for what it's worth...

Here you can discuss every aspect of Debian. Note: not for support requests!

for what it's worth...

Postby MALsPa » 2018-11-30 03:37

MALsPa

Re: for what it's worth...

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-11-30 05:57

Oh my, have I been a bad boy? :lol:

MiyoLinux wrote:I interpret his response as an attempt to add humor to the thread.

^ This.

Although I was also attempting to make a serious point about the importance of free speech on these boards and how we are all able to speak our minds without fear of censorship or punishment (beyond simple closure of the troublesome thread).
dbruce wrote:Ubuntu forums try to be like a coffee shop in Seattle. Debian forums strive for the charm and ambience of a skinhead bar in Bacau. We intend to keep it that way.
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby MALsPa » 2018-11-30 09:30

Head_on_a_Stick wrote:Oh my, have I been a bad boy?

Ha-ha -- No, I don't think so, man. I completely agree with what "MiyoLinux" wrote.

Sadly (to me), I don't think it's uncommon to see comments like this part of what "sgage" wrote about these forums, though:

I have never encountered a more gratuitously user-hostile tech forum than Debian Forums. Even in the Beginners subforum, asking a simple question, even just trying to ask if something is a known issue, opens yourself up for all sorts of abuse, insults, mockery, etc.
MALsPa

Postby Head_on_a_Stick » 2018-11-30 17:43

MALsPa wrote:I don't think it's uncommon to see comments like this

Well, it is kinda true :mrgreen:

Anyway, the reputation seems to scare off (most of) the help vampires pretty well so I don't have a problem with that.

The right to free speech does allow some abuse, I think the solution here is to grow a thicker skin but maybe I'm too harsh.
dbruce wrote:Ubuntu forums try to be like a coffee shop in Seattle. Debian forums strive for the charm and ambience of a skinhead bar in Bacau. We intend to keep it that way.
Head_on_a_Stick

Postby dilberts_left_nut » 2018-11-30 22:55

This is a recurring theme, perpetuated the lazy, thin-skinned and professionally offended types.
viewtopic.php?p=451014#p451014
:lol:
AdrianTM wrote:There's no hacker in my grandma...
dilberts_left_nut

Postby MALsPa » 2018-12-01 13:13

5. Be polite. Remember that the skill level of the forum members ranges from the absolute beginner to the very seasoned Linux user and what might be obvious to you might be very hard to understand for others. It's OK to point someone to other resources or suggest means of learning but do so politely; 'RTFM' has no place on this board.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=10653

Lol.
MALsPa

Return to General Discussion