DP was predictable. I can choose to connect/disconnect Bluetooth devices whenever I want, and the system would have no issues with it. I can rely on Debian to detect stereo Bluetooth audio and automatically switch to it.

With Windows, I was using Toshiba Bluetooth stack, which I've read is considered to be the best firmware for Windows 7. Unfortunately, it was never consistent. When I tried to reconnect a paired connection, it didn't work. When I tried to repair devices, it didn't work. When I woke/restarted a computer and tried to connect manually, it didn't work. With Linux there is a means to an end, but with Windows, there is no end, at least for Bluetooth, which is ever important as Bluetooth continues to be pervasive in our lives.
n89thanh

Return to General Discussion